|
Author Topic:   Question for LDA (Ain't I FULL of 'em?)
Kaeto
posted July 23, 2000 01:10 PM            
So, the new TM uses D3D and OGL. I wonder (hope) if you included a timedemo thingy. Because there isn't really a good benchmark out there that does the same thing in D3D and GL.
Personally, I'm sticking with OGL, due to the fact that the S2K only uses 2 of it's 4 texel engines in D3D with the current drivers...

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted July 23, 2000 01:35 PM            
The D3D version of Tread Marks uses Direct-X 5 and is for the Dreamcast port, so we may not bother to optimize D3D for the PC.

OpenGl is still the standard for the Tread Marks engine on the PC and makes a Mac port possible.

Jim

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 23, 2000 01:53 PM            
l33t!
I would _LOVE_ to see a Linux TM, too

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 23, 2000 02:56 PM            
Another question : Have you improved 'net play at all? Also, have you ruined LAN play in the process? (don't laugh, it's happened to me before)

And a request - I miss Seumas's posts about what he'd done with the TM engine, development-wise... I'd like to see .plans or something along that line... Just an idea from the king of elipsis

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 23, 2000 02:57 PM         
LDA, case you have not yet discarded any thoughts concerning a D3D PC version...
Personally, I have not used any D3D wrapper yet, but I think that TM should look SWEET with ye good olde Revelator... which only supports D3D.

------------------
Hail and kill.

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 23, 2000 05:52 PM            
Have you tried the D3D_ON thing? I don't know how many times I've gotta say that

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted July 23, 2000 06:30 PM            
We tried a wrapper approach and weren't impressed.

...did a separate D3D engine rewrite instead.

Jim

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 23, 2000 10:22 PM            
hey, add an e to the end of OGL and you have another word. Just thought that was important to notice.

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 24, 2000 08:52 AM            
<SARCASM> I am offended by that remark dudy </SARCASM> :P

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 24, 2000 08:55 AM         
Kaeto: What do you think I am talking about? LDA got the point: Wrapper sux.
But, if they do a rewrite in D3D, maybe (as a humanitarian action) they could implement that as a PC option, too, for people with ATI cards or people who like to use Shutter glasses or the like and many others who for some reason won't be able to properly use OpenGL nor Glide. (Please?)

------------------
Hail and kill.

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 24, 2000 10:16 AM            
noooooooooo, don't be nice to those who are forsaken in the PC world with Windows AND ATI VCards. Bwahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahah
Why? cause, cause, that's nice n' stuff.

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 24, 2000 10:24 AM            
Dreamer : I wasn't saying it would be bad or something for a D3D PC version, but I doubt that it will happen, because D3D is a pain in the butt, and nowadays what is anyone doing with a video card that doesn't support GL right?

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 24, 2000 10:35 AM            
Doh, is that why i shouldah never gotten that directx sdk 7.0 cd?

IP:

Hawk
posted July 24, 2000 11:25 AM            
Probably :P

------------------
Hawk Messages Corporation
(A division of l33t Incorporated)

IP:

Hawk
posted July 24, 2000 11:27 AM            
Hey, this post finishes it off! NO LAST WORDS FOR DUDY IN THE LAST 30 DAYS! Muahahaha!

------------------

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 24, 2000 12:01 PM            
why, tell me, in all truth why i shouldn't get the last post?

IP:

Hawk
posted July 24, 2000 01:45 PM            
Because you brought it up. If you hadn't said anything about it arguing with Dreamer I wouldn't have to do this. Sorry. :P

------------------

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 24, 2000 02:06 PM            
Dudy! How the heck did YOU get a DX SDK CD?

IP: