|
Author Topic:   Can I piqué anybody’s interest?
NOPeR
posted June 30, 2000 07:58 PM            
A huge tankgun with a recoil kick!?

Animated screenshots: http://www.crosswinds.net/~noper/tm/Weapons.html

NOPeR

[This message has been edited by NOPeR (edited June 30, 2000).]

IP:

peeeto
posted June 30, 2000 09:31 PM         
very cool.

IP:

swisher
posted June 30, 2000 11:47 PM            
Can't wait to play that weapon! Animated gifs way cool.

IP:

Rex R
posted July 01, 2000 02:45 AM            
ok I'll ask. how did you do the recoil effect?
nother question whats the reload time?

IP:

DvsDuke
posted July 01, 2000 09:24 AM            
Hehe...nice trick i see that on the smoke ent it makes a projectile with a nice kick from the baral (aka the smoke) and it hits you making it look as if you got a recoil...also by this the delay between the fireing and the kick are very noticable...I love the great fire effect...good job but i wish there was "Real" recoil!

------------------
-------------------------
DvsDuke

DvsMod at www.dvsduke.com

IP:

NOPeR
posted July 02, 2000 02:43 PM            
Thanks for the feedback! Some info on how the weapon is currently setup: (As it is a glorified Tankgun it very much plays this way!)

Weapon:
ammo = 6
reloadtime = 2.5
weight = 100

Projectile:
speed = 100
damage = .8
kick = 0.8

DvsDuke, don't assume you know how it is done till you see the actual weapon in use, in the game. Your post sounds as if you have used the weapon and that the recoil sucks when if fact the effect is very realistic. If there appears to be a "lag" between firing and recoil in the animated gifs it is because they ARE animated gifs!

I don't create crappy weapons, and everything I release is very heavily tested for balance and fun by me and a group of TM fanatics.

- The smoke ent makes the front and rear barrel flash.
- The projectile ent spawns another projectile that produces the recoil kick and the recoil is quite believable!
- The faster you are going the worse the recoil effect are! Kinda like running with the chain gun in AvP!

I will post the download for the weapon AS SOON as I am sure it is ready.

NOTE: The flash has been changed to look better and the recoil slightly reduced from the animated gifs (because the mite became unplayable with a 240mm, which isn't entirely a bad thing!! Grr..hate the mite!)

NOPeR

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 02, 2000 05:27 PM            
Mites are easy to kill, though. Guided weapons, and the avenger, are VERY adept at removing them

IP:

NOPeR
posted July 03, 2000 12:15 PM            
Oh sure they are easy kills unless you playing against someone like OracLe, who only uses the mite for quick steal kills!

Here is a typical scene:
I'm in the Tron tank blasing several baddies at the same time (two human, and a couple bots) with swarmers, r-gernades, or some other equally "is that the best you can find" weapon. I then run outta my super-weapon and am elated to use my 120mm and with each dude slighly damaged they will each die in one or two shots.

So I pick the closest target, and fire...one shot and the enemy tank is knocked back. I begin to track his movement as my gun reloads and just as I hear the "dunDunk!" sound that indicated that I have another round to let loose...out of nowhere and at 150 kph comes OracLe in the Mite!

But am I worried? Can he really make that shot as he hits the smallest bump and flies over the now flaming tank? Hell Yes! He casually aims and fires, the tank explodes. And with the same speed he dissapears. Got over some hill or flying thru the air.

SO I lost the frag. Big deal there is ussually 1 or 2 left to go. So I search my radar and seek the nearest/weakest target and begin the hunt. AND AGAIN as soon as I have softened the kill WHOOSH! BANG! The insane flash of transparant orange enters the battle, kills, then leaves.

The entire charade laster a mere 5 seconds or so...

See I don't fear the Mite, in a fight it will loose! I hate the Mite because it is a tiny frag stealing speed mosquito.

*Huff, Huff* K - I'm done...

NOPeR

IP:

peeeto
posted July 03, 2000 12:18 PM         
haha.
at least SOMEONE can control that little thing! i know i can't...

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 03, 2000 03:59 PM            
Yah wanna MASSACRE some mites? Take a destroyer. It's low-slung gun is PERFECT for perferating their transparent skin

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 03, 2000 04:02 PM            
And may I suggest fighting fire with fire? If YOU take a mite, and just follow him, he will get SICK of you fast

IP:

DvsDuke
posted July 06, 2000 12:50 AM            
Noper-*DvsDuke, don't assume you know how it is done till you see the actual weapon in use, in the game. Your post sounds as if you have used the weapon and that the recoil sucks when if fact the effect is very realistic. If there appears to be a "lag" between firing and recoil in the animated gifs it is because they ARE animated gifs!*

Gezz dude I was just noticing that the gif is like that i bet in the game its not that noticeable...damn I was not trying to be an ass..just pointing something out....BTW was I right about HOW you did it?

Sorry about that but the GIFs are frame by frame so I would think it would be accurate to the game...."Me so sorry" if not :P"

Hehe...sorry you got pissed...and cya around im fresh out of ideas for weapons...so any suggestions will be tested for my mod...cya

------------------
-------------------------
DvsDuke

DvsMod at www.dvsduke.com

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 07, 2000 02:44 AM            
well, for one, yes, i can control a mite good enough to kill most players, i dunno for sure about everyone, so i'm not boasting, just that i can and will kill with a mite, now, that took far too long to train for a mite and so i must admit, don't expect to use it well enough to kill for a long while, unless you're a psycho like me who goes at tm sometimes for a while long enough to get more than a hundred frags (i know, that still probably can be beaten by someone else's record, but still......) with whatever tank, i may try to kill one hundred with a mite, i know i have not yet, ugh!!!!!!
now then, i will say that i have a little idea for a weapon, i was thinking of a powerful pile driving wreapon that you would ram people with, like a ramdrill, cept a little more oooof and you have to get closer, then, if you hit em, have the hit spawn be a health spewer for the guy that hit the other with a pile driver, while, of course, the other player spind out of control off into the distance, which is why you want it in close combat, and don't want someone to use it on you. is that a good enough weapon for you? you'd prolly have to make it generate a huge mound of dirt when you use it and make sure that it pops that tank wayeee up. also you may want to try a tank seeking concussion that moves like a cruise, only slower, a LOT slower so you can out run it just BARELY though. make it double spawn, so that it first hits em and they fly, then they get pulverized one more time upon re-entry... i can see it now, bwahahahahaahahahahahah. now then, i must work on a confetti nuke for the fourth of july, the jubilee nuke, WEEEEEEEEEEE.

------------------
When all else fails,
!Play The POLKA!
Dudymas
!!!
·

IP:

Kaeto
posted July 07, 2000 10:24 AM            
Actually, Dudy, you can outrun a cruise missle. I used to do it all the time. You have to turn at a pretty specific amount, without slowing you down too much, but causing the cruise to spend all it's energy turning instead of catching you

IP:

NOPeR
posted July 07, 2000 12:51 PM            
Whoa! Don't take it wrong DvsDuke.

I didn't mean to jump on your back - I just wanted to clerify that you hadn't actually played the weapon and that there wasn't a noticable lag. From the wording of your post someone might have assumed that you had "tested" the weapon for me and were posting you comments on it's play.

The animated Gifs are like 1/10 the number of frames that a F12 screen capture set was able to get on my system.

And you were partly right about how it is done. Its not the smoke ent that makes the recoil projectile it is the actual projectile ent for the shot being fired (240mm shell).

NOPeR

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 14, 2000 12:58 AM            
DVS!!!!!!!!!!
Act your *Cough-Giggle-Cough* AGE!!!!!!

Go hatch tennis balls or something

IP: