|
Author Topic:   TM Map Format
Axe
posted September 28, 2000 01:12 AM            
Is there any docs on the Tread Marks map format? an Editor? anything?

Thanks all!

IP:

Dreamer
posted September 28, 2000 06:25 AM         
The terrain data is stored as raw 8 bit heightfield (1024*1024). Plus, there's lots of additional info towards the end of the file - like trees, textures and special stuff like the spewers and texture animation on the "Spew" map. These latter parts are rle encoded, 8 bit again. There you go. Now boot up your hex editor and go h4ck them maps.

A map editor was supposed to be released with the first version of the game, but never made it in due to problems discussed earlier this year (around Apri/May) - the lead programmer was undeservedly killed by some really nasty kind of cancer.

The main TM license agreement says not to disclose any information obtained by decoding the program files, but this is about as much as Mr. McNally revealed to the ppl here on this board before he died, so I guess it's OK, and I don't think you'll find out much more by asking here. Maybe contact Noper (you'll find some of his posts here on this board - I know he bothered to find out more.)

that's about as much as I can tell you, since I'm after the 3D data rather than into map creation. But then again, I guess almost everybody on this board would've told you much the same.

Good luck.

------------------
BWL][Dreamer, founder of the Black Widow Lance,
Maintenance slave of the virtual TM showroom

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted September 28, 2000 09:59 AM            
A map editor should be included with the new version of TM comming out in a couple of months...full version only.

IP:

NOPeR
posted October 05, 2000 07:46 PM            
*GASP* Your not insinuating that I would break the license agreement are you, Dreamer!

Haha, well Dreamer is right and I cannot give out any of the info that I have discovered, nor can I give out any of the utilities that I made. *sigh* If LDA would'a just taken me up on my offer to finish the editors for them months ago we could all be making maps, weapons, and tanks...

Anyways, I do hope they keep with the (original!) plan and release some editors with the new version. But until then, I can only do so much...Programming assistance, quick questions, etc.

NOPeR
jonhansen@usa.net

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted October 05, 2000 09:59 PM            
Gasp

I've been talking up support for a "full" mod scene with our publisher.

It's easier to talk about the options now, than before while negotiating a contract.

Jim

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted October 05, 2000 11:03 PM            
I can definately vouch for LDA getting tied up with publishers not wanting any editors for the game released! I believe it was Sony (that wound up not publishing the PC TM version) was the one that placed most of the restrictions on LDA about not releasing any editors...but now that contract negotiations are over, LDA has a lot more freedom. Of course they still don't want demo players making mods for the full version

IP:

Saint_Proverbius@Ni!
posted October 06, 2000 04:13 AM            
quote:
I can definately vouch for LDA getting tied up with publishers not wanting any editors for the game released!

I can understand that. After all, we all know games that are modifiable never sell well. Just think how many more copies of Quake3, Unreal Tournament, Half-Life, Total Annihilation, and all those other modifiable games would have sold if they were static.

IP:

Kaeto
posted October 06, 2000 03:10 PM            
He means DEMO mods. How many people woulda bought HL if they could have TFC and CS with the demo?

IP: