This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   How much does a $34.95 game cost?
djy
posted July 13, 2000 10:39 AM         
Answer... near enough 60.00! With free cracks(?) too!

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 13, 2000 12:09 PM            
Cracks?

IP:

Moriarty
posted July 13, 2000 12:19 PM            
You're annoyed by the cost for S&H, I presume?
I had the same problem. What's worse, it doesn't even get better if you order more than one copy (like, when you team up with some friends to order) because S&H is per-copy.
Best way to save money: find someone who plans a trip to the US. Or better yet, find someone from the US who plans to come over here. worked for me... lucky me.
cheers

------------------
I doubt, therefore I might be.

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 13, 2000 02:41 PM            
Better yet, move to the US :P

IP:

djy
posted July 13, 2000 02:56 PM         
Me unhappy? Not really. The game is excellent, the delivery first rate (two days!) I just wasn't quite expecting such a sting in the tail... 13.01 VAT & administration costs. Anyone listening going to the states in the next few months?

As for cracks, a reference to an earlier topic. The last thing I want is for a faulty CD to go belly up in my brand spanking new slot type 16/40 DVD ROM drive.

IP:

djy
posted July 13, 2000 02:59 PM         
Move to the States... love to, but I think the wife, kids, dog and cat might object.

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 13, 2000 06:04 PM            
Hehe
TM doesn't have copy protection. That's good. Copy protection is USELESS, except to make people with DVD drives and kenwood drives not able to play the game. You can just plain old burn a copy of it...

IP:

LDA AL
unregistered
posted July 13, 2000 06:12 PM           
You can send a check or money order directly to LDA. We only add $5 US S&H. English pounds are cool, too.
Kaeto is right. Burn a copy for protection. If you do a full install you only have to stick in the CD at start up then take it out again. That should protect it from damage.

[This message has been edited by LDA AL (edited July 13, 2000).]

IP:

Hawk
posted July 13, 2000 07:51 PM            
Hey, LDA Al! Nice to see that LDA's hiring on some new people!

------------------
Hawk Messages Corporation
(A division of l33t Incorporated)

IP:

peeeto
posted July 13, 2000 08:27 PM         
LOL - hi LDA AL!

(laughing 'cause in Hawk's message AL looks like AI. hey, sheldon - add AI-AL to your bot anme list )

so, Al - do you ever play TM online? we'd still love to set up a game some evening with you folks at LDA!

IP:

Cell
posted July 13, 2000 09:59 PM         

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited March 02, 2002).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 13, 2000 10:02 PM            
Hehe. LDA vs. The World would be, umm, lopsided. Maybe LDA+TC vs. The World would be more balanced...

IP:

Charliey
posted July 13, 2000 10:07 PM            
LDA vs. the world, wouldnt be balenced, unless LDA knows some secret way to automatically win .

------------------
-Charlie
(aka Chuck)

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 14, 2000 01:03 AM            
Cough!!!!

------------------
When all else fails,
!Play The POLKA!
Dudymas
!!!

IP:

djy
posted July 14, 2000 06:08 AM         
For the record, should anyone be interested, here's how import to the U.K. works; as per the "Supplementary Declaration Acceptance Advice". Personally, I think it's a bit of a hoot.

Note.
Freight Charges (GBP) 19.00
VAT Value Adjustment (GBP) 5.92
Invoice Total (USD) 34.95 (Ex. Rate 1.4726)

On arriving in this country Fed-Ex inform HM Customs & Excise who apply VAT at the normal rate of 17.5%. Rather than delay delivery Fed-Ex pay this on behalf of the recipient and charge 4.50 for the pleasure. (That's the administration fee).

So how is it that if VAT is applied at 17.5% I'm being asked to pay 8.51? "Ah", said the young lady at Fed-Ex (I gave them a ring), "What they do is this..."

Take the Invoice total value and convert it using the exchange rate multiplier/divider (23.73). Add to it the carriage fee of 19.00, gives 42.73. Customs & Excise now apply a percentage fiddle factor, which I'm assured is applied to all items being imported to the UK. This is the VAT Value Adjustment, the additional 5.92. Add that to the 42.73, gives 48.65, now apply VAT at 17.5% should give a VAT figure of 8.51. Add to that the 4.50 and you have the invoice total of 13.01 which Fed-Ex have recently sent me.

Marvelous isn't it. I think I'm in the wrong job. Still it could have been worse, we could have been using the dreaded Euro, goodness knows what that would have come out as.

P.S.
James, I was under the impression that the taking the disc out trick only applied to on-line (muli-player sessions). I need practice (loads more practice) before I venture forth, so it's single player only at the moment.

As for making a copy; job done.

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 14, 2000 12:48 PM            
James?

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted July 14, 2000 01:37 PM            
The "disc removal trick" is for single player.

The disc isn't needed to start and play in multiplayer mode.

Jim

IP:

djy
posted July 14, 2000 03:02 PM         
The lights may be on, but there's definately no-one home.

I plead insanity, lack of sleep, wet doggie nose in ear and kitty playing hop-scotch on keyboard.

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 14, 2000 03:40 PM            
this reminds me, i had a cat once that was so fat, he'd sneak up on me and, when i was sleeping, would climb up onto my bed and sleep on my ankles or chest and i couldn't get up in the morning because he was sooooooo heavy. Heh, but i'm older now and the cats don't usually get too heavy, it's just that now, i'm too sleepy to get out of bed when my cat sleeps on me.........

IP:

Hawk
posted July 24, 2000 11:06 AM            
...Okay, the exchange rate from dollars to pounds must be evil. (And no last post for you Dudy!!!!!)

------------------
Hawk Messages Corporation
(A division of l33t Incorporated)

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 24, 2000 11:30 AM            
why?

IP:

djy
posted July 24, 2000 12:32 PM         
?

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted February 26, 2001 01:59 PM            
What ever happened to LDA AL?

------------------
TM bios

IP:

Dreamer
posted February 26, 2001 02:36 PM         
...taking into account that he/she posted as "unregistered" - shouldn't have been possible at all...

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted February 26, 2001 09:29 PM            
I have a cat its like 15 years oldd. Im surprised its still alive!!!!! ITS ANCIENT!!!!! ITS THE WALKING DEAD!!!!!???? ok that didn't make sense but ohwell. Lets try to maek it a smiley o its own
.^.^.
\__/

Is it a master piceice NO! but its fits the cats style yahoo.

ok the ears looked werid when i posted one sec im changeing the kitty stand back!

------------------
Commander and Chief of Smiley Kingdom

[This message has been edited by GoldAnt_Number1 (edited February 26, 2001).]

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2