This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Floating tank, Possible?
Charliey
posted July 11, 2000 10:50 PM            
I was wondering, would there be any way to make a floating tank? Since the liquid tanks hover shouldnt they go over the water, and not through it? I think it would be cool to somehow make a hover tank that can go over the water.
Just a though,
-Charlie

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted July 13, 2000 08:19 PM            
Sort of...

When creating the mesh for the tank you can have the tank balanced on a pillar. I think that will work, though I have yet to actually try it...

I have been suggesting this since, um, Beta 2 as an option for hover tanks...LDA ran out of time to add more features though. Oh well...

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Forum admin for Terrain Deformation Tread Marks Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted February 03, 2001 10:33 PM            
Hey sorry RC i just clicked on a page number (17) to see what i'd get and it answered a question of mine weeeeeeeeeeeeee. Would it be possible to have to textures for a tank RC then type the one of like a stand wrong on purpose so the tank hovers

------------------
Can't forget those invisible smileys at the bottem now can we

IP:

Rex R
posted February 04, 2001 02:04 AM            
you can give the appearence of floating, however that illusion is shattered the first time you encounter water, mainly because you achieve this effect by having an invisible set of 'legs'. in order to have the tank hover above the waters surface it would need to opperate about 2 meters above the land, and thus make a great target

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted February 04, 2001 07:12 PM            
SO!!! come on peoples lets have one like 1/2 or 1 meter who cares about water I eeven got this nice little flying saucer texture we could slap right no front

------------------

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted February 05, 2001 09:59 PM            
Could u just have really really REALLY thin legs that r placed just right

------------------

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 05, 2001 10:09 PM            
Yes, but the tank would probably flip over VERY easily...

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 06, 2001 08:31 AM            
if u used a "floating" tank, you would have to aim from much further away with standard ammo, the machine gun would be rendered almost obsoleto so homing missles and cruise would be your best defence.

besides ho u hope to adjust the pitch and yaw with a tank sat on an invisible stilt - if you backwards over the smallest bump or hill you would fall over - very silly idea.

-=[/2]=-

IP:

peeeto
posted February 06, 2001 09:48 AM         
naw... you wouldn't have any problems like that.

any tank's interaction with the ground (or projectile, for that matter) is based on a bounding box for that model (i think LDAJim said that the gun mesh is not included in calculation of the bounding box - only the tank body + turret).

so, it doesn't matter what type of "legs" your model has - it will still act like a big box that is as long, wide and tall as the mesh is.

RexR and i have successfully made a floating tank (it's being tested now). what i did was place just one small polygon beneath the tank's hull to force the hull up off the ground. then, interestingly, i was able to force the UV texture coordinates for the small polygon off of the texture bitmap, which made the small polygon invisible!

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted February 06, 2001 06:46 PM            
Cool. R u gonna put it on RC's site?

------------------

IP:

peeeto
posted February 06, 2001 10:09 PM         
it's RexR's baby. yes it will be made available when it's ready.

IP:

Dudymas
posted February 06, 2001 11:40 PM            
or you could do like JL and me and harness a bug that develops when you make a crater larger than 1000 meters in diameter........ heheheheheheheheh

IP:

Rex R
posted February 07, 2001 01:31 AM            
GA1 I've yet to put the final polish on it (as it were) update the archive. might send it to RC on thursday(ifn the creek don't rise) don't expect a 'super'tank though. I'm one of those ppl who believes in game balance

IP:

peeeto
posted February 07, 2001 08:18 AM         
dudy - anyone ever tell you that you're nuts?!
what the heck does that have to do with a tank mod?...

BTW, tell us what happens when you make a crater >1000m dia.?

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted February 07, 2001 08:42 AM            
I haven't tried, but I expect a crater that crosses map borders to have wild rim structures - especially if it crosses two opposite borders at the same time.

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 07, 2001 12:18 PM            
Last I checked (beta 2), craters that size just flattened the map.

IP:

Dreamer (BWL/MG)
posted February 07, 2001 03:22 PM            
As I said, I have never tried it. I rarely kill myself on purpose.

Anyway - we could do with a very, very tall tank of sorts - it could serve as a bird's perspective camera during matches.

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 07, 2001 04:03 PM            
Mine didn't do ANY damage - it's purpose was testing water and land max speeds. Drop a brick on the forward key, come back 1/2 hour later.

As I've said before, I believe I got one (modded, duh) tank up to 999,999kph.

IP:

peeeto
posted February 07, 2001 04:39 PM         
dreamer: interesting idea... i've already talked to coax about creating a "photojournalist" mod - with an invisible tank, very fast & heavy armor. also, the HUD icons would be modded to get them off the screen of the photographer. the photogrrapher would log into the game with no name, or just spaces in the name (a dirty trick i've seen regulars do!). the other players would have just the invisible tank mod installed.
the best part would be that the gun would have no projectile, but make a sound like a high-speed motorized camera

but that's interesting - making a tall mesh. would that force the camera up higher? i'll have to test that out!

------------------
Black Widow Lance all the way, baby!

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted February 07, 2001 07:00 PM            
That would be neat but what would happen if they got a nuke or somethingy kaboom!!!!

------------------

IP:

Rex R
posted February 08, 2001 01:29 AM            
unfortunatly a really tall tank is out. I inadverantly tried it out the other day, could not see a durn thang except the tank. but I wouldn't mind being proven wrong. in other news I've sent the new tank off to RC soo its now out of my hands.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted February 08, 2001 11:52 PM            
Ta da. You guys r trying to be to elleberate. How bout a tank where everythingys invisible except the turret that looks a little like a floating tank weeeeee. So like the bottem thats invisible is a barrabiiean

IP:

Rex R
posted February 09, 2001 03:46 AM            
I think what you want for a photo tank is; a small tank with good speed and accel, armor(goes w/out saying), and instead of being invis and/or unobtrusive, borrow a page from the deer hunters and make the tank blaze orange. with a distinctive flag so that when ppl see it they will know its the photog and move on to other targets. as for the gun here's a thought if ppl insist on shooting the photog have the gun set to fire a flash bulb(small matterbomb flash?) w/ a click(poss weap pickup)

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted February 09, 2001 12:23 PM            
must get photo-tank. Website dying... needs new life... and updates.

------------------
Biography Website

IP:

peeeto
posted February 09, 2001 01:01 PM         
i'd do it, but have no xtra time . it should be easy, though.

for invisible tank:
set up a new racetank entity file to use ammo box mesh for tank, turret & gun. in entity file, reference a non-existent bitmap file for the texture (like foo.bmp).
now disable the main gun (make a weapon that fires nothing?)
change armor, speed, turret rotate settings to taste.

oops - the bauble & flag will still show...
change the texture bitmap reference for the bauble & flag(s) to a non-existent bitmap.

for orange tank:
choose an existing tank and copy its files to make a new tank. modify textures, armor, speed, turret rotate settings to taste.
disable main gun.

to make a photo-tank that will work on servers that don't have the new files, modify an existing tank (an unpopular one). your gun, armor, speed, etc. will remain, and others will see you as their original files indicate...

to get rid of the HUD stuff, change the associated entity & texture files.

done.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2