[This message has been edited by Cell (edited March 02, 2002).]

IP:

Cell
posted May 21, 2000 01:42 PM         

IP:

DvsDuke
posted May 21, 2000 01:59 PM            
LOL thats the biggest longest hardest way to do that...hold left shift and right click an ent then pick "Open With" and then select NotePad now you just have to Dbl Click an ent file to open it...you also can do this under a folder View->FolderOptions->File Types you can make sub opens and anything else you need to do to a file this is good for maping in a game like quake 3 cause i made it so you can right click and say "Run Map" then bam im playing.... Well ok then cya i set this by just dbl clicking the non associated Ent file and selected notepad but do it however you want...

Also dude dont try and get peepz to use RegEdit many people go in there and kill there system.. Run RegClean for improved system performance and to fix bugs in the Registy.

DvsDuke

IP:

Cell
posted May 21, 2000 03:27 PM         

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 21, 2000 11:57 PM            
um... i just type .ent after my file names on the save as screen and their entitied instantaniously.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 22, 2000 04:52 PM            
forget that junk, just put always use notepad, and hope your computer doesn't fry

IP:

Kaeto
posted May 23, 2000 02:45 PM            
Cell : I don't think anybody cares All of us just set it up to default open with notepad...
But I'm glad to see you reghack, too

IP:

Cell
posted May 23, 2000 09:19 PM         

IP:

DvsDuke
posted May 24, 2000 07:41 AM            
Cell i mean that its not good to recomend people to possibly screw there reg when they could just do a little work and do the same thing and if you really want people to use your Reg thing then put out a reg file but once agin it has no real objective due to the simplicity of this. The day i got the demo i just Dbl clcik an unassighned Ent file and said openwith notepad...no biggy

IP:

Kaeto
posted May 24, 2000 10:06 AM            
No, DvsDuke, you don't get it. What that does is make it so that you can right click ANY file, and open it in notepad... it makes it easy to open those rarely open files (like .1st files ("readme.1st"))

IP:

peeet
posted May 24, 2000 10:56 AM         
oh! i get it now. that's a cool tip, Cell - thanks.

i just have the .ent files associated with notepad (double-clicked unassociated .ent file, selected notepad to open it, made sure "always use this program..." box was checked, clicked OK). but i can sure see how having the option to right click any file and be able to use notepad will come in handy!

in reading the link you gave, i see that doing what you suggest also makes it that Notepad will open ANY file that does not have an association when the file is double-clicked... also very handy!

[This message has been edited by peeet (edited May 24, 2000).]

IP:

swisher
posted May 24, 2000 01:31 PM            
Notepad is quite primative.

Here's a free editor (PFE -- Programmer's File Editor) that puts it to shame:

http://softseek.zdnet.com/Programming/Editors/D_22841_index.html

An even better (but not free) editor is UltraEdit: http://www.ultraedit.com

Enjoy!

IP:

Kaeto
posted May 24, 2000 02:23 PM            
Damn PFE! I hate the &%(* program!

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 24, 2000 04:37 PM            
What's better about it toile.... er swisher?

IP:

DvsDuke
posted May 24, 2000 05:16 PM            
LOL i see what it dose not but i assighn diz nfo all the txt files to notpad the easy way...any ways most of the time it in winzip that wont use your reghack :P Nice trick but still not usefull

IP:

Kaeto
posted May 24, 2000 06:27 PM            
Actually, you CAN make winzip use whatever proggy you want to open unknown files Try looking in the options

IP:

JL
posted May 25, 2000 12:20 AM            
Tweak Revisited will give you the Open with Notepad option without any of the hassels of messing with the reg files. You can also change it back with no problems.Plus it does a lot more cool and fun stuff. Worth checking out. http://hotfiles.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/texis/swlib/hotfiles/info.html?fcode=0016CR

IP:

Kaeto
posted May 25, 2000 11:12 AM            
I don't let anything hack my reg that I don't have too. Just make a backup before you edit it... I mean, you don't tell people "DON'T copy files on your hard drive!!!", but you can cause much more damage doing that than you can with the registry...

IP:

Cell
posted May 25, 2000 05:27 PM         

IP: