|
Author Topic:   2 New Weapons: w/ Textured Models!!
NOPeR
posted May 08, 2000 02:29 AM            
Two totally new weapons have been added to my Tread Marks Downloads Page courtesy of my brother and myself.

ALSO - These weapons are fully textured with LUV files and Bitmaps! Check out the screenshots and download the files at: http://www.crosswinds.net/~noper/tm/addons.html

The Midnight: A super huge missile that packs a medium punch, but blackens a large area of that map. You really do have to see the screenshots to see what I mean.

The Midnight is meant to be a rare weapon and should only show up about once per 5 player game...anything more and the blackened terrain is almost unnavigateable (did I just make that word up?)

The Mortar: A rear-firing cannon shoots a bolt that will arc to the ground eliminating foes hiding in holes or high above you!

We have tried to balance this weapon so that is will compliment the already existing arsenal in Tread Marks! From our extensive play it has proven to be a great addition to the list!

Please feel free to email my brother or myself with comments or suggestions!

NOPeR
Jonathan Hansen
jonhansen@usa.net

IP:

NOPeR
posted May 08, 2000 02:40 AM            
Since this is going to be asked I thought I would reply ahead of time:

Meshes, including tanks and weapons, in Tread Marks are Lightwave Object "LWO" files. LWO files do not store texture mapping coords so Seumas put together his own mapping file, the "LUV" files. And as Jim has stated, He also programmed his own LWO->LUV program.

Well, I like MODing and have already programmed a few tools to make new maps and tanks...so I decided to take it a step further and figure out how to map our meshes. The result was a small program that ripped the UV coords from 3DS files (My brother and myself model in 3D Studio Max and convert 3DS objects to LWO's later) and compiled them into an LUV file.

The 3DS->LUV converter is our own creation and we have no association with Longbow Digital Arts. LDA has stated that MODs can be created for Tread Marks, but they have also requested that any information that we have decifered about LDA's propriatary file formats be keep out of the public. For that reason we cannot share any of these programs, please do not ask. We will, however, help selected individuals complete MOD files for Tread Marks.

NOPeR
Jonathan Hansen
jonhansen@usa.net

IP:

Cell
posted May 08, 2000 05:03 PM         

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited March 02, 2002).]

IP:

NOPeR
posted May 08, 2000 06:54 PM            
Thanks! Yup, The Midnight is almost comical in size but when you hear the roar it makes when it is launched you can almost feel the weight of such a huge missle

(btw, to get the real effect you need a good set of speakers and a sub - but isn't that the case for Tread Marks in general!?!?)

Several friends of ours, also TM fans, have come over to check out our new weapons and the reaction to seeing their first Midnight is always the same, "WTF! I don't know what it does but the big missle is mine!"

Now is it just me or does having The Midnight mounted on top of your tank make it a bit unsteady? Normally I can make just about any jump and land correctly, but with The Midnight on my turret I ALWAYS tip to the side and land upside down :O

AND thou The Midnight is impressive to watch the Mortar is more of a realistic weapon that adds a lot to the game. Once you get the range down you'll be blasting mortar shells into all your ememies

NOPeR

IP:

Cell
posted May 08, 2000 10:17 PM         
I thought I noticed the tipping too, but who cares! Makes it that much more realistic.
Just get up on a hill so you can watch it fly and let it rip.

The Mortar is great, thats a blast to use.
What I really like about it is the ability to be facing downhill and launch it.
Almost every other T_M weapon, you have to be at a slight uphill angle to use to shell at a distance.

* Now how about a 155mm howitzer addon? We can never get enough!*

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 09, 2000 04:39 PM            
Heyyyyy, Noper... did you get my tank yet?

IP:

NOPeR
posted May 09, 2000 04:51 PM            
Yes I did - There are three problems that I noticed:

1. The polygon faces are flipped incorrectly in the LWO files...this is a common problem when using a program other than Lightwave to model LWOs.

2. There is a discrepancy between the LWO object files location and the Mesh attribute(s) in the ENT file - but this could have just been an oversight in the Zip file you sent me.

3. You still need to define the additional Mesh#, TurretMesh#, and GunMesh# attributes even if you only have one Mesh. Otherwise anyone running with lower quality meshes will have problems with your tank.

I will send you a Zip with the changes already made...incase you don't have an option to flip faces in your 3D program.

NOPeR

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 10, 2000 09:29 PM            
Thanks, me bucko! I don't especially like that program that i made that with. I'm using blender FROM HERE ON OUT!

------------------
Dudymas: The Other White Meat

IP:

peeet
posted May 11, 2000 09:24 PM         
feedback, dudymas!
what program were you using that gave you problems? was it "mesh maker pro"?
and let me know how blender is to use, too!
thanks!

IP:

Kaeto
posted May 12, 2000 02:42 PM            
Blender is hard to figure out, but if you give it a good hour, you'll be able to use it pretty basically... after that it's pretty simple...

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 12, 2000 03:40 PM            
Yeah man... took me a week and the only thing i don't know much about is the metaball and animation. Easy as i see it. You press space to bring up the menu. use the add menu to add whatever you want. Type s to change the size and if you type s then click your middle mouse button... cepending on which way you're tugging when you press the middle button the object will stretch verticly or horizantally. Also, type r to rotate an object... and you can press and hold ctrl to constrict the angle to increments of 5, you can use the ctrl button on almost any number option like angle, size, or bevel to constrict the increments. Now then, if you wanna bevel something... click on the edit menu (one of the tabs on the bottom window) to do many things. One you can click on new texture to color your objects surface. two you can bevel some objects. Three, you can spin meshes. I'd like to say more... but go to these websites if you wanna get to know blender just as well as me in less than a week:
members.xoom.com/blender/
go to above site to learn basic stuffs.
members.yourlink.net/gruff/
go to above to learn how to spin meshes... make rocket engines and stuffs.
if you want more blender tutorials... go to
www.blender.nl/stuff/index.html

Smiles to all young blender athletes. The thing ROCKS once you get it. I mean really rules, yeah. I know a few things some tutorials didn't point out well so just point out any questions you gots here if you like... or start another topic for it...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dudymas (edited May 12, 2000).]

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 12, 2000 03:49 PM            
Also... here are some more links

hotkeys:

A great site... [URL=http://home.iae.nl/users/exwhale/blender/index.html]home.iae.nl/users/exwhale/blender/index.html

these sites are for earlier versions of blender, sowweeeee!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dudymas (edited May 12, 2000).]

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 12, 2000 04:08 PM            
By the way... Rhino 3D gave me a weeeeeeeeeee bit of trouble you could say... but only if you're so optimistic that you don't think eating raw rat meat will hurt you.

------------------

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 14, 2000 01:49 AM            
I can't believe it! 3d cafe ( go to www.3dcafe.com ) doesn't talk about blender yet!

IP:

Dudymas
posted June 23, 2000 11:03 AM            
Heyeeeee, will you make the tron tank blue? I love blue besides it goes with the level and there aren't enough blue tanks... also, blue is at the higher end of the light spectrum energy wise....

IP:

NOPeR
posted June 27, 2000 12:25 AM            
Here you go...now in blue!
/forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000409.html

NOPeR

IP:

Sardine
posted June 29, 2000 12:23 AM         
Warning! This post not intended for those under the age of consent in your locality!

Has anyone thought of a HSMM as a weapon? Just for laughs of course!

"Heat Seeking Moisture Missle"

== Normally fires over a million sub-munitions!
== Has been known to penetrate foam, latex, and cotton barriers!

Ummm... I recommend one shot weapon that coats a tank and essentially stops it in it's tracks! (so to speak)

IP:

xlr8r
posted June 29, 2000 01:02 AM            
yeah.... lol but how long do ya have to wait to reload.. lol

IP:

Rex R
posted June 29, 2000 01:53 AM            
kind of depend on how old the tank was wouldn't it? real young tanks couldn't use it likewise very old tanks.
then to is the question of how many times in 1 game you could use it...

IP:

Dudymas
posted June 30, 2000 01:14 PM            
i'm not going to even touch that one...

IP:

xlr8r
posted June 30, 2000 07:18 PM            
ROFLMAO
Hey Dudy
No one here is questioning your manhood, but you do seem to have a "potty" mouth lately. Have you been a little irregular lately? lol

IP:

swisher
posted June 30, 2000 11:50 PM            
Before Dudymas gets me, he hasn't had his mouth anywhere near me (Swisher: aka Toilet Head).

IP:

Dudymas
posted July 02, 2000 08:28 AM            
naw, it's true that you're "extra large"... nothing else... heheheheheheh

IP: