|
Author Topic:   starting a server question
babybeans
posted August 21, 2000 12:34 AM            
Is there a way to start a non-dedicated server so that I may play in the game? I can't seem to figure it out.

IP:

Karldar
posted August 21, 2000 12:39 AM            
You read my mind, babybeans. I was just about to ask if the master server is down. I can't get connected at all. It sez "Connection timed out". Anybody got any ideas. I'm having trouble finding any other servers right now. Oh, yeah, could someone gimme an idea how the TCP/IP connection method works? Does that just connect you to someone's individual server that's not recognized by the master? Also, why am I asking so many questions? :P

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Rex R
posted August 21, 2000 01:57 AM            
ayup the master is down(again) check the thread 'ahh not again' for info on what to do in this situation
and check : /forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000263.html
for a list of servers. HTH

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 21, 2000 07:17 AM         
Umm... You did perhaps notice that the post mentioned above is quite old and definitely not up to date. But you _can_ play over the net just by connecting to a single player game you know the address of.
If you don't know any, try and ICQ any of the more active posters of this BBS - some of us are online all night every night. Some might even know a server by IP addy.

------------------
BWL][Dreamer, founder of the Black Widow Lance,
Maintenance slave of the virtual TM showroom

IP:

swisher
posted August 21, 2000 08:55 AM            
Here's another link (pictorial) of how to determine when the Master Server is down and what to do about it: /forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000416.html

IP:

Karldar
posted August 21, 2000 01:43 PM            
thanx guys-that makes things much simpler-I think. I'll have to try out the server again today.

IP:

babybeans
posted August 22, 2000 12:24 AM            
Uh, none of you really answered my question. Is there a way to run my game as a server while participating? All I can find is 'dedicated server'. Bah! on that! I want to run a server and play along as well!

IP:

Karldar
posted August 22, 2000 04:17 AM            
Sorry, babybeans. I haven't actually tried to run my own server, but here's what the manual has to say 'bout it. Sounds a bit confusing to me, but I hope it helps a bit.

Hosting a multi-player game is easy. All Single Games are automatically multi-player hosts, which anyone else on your LAN can connect to (Ladder games can't be connected to). Simply start a Race or Battle Match on one computer (preferably a fast computer), and then search for and join the game using the Refresh LAN button from the other computers. A much more "fair" way of running a multi-player game is to launch a Dedicated Server on one computer, and have all players connect as clients. Use the Edit Dedicated Configuration and Launch Dedicated Server buttons on the Tread Marks Game Launcher menu to configure and start a Dedicated Server. If you want to run a server that is accessible to players over the Internet (only do this if you have a high bandwidth connection, such as a cable modem, DSL, or a T1 or higher), be sure to first go to www.TreadMarks.com to find out the current list of Master Server addresses that you should configure your server to send Heartbeats to. If you don't send Heartbeats to the correct Master Server address, nobody will be able to find your server! You may want to double check that your server is visible on the Internet by starting a game client and hitting the Refresh Internet button on the Server menu.

Note that you can run a Dedicated Server on the same computer as a game client, and you can also run multiple Dedicated Servers as long as each one has a different Server Port specified in a config file. You can specify which config file the game loads by putting its file name as the first command line parameter. If a second config file is specified, it will be read after both the first config file and the settings stored in the Registry, as a final override. (This is how the default computer speed configuration selection in the Game Launcher works.)

------------------
I like pie!

IP:

Kaeto
posted August 22, 2000 08:11 AM            
Babybeans : you CAN run your own server and play on. Run a dedicated server, then start TM, and join it!

IP:

babybeans
posted August 23, 2000 12:41 AM            
Ah, gotcha. Now if I start a dedicated server, then start the full game to play on it, do I need to select a different 'port', or was that only if I try to run multiple dedicated servers?

Thanks for the help by the way.

IP:

Kaeto
posted August 23, 2000 08:06 AM            
Nope, different ports is only for multiple servers...
Also, if you're on a LAN, join over the LAN instead of the 'net I.E. I join on 192.168.0.1, not 12.6.239.213...
If you have no clue what that means, don't sweat it... Just join the game

IP:

babybeans
posted August 23, 2000 01:47 PM            
Thanks a bunch. I didn't realize it was that easy. I suppose it sucks down resources to be running a dedicated and a full game at the same time, though.

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 23, 2000 02:04 PM         
not really.

IP:

Kaeto
posted August 23, 2000 03:14 PM            
Nah, the only thing that's doing double-time is the sim-engine, but you dont' lose much FPS, 'cept on really slow computers...

IP:

Dudymas
posted August 23, 2000 08:31 PM            
like kaeto's,

IP: