|
Author Topic:   MOD ZIP
Kegel
posted May 31, 2000 04:54 PM         
Not sure who posted this awhile back but thought I'd repost. Everyone dload and install....lots of new wep models etc....(not mine by the way). http://www.driveway.com/bin/share.jsp?sid=7107a0d6.51ca3

IP:

Ron371
posted May 31, 2000 11:55 PM            
Hey thanks for the link..I well check them out.

IP:

swisher
posted June 01, 2000 09:07 AM            
This file is for FULL VERSION users only! It will not work for Demo users. It will most likely cause the demo to run incorrectly (if it will run at all).

I created this file as an easy way for Sheldon to distribute mods to people who wanted to play on his "Mod City" server. It's simply a ZIP file of the Tread Marks Addons folder after I applied every modification to date (RC's weapons and tank(s), Dudymas' weapons, NoPeR's weapons, maps, & tanks, and DvsDuke's weapons).

I'm going to try to maintain it somewhat. The ZIP file is named similar to this: TM-Mods-mmm-dd-ccyy.zip, where mmm, dd, ccyy is the month, day, and year it was created. I think the current one is May 15, 2000; and thus named TM-Mods-May-15-2000.ZIP.

If and when I get time, I'm going to publish a web page, with WinZip screen shots, describing exactly how to apply mods.

For now, follow these five steps:

1. Start WinZip and open the Zip file.
2. Select Extract from the Actions menu.
3. In the Extract window, be sure the "Use folder names" checkbox is checked.
4. In the "Extract to" prompt, type "C:\Program Files\Tread Marks" (without quotes).
5. Press the Extract button.

That's it!

The advantage of installing these mods is that you can play on any public server.

The disadvantage is that by installing it, you get all mods (whether you want them or not). If you want to be selective about the mods you apply in Tread Marks, then track down each mod web page and download only those that you want.

By the way, if you want to play single player without these mods, you should be able to rename the Addons folder to, say, MyAddons, (I haven't tried this, though). I'm guessing Tread Marks will not see the Addons folder and continue normally.

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited June 01, 2000).]

IP:

peeet
posted June 01, 2000 09:34 AM         
maybe kaeto can confirm this, but i think that TM will recognize mods in ANY sub-folder under the Tread Marks directory, so renaming C:\Program Files\Tread MarksAddons to C:\Program Files\Tread Marks\MyAddons won't disable the mods...

IP:

Kaeto
posted June 01, 2000 03:45 PM            
Hrm, I don't know... Test 2.1 did it, but I'm not sure if it was a bug or a feature. But one thing you CAN do, is make a myents folder in the entities folder, and put ents in there, and they will all work just fine. TM recursively searches the entities folder,and uses any and all .ents it finds...

IP:

NOPeR
posted June 01, 2000 04:42 PM            
Tread Marks will not read the files from a renamed ADDONS folder.

I have started running a "pure" dedicated server and to do this all I had to do was rename the ADDONS folder (Ex. Backup Addons).

-- Well, because of my setup I had to do a bit more, but you can read about that below --

People may still be looking for a way to manage Mods and servers here is how I do it:

- I renamed the ENTITIES folder to ORIGINAL ENTITES
- I have entity folders for several mod servers including nuke, instagib, dvsduke, etc. The folders are names something like this
Nuke = NUKE ENTITES
Instagib = INSTAGIB ENTITIES
Get the picture? Good.
- I have all the Addon file in the ADDONS folder, but all the entities in the above stated folders.

NOW when I want to run a Nuke server I COPY the NUKE ENTITITES folder and name the newly copied folder ENTITIES.

If I want to run a "pure" server I COPY the ORIGINAL ENTITIES folder and name the newly copied folder ENTITIES.

(Why do I copy rather than rename? Well, with computers you should ALWAYS work with a copy rather than the original!! Just to be safe.)

Now if someone really wanted to they could write a batch file or even a small program that would do this with the click of a button, but for now this works and I haven't needed to expand the idea...Hopefully LDA is working on a better way to manage mods in TM that they will include in a patch.

NOPeR
jonhansen@usa.net

IP:

Tracer Bullet
posted June 01, 2000 05:40 PM            
This mod really spiced up my TM game. But I'm not giving you the credit, Kegel. If you looked a few topics down and see one named "Patches for Multiplyer?" (which I made) Swisher was the guy who first gave away the internet address so I could download the Mod.

IP:

Kegel
posted June 01, 2000 08:47 PM         
Never claimed to take credit for it...I actually made a reference to it being previously posted. Anyways...its good to see activity in the forums and on this awesome game. Come by myserver sometime....WEAPONS ARENA. ADSL.

IP:

Dudymas
posted June 02, 2000 03:46 PM            
MEANIE ALERT : Tracer Bullet is a meanie, track him down and give him a five second noogie then a ten second zerbert as penalty!!!

IP:

Kaeto
posted June 02, 2000 03:50 PM            
Dudey, you should start your own clan. Call it the Zealots. You are soooooo ready to pounce on anything :P

IP:

Sardine
posted June 02, 2000 11:42 PM         
You're all mean, just mean I tell you! I go out to get a Ham and Cheese
and I get shot at.... sheesh you thought my tank was just sitting there
making a fashion statement? Huh?
Ummm.... sorry... am I off topic again? Damn, where did I put those pills.

BRB

IP:

Dudymas
posted June 03, 2000 03:28 PM            
Well, Kaeto, i guess the best name for a clan made by me would be Cookie Dough Havoc or something stupid like that, simple, brainless, and gives a strong truth about anyone who would be crazy enough to join it.

IP: