This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Site is finally up!!!
Dreamer
posted July 28, 2000 06:00 PM         
While still under construction, my new site is now up at http://members.fortunecity.com/virtualtm
I'd be really glad for people to come by, fill my messageboard, boost my counter, have fun and maybe even like the page.
(The cover is nothing. Don't complain about that.)

------------------
Hail and kill.

IP:

AlbiWan
posted July 28, 2000 06:48 PM            
Don't think I'll go back there until I build my new system, it locked my puter up twice. Sorry man, I tried to look.

Do or do not, there is no try!!! - Yoda

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 28, 2000 07:13 PM         
Wel, well, problems, problems. Post 'em here or even better: Post them at my site - I've got a message board there, too, so I can see what I can do.

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 28, 2000 07:20 PM            
Make it so you don't have to register to use the forum... That's the only way people will use it...

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 28, 2000 08:37 PM         
done.

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 29, 2000 12:08 AM            
Heyeeeeeee, what in the world is with the Cover, ACK, PUHTOOOOOOOOEEEEEE, P.U., Hawk-B.O., UCKY< NASTY, DISGUSTING, WORTHLESS, USELESS, DISGRACEFUL TO THE NET, FLAMIN FLABIGASTER WHY IN THE WORLD DID YOU EVER MAKE A SITE IF IT WOULD HAVE A COVER LIKE THAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?

IOW: you don't have to tell us to keep from commenting on the cover of the site unless you want a post like this, LOL

IP:

AlbiWan
posted July 29, 2000 12:28 AM            
I've got a really slow system right now because I gave my PIII 192MB 14gig sound blaster gold ati 16MB 250 zip etc...., the list goes on, to my sister cause hers broke and I am fixing this one for her. I will be bulding my own little server soon, so until then.......?????? Give me a day on that and I will go check it out.

------------------
Do or do not, there is no try!!! - Yoda

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 31, 2000 02:18 PM         
Houston, we have a problem.... And I need assistance. I added some parts to the Site - now my frame rate is down to 0.75fps
I would _really_ appreciate if some of you could have a look and report their fps and (CPU)/(GPU)/(VRML viewer) config. Please?

IP:

Hawk
posted July 31, 2000 02:38 PM            
It does not stink like a batch of Dudymas-made cookie dough Dudy-made cookie dough = BLAH!

[This message has been edited by Hawk (edited July 31, 2000).]

IP:

Hawk
posted July 31, 2000 02:39 PM            
But basically, I like it. However, I still consider any cookie dough produced by Dudymas to be inedible :P

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 31, 2000 08:52 PM            
With MightyGPU (TM) enabled (gotta love the fact that the s2k's GPU is enableable/disableable (even though it sux0rs))
About 1 FPS
With SuckyGPU disabled...
About 1 FPS
Wow... The S2K GPU REALLY shows off there!

IP:

peeet
posted August 01, 2000 10:19 AM         
have only tried from work (DSL LINE )

system: 400MHz celeron, 96Mb RAM, ATI RagePro vid chip (8Mb).

i get only ~1fps, which is the same as what i got before...

also, how do the "pull me" links work? i tried clicking, double-clicking, grabbing w/ mouse - nothing did anything...

good work - keep it up. hard to navigate at that framerate - i suggest you add viewpoints to each tank model, or make some buttons at the entrance that will take the viewer to the selected location along a path automatically...

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 01, 2000 12:17 PM         
updated the page a bit today - even bigger download now (about 1 meg!). At least I can now start adding Screenshots to decorate the hallways a bit. Next few things will be:
-getting a commercial version of my VRML editor
-compressing the VRML files to speed up download times
-adding some controls to rotate and raise/lower the tank models
-revising the architecture to allow for weapons to be added in

Nothing of that will help the frame rate in any way.
Defining viewpoints to allow users to directly jump to the tank model they select might be a tempaorary solution but would spoil the experience, I am afraid.
One of the final steps will be for me to try and change this into some kind of dynamic VRML with the complicated bits loaded only when in view, but that's goona be a tough piece of work.

Today's update might be the last for about 10 days, as I'm going to spend some time with my family and that means I won't have access to a decent deck to review my work.

------------------
Hail and kill.

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 01, 2000 02:01 PM         
The "Pull Me" tab doesn't work, you say? Drag it along the Y-axis. As long as your fps are so low: klick, drag, _wait_.
Btw. Right now, it seems textures are the next main point and could be done (alpha) by tomorrow.

------------------
Hail and kill.

IP:

peeet
posted August 01, 2000 02:38 PM         
(heh heh) then please add a railing (or invisible wall) to the ramp at the entrance so i won't fall off - if i had an avatar for your site, it would definitely look like it was drunk when moving around...

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 01, 2000 03:01 PM         
this post was obsolete

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited August 01, 2000).]

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 01, 2000 08:04 PM         
Very well, added viewpoints for every tank, added controls for rotating, lifting and so on, set a sensor range for all interactive parts of the scene (you have to get quite close before you can trigger or push or pull anything at all (to keep fps above 0.5 on my system))...
That's it for today. Tomorrow will - hopefully - see some automatic doors and/or outdoor features in the scene.

Dudy says he loves it. Even without being high on dough.

------------------
Hail and kill.

IP:

Dudymas
posted August 02, 2000 02:20 AM            
ummmmmm, i have hardly any trouble there, my cpu runs FINE for once, i got some stuff to fix it... ... i would say, by best guess, i get anywhere from 15 fps to 50fps, but i can't get an exact estimate

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 02, 2000 06:58 PM         
Major update today!
Did something to drastically increase fps...
Added doors... (yes, automatic ones.)
Added the first bits of landscape around the building...
Had fun...
Come in and find out.

------------------
Hail and kill.

IP:

Dudymas
posted August 03, 2000 03:15 AM            
HOLY !%&&*%&(~^&)%*)$#&^)(@ now you are officially the TM VRML Lord, i think you should be known as Mr. VRML on TM online, LOL

IP:

Hawk
posted August 03, 2000 07:00 AM            
We have another thesaurus word, "Dreamer" now means "VRML"!!!!

------------------
I'm about to drop the hammer, and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

IP:

Dudymas
posted August 03, 2000 06:47 PM            
ROFL, and "LDA" is a synonym for "AWESOME"

IP:

Hawk
posted August 04, 2000 07:32 AM            
Yep, right you are

------------------
I'm about to drop the hammer, and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

IP:

peeet
posted August 04, 2000 10:20 AM         
it's really coming along, dreamer! i love the automatic doors! and i finally got the "pull me" tabs figured out

the tank view consoles are really neat. could you make the "rotate tank" control into a button that starts/stops rotation of the model? rather than the user rotating it around... i find it hard to get the view that i want, and i'd like to see all views anyway

great site - keep up the great work!

IP:

Dudymas
posted August 04, 2000 01:08 PM            
maybe an automatic rotate button too, keep working on that site there dreamer

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2