|
Author Topic:   UserNames
LDA
Administrator
posted July 22, 2000 02:26 PM            
I've had to make a decision about UserNames.

If a member uses an unacceptable name or posts unacceptable comments, whether in an official language or using "pig-Latin" or other indirect means, they will be removed.

Although I may not personally be bothered by these names or references, I must consider the community as a whole when making decisions on what is appropriate or not.

Jim

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 22, 2000 03:23 PM            
May I ask what the heck you're talking about? I have been gone for the last week (hehe Hawk ) so I musta missed something...

IP:

uck
posted July 22, 2000 03:45 PM            
I'm impressed, very few people recognize pig-latin anymore

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted July 22, 2000 05:49 PM            
We spotted it from the beginning...but decided to watch as your posts themselves were ok...

...and I would have left it except that one thing can lead to another...thin edge of the wedge and all

Jim

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 22, 2000 07:46 PM         
Looks to me a none-too-common dialect. But then again, there never was any ISO-standard for it, I presume. Plus, who'd thought of it these days...
Good night, world. (For today...)

------------------
Hail and kill.

IP:

DvsDuke
posted July 23, 2000 02:39 AM            
I call the 1st Amendment :P

Well i realy dont think its that big of a dill i would love to see some one try this on lets say "Quake 3" BBS ...hahaha i dont care as long its not a stupid use for no reson. In any other use it dose not offend me....they are words noting much if a person(s) take them to heart then they shold not be reading messages on a BBS. After all we are PEOPLE...

Possibly include a little check-mark to filter or something.

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 23, 2000 01:06 PM            
Some people _DO_ get offended at swearing, Dvs.

IP:

Sardine
posted July 23, 2000 02:28 PM         
Pig Latin? I tried studying that in school, but I couldn't get the articles correct! Is it "ehtay" or "hetay"?

Well shucks and by-golly I guess you would wish for me to refrain from using symbols in place of spelling out the whole word as well, eh? (my preferred method of BBS Cursing).

I will do my best to be more politically correct as I would not like to offend anyone particularly the TM deities!

I should have thought better before as I know we do have some rather young (cookie consuming) contributers. LOL

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 23, 2000 02:44 PM            
DvsDuke is younger than Dudy is, but you wouldn't know it from his mouth

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted July 23, 2000 06:38 PM            

What I would consider bad manners to use in a posting name, I may consider no big deal to see crytically included in an appropriate statement about some event.

It's more of a respect for others issue rather than a respect for language issue.

Jim

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 23, 2000 10:41 PM            
I disagree with swearing, that's why (forgive me for typing it) Kaeto should be starred more, like K***o, or maybe just say the K word. mwahahah.

"But seriously folks" i am easily offended by swearing. I don't think we have to be too colorful... do we? Well, Cryo wants TM to be more colorful. I say that LDA has the right to instruct us to break into Cryo's home and and wash his mouth out with soap bars. With latex gloves of course... otherwise things could get nasty if we let Kaeto infect Cryo's mouth with his nasty cursing germs. We'll have to put a dishwasher in his mouth and pour Comet and Ajax into Cryo's mouth to clean off the cooties and other things that Kaeto would put in there. Welllllll, i guess it is time to tease peeeeto. Any more posts for me to use against him? of course, my perfection makes me immune to any persecution from the peanut gallery. Now then, i think we should put up a some sort of a word filter in servers so that if someone wants to keep cursing out of their server, they just have to set:

Peeetowords = 1

into the server file and we could have different degrees of it, such as 1 as the least protection, protecting from four letter words(put's X's over the offending words) ... then we have 2 for longer words (put's X's over the offending words) .... then we have 3 as max that covers phrases along with the words (takes out the chat message, or covers the ENTIRE message with another message, such as "Eat at Joe's" weeeeeeee)

okay, that's my good deed for the day, more chaos is at hand!!!

------------------
.I'm Not Klutzy!!!!!!!!!.
. I'm Very Over .
. Talented .

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 23, 2000 10:59 PM            
Agreed with our resident diaper-man

IP:

Hawk
posted July 24, 2000 06:45 AM            
Heeheehee...His attention span leaves a lot to be desired, halfway through a message he switches tracks from insulting Kaeto to insulting Cryo and finally to insulting Peeet. He reminds me of me when I was his age *sniff sadly*

------------------
Hawk Messages Corporation
(A division of l33t Incorporated)

IP:

swisher
posted July 24, 2000 08:51 AM            
For game play, personal choice is probably best. Have an ancillary file in the addons folder (perhaps addons\filters\wordfilter.ent) to be used as a word converter:

f123 = darn
s123 = drat
etc...

If the file is there, words get converted; if it's not, they don't. Of course, player names would be run through this file, too.

For BBS, LDA has to do it I guess.

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited July 24, 2000).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 24, 2000 08:55 AM            
Heck, just put a KaetoWords.txt file in the TM folder (how the HECK did I get this rep for swearing with dudy?)

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 24, 2000 09:55 AM            
it was your turn to get teased. You were once an evil being and a source of evil before you got a full version of TM and i wanted to continue teasing you... I actually act like hawk right now... naw, you shoulda seen me when i was younger... if i couldn't scare a school into having bookbag checks and metal detectors, why did columbine become such a big deal. I guess i was too gory for publicity or people were jealous of my "FUN" instincts.

------------------
.I'm Not Klutzy!!!!!!!!!.
. I'm Very Over .
. Talented .

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 24, 2000 10:08 AM            
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i almost ferdot, I need something from you LDA, we have a problem, honestly. You know how messages don't last that long on the play screen, couldn't you make afile so that the longer the message, the more time there is to read it? Or if someone puts a REALLY big word into their message that no one can pronounce could you have the post time increased so we could read it. Yes, you would have aproblem with messages underneath that one disappearing before we could read them, so don't allow anything below the long message run away with its insults from me to JL because he fragged me with a jump missile after i started flying thorugh the air because of another one and i had to wait till i landed before i could push the fire button. That is another problem in fact (funny that a joke would reveal it, heheheheheh, thanks JL) when you get launched by a, say matter bomb, if you press fire and spawn, you'll still be flying at high speeds. Now, some games this can get DOWNRIGHT ANNOYING, and i'd like it turned off. So could you make another option which is by default off that is called
flyingJLspawns = X (in remembrance of JL, who reminded me, heheheheh) in the config file? Anodder thing i may want to TOGGLE (remember that this can be a fun thing too) on/off. Let's say you increased your tanks max speed and accel to 200%. Then not only would you be twice as fast, a nuke would launch you twice as high. Thusly, when me and JL put the maxspeed of the t-72 to 1250 mps and the accel to 17 mps we had a little problem with the jump missiles, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH, you, WERE GONE, period. you'd wait minutes for to land, then you'd either trek it back or kill yourself, could you make it so that we fly high, NOT far, that is what i want. You didn't dare kill yourself in flight, you'd just respawn and fly fffffaaaaaaarrrrrrrr away again............... get the picture? thnx now, fix it or i'll let Peeeeeto play on the servers more... mwahahahahah

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 24, 2000 10:27 AM            
Methinks a scroll up/down for the messages would be good...

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 24, 2000 10:30 AM            
ummm, LDA, if you're cracking down on such things, why haven't you destroyed the link in the screen shots topic of Heavy Metal?

IP:

Hawk
posted July 24, 2000 11:23 AM            
Dudy, the link is different. It's not actively showing up on the BBS, and you can choose whether or not you want to go see it. Having the picture posted on the BBS is entirely a different matter...

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 24, 2000 11:59 AM            
yeah, you don't kick me off even though my face is ugly enough to crack the mirror

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 24, 2000 12:03 PM            
And Hawk and I are assumed to be male models because???

IP: