This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   harrassment
coax
Administrator
posted August 11, 2000 12:19 AM            
Today for the first time i was harrassed
I was playing in one of the demo servers, like a happy puppy. When all of a sudden one of the players was calling me names and threatened my sexuality. oh-well I fragged the living heck out of him
If you guys see someone by the name happy daze give him one for the old coax.
He hurt my feelings, peeeto was there too

[This message has been edited by coax (edited August 11, 2000).]

IP:

Dudymas
posted August 11, 2000 12:30 AM            
Hey, don't think you're alone, and i have to to ask that someone would filter some names, there are some, which JL and agree with me on this one, that are plainly written, no translater needed... "FRAG ME BECAUSE I"M TRYING TO TAKE AWAY FROM I GAME I'M JEALOUS OF AND I DON'T CARE HOW OFTEN YOU FRAG ME< JUST FRAG ME PLEASE"

JL and I had some fun trying out our new weap's on those who come with a bad name, but i went a little overboard and even let the AI's finish them off often, though that is pure... absolute cruelty to be left for AI meat.

If you people who do this read this, come to JL's server while we're playing there, and you'll get a good ounce of fun at your OWN cost, not ours... these are games, not places to testify evils and it is especially no place for talking about the evils of the infamous heretic, Kaeto: The Smelly High Speed Internet and Bragging About It WAY TOO Much one ( )...

IP:

Kaeto
posted August 11, 2000 08:12 AM            
Fwa! I 0wn j00! Like j00 would EVER beat ME! :P

IP:

swisher
posted August 11, 2000 08:56 AM            
Most games support a server "boot" function (this would let the server operator kick any person he or she desires).

This would be a nice enhancement. I've seen all kinds of crazy and disgusting names, too.

IP:

peeet
posted August 11, 2000 09:15 AM         
both of them were something else weren't they?

"happy daze" was a mouth and the fool named "a better player" (hah) was cheating up a storm. throughout the games, (s)he kept changing teams and then back in order to restore health or avoid nukes. what a killjoy.

but we sure kicked their butts, eh coax?
you were on fire, man!

looking forward to more controls on this sort of thing in the new version, LDA!

IP:

peeet
posted August 11, 2000 09:19 AM         
about the server op. kick, swisher - this was at NGI, which is served out of Italy (i think) - so i don't think anyone was at the helm at that time (or maybe EVER since NGI hosts so many games)

do any games have a voting kick? how has that worked in the past? i guess there's room for abuse there, too...

IP:

Kaeto
posted August 11, 2000 10:03 AM            
Vote-kick should be an option on the server.
Or, maybe the person who joins first can kick people (AS AN OPTION, that could be abused too)

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 11, 2000 04:35 PM            
players that have been playing for like 6 months + should be able to boot players, its not like we'll abuse it, 'cause we love this game. Maybe we could be like remote moderators, so when no one is at the helm we could still boot.

IP:

peeet
posted August 11, 2000 04:39 PM         
good idea! (ahh, the POWER!) that should be able to be implemented easily in the code as a server option. then each server op. could obtain an "official" list from LDA, or start their own... i guess the code would also have to provide for the "moderators" to enter a password when they log in...

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 11, 2000 04:42 PM            
yay, now people are listening. Just have to make LDA listen

IP:

Kaeto
posted August 11, 2000 05:42 PM            
Ugh, that would be a pain for LDA. But I would have NP being a mod. If they could set it up so that I had a lil' taskbar proggy that informed me when someone wanted me that would rock. But no matter how, I think the idea r0x0rs... Good one c04x!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 11, 2000 05:55 PM            
well, even like AOL has some of its members be moderators, so if someone is acting up they can get them out of a chat room. If someone is acting up it should be easy enough to block someones IP for the duration of the game

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 11, 2000 06:48 PM            
now this is getting way to bad, with TM going sega and everything theres players with names like "black person slayer" but with a more derogatory name then black person. Seriously its becoming like a nazi white supremisist homophobic center of the universe.

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted August 11, 2000 06:56 PM            
We're listening....

....and we'll work out something...

The beta test will have some knew features that will help to some extent.

Jim

IP:

Dudymas
posted August 11, 2000 07:00 PM            
tell me what you think of this, you must be registered to the BBS to boot players, that way if anyone abuses, tell LDA and they'll cut their access to booting, someone please tell me what you think of this instead of just passing up my post with something else, OKAY? I said please, i asked in a way i think is nice, i would like some honest responses here since this is a very serious thing that can cost new players if they see people acting harshly and cheating all the time with perverted and disgusting names.

IP:

Kaeto
posted August 11, 2000 08:30 PM            
Dudy : I don't think that would work to well. When you let everyone moderate, people who want to can really mess stuff up...

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 11, 2000 09:19 PM            
not the best idea, better to have a few moderators then hundreds

IP:

Kaeto
posted August 11, 2000 10:16 PM            
'specially since lots of us (namely me, RC and Hawk) are on like all the time...

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted August 11, 2000 11:22 PM            
Me? On all the time Kaeto - haven't played in a couple of months

I'm stuck with a ATI Rage card at home - have to run software mode.

As for harrassment, Coax, you're not alone. When I used to play all the time it didn't matter who was on I'd win, and there were an awful lot of sore losers. That was mostly during Beta 2.0 and 2.1.

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Forum admin for Terrain Deformation Tread Marks Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 12, 2000 12:51 AM            
so then, what should we do?

IP:

peeet
posted August 12, 2000 12:54 AM         
(thanks for letting us know you're listening, jim!)

IP:

Rex R
posted August 12, 2000 02:27 AM            
suggestion let the server use a LDA approved list of objectional names then when someone tries to log on using 1 of the names on the list the server can refuse/block them from logging on. though I suppose you would have to include a msg something to the affect " the server has refused your request due to an inappropriate name, please change your user name if you wish to try again"

IP:

Kaeto
posted August 12, 2000 09:52 AM            
I disagree with you Rex, for this reason :
You can't legislate morality, and if it doesn't bother anyone, you really should leave them alone. I like the mod idea better. That way, if someone was calling people names or something, they could type "call mod" or something and it let the mods know... My idea would be to have a little tray app for the mods. When someone calls a mod, all the mods who are on get an alert. Of course, that could be abused too, but if the mods had banning ability, I doubt people would page them to death

RC - yeah, I know, but when you go back to college?

[This message has been edited by Kaeto (edited August 12, 2000).]

IP:

Rex R
posted August 12, 2000 12:31 PM            
well it twas just a thought. though the the thought of somebody calling themselves a (insert derrogitory name here) slayer in a multi-player game does seem silly (to me) sort of like my mother's comment after hearing someone griping " effing potholes" how can you tell?

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 12, 2000 03:05 PM            
I'm with kaeto, it seems to be the most functional idea.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2