|
Author Topic:   Random Terrain Generation
NOPeR
posted May 31, 2000 12:59 PM            
I know that everyone at LDA has plenty to do but an idea just struck me and I thought I would share.

Anyone else here play any of the Worms series games from Microprose and Team17? The game is a lot AND a lot like, uh what is that game called, Scorched Earth/Tanks??

Well, to get to the point, LDA has a program they've been working on called Texturizer and in a post in the Texturizer channel peeet meantions that the program is great for generating heightmaps for TM. So I thought, "Hey! Expand that idea and include some of the features in Texturizer and allow for Random Terrain Generation in Tread Marks!" In the patch along with CTS and some of the widely requested weapons funtions of course...

This would be useful for multiplayer games IF:
1. Like Worms, the server sent a code, that was used to generate the terrain, to each of the clients.
2. Compress the heightmap info and send to clients like maps in games like Quake. This would take a bit of time for slower connections but this shouldn't really be an issue as the TM community is already pushing for Client Download for meshes/textures/etc.

I think this could make Internet multiplayer games even more interesting...

Thoughts?

NOPeR
jonhansen@usa.ent

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 31, 2000 04:21 PM            
I fully agree with yah, plus i also have W:A
that is, Worms:Armageddon

------------------
------------------------
------------------------
I'm Special, Muahahah!!!
------------------------
DUDEY

IP:

peeet
posted June 01, 2000 10:54 AM         
great idea, NOPeR!

what's really cool is that the server would not have to send the entire heightmap to the clients:

presumably, the algorithms programmed into the game to generate random terrain would be the same on both the server and clients, so the server would just have to pass a few parameters to the clients, and all computers would generate the SAME base heightfield from those parameters!

then the server would send the texture info and the spawn/tree/sculpture locations. finally, the server would just have to then send the crater updates to latecomers, as happens already...

MUCH quicker than sending the entire .ved file for every randomly generated map!

[This message has been edited by peeet (edited June 01, 2000).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted June 01, 2000 03:14 PM            
Aye!

Hey, ya'll who are artillery fans, check out http://www.scorch2000.com
pretty cool java-based multiplayer scorch

IP:

Dudymas
posted June 02, 2000 04:20 PM            
Awesome Kaeto, how could you have kept this from us for soooo long, traitor!!!!!!!!

IP:

Kaeto
posted June 02, 2000 05:24 PM            
I posted the link the day after I found it

IP:

Dudymas
posted June 03, 2000 03:35 PM            
EVERYONE MUST GO AND GET SCORCHED EARTH FOR THEIR COMPUTER
i love it, hugs for Keato, he has temporarily redeemed himself, er should i say completely... but i think Kaeto, Hawk, and me have the best redeeming of all, right Kaeto?

------------------
------------------------
------------------------
I'm Special, Muahahah!!!
------------------------
DUDEY

IP:

Kaeto
posted June 03, 2000 07:58 PM            
Yeah!
Took me a minute to see what you were getting at there

IP:

Dudymas
posted June 04, 2000 02:40 PM            
*ALL GRINS*i just hope Suemas was too, don't you?

IP: