|
Author Topic:   LWO to make a LUV...How?
DvsDuke
posted May 07, 2000 12:50 AM            
Ok then im still making that mod I promised but im adding allot more off-tankwars weapons but im still calling its TankWars Mod but any ways I was wondering how do you make a LUV for your LWOs? and why must you have a LUV and what do they do and 1 more thing is there a program that will take a LWO and make a outlined mapper for a texture? ive made my 1st weapon model for the game and its great and it only shows parts in the game.

IP:

JL
posted May 07, 2000 09:52 AM            
I have a similiar problem. The model shows up but the texures don't it either comes out black or white depending on the texure colors. Also some of my meshes show up as a square block but they dislay the proper texure. I'm going to try different *.luv files mabey one from a model close to resembling mine will work.

IP:

Jason
posted May 07, 2000 03:07 PM            
yuo have lightwave? you ought to be able to save LUV files for lightwave, although i don't know what the hell i'm talking about because i've only used MAX before...

Anyway the LUV files are just the mapping coordinates for the meshes, that tells the program what parts of the mesh are assigned to what parts of the texture map.

So if you don't have them, the texture just shows up wherever the hell it wants to and it ends up looking pretty weird.

And about the solid block thing- sounds like you assigned the texture as a sprite or somethin...

Oh and you can't use existing LUV files because there might not be the same vertex count or something and it will still be f- err messed up. And the outlined mesh thing- you have to make uv map coordinates for the mesh to create one of those.

[This message has been edited by Jason (edited May 07, 2000).]

IP:

DvsDuke
posted May 07, 2000 05:55 PM            
I looked in the modeler alot and i still can not find a way to export a LUV

LDA please explain this i use light wave and i need to make LUVs

some one one tell me how to make LUV

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted May 07, 2000 06:22 PM            
Seumas literally wrote his own UV mapper overnight...

...another one of his gems

Sorry, but I have to hold it back for the time being... negotiations etc...

LW 6.0 has a UV editor but we haven't had time to check it out yet.

I'll talk it over with Philippe...

Jim

IP:

DvsDuke
posted May 07, 2000 06:32 PM            
Im useing 5.6 and if you know of any other LUV file converters or creators please let me know cause if you really wanted this to be modable then change the LUV maker to require the TM cd to be in or something of that matter.

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 07, 2000 09:02 PM            
HEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYY!!!!! i made a liquid tank and it comes out all jittery... then Noper makes some liquid tanks and they all look sooooo purty. What's the deal here, has noper bribed LDA? If so, i will too. ;o)

------------------
Dudymas: The Other White Meat

IP:

DvsDuke
posted May 07, 2000 10:23 PM            
Humm strange but true! Why have i seen NEW TANKS made..how did the make the LUVs?

IP:

peeet
posted May 08, 2000 05:16 AM         
liquid objects in TM are textured differently than UV-mapped objects, so you don't need .luv files for liquid thingies (take a look at the liquid tank .ent files to see how they are textured...).

[This message has been edited by peeet (edited May 08, 2000).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted May 08, 2000 10:51 AM            
LDA gave their LUV mapper to one or two people... NoPeR wrote his own... If I wasn't so lazy I'd make myself one... If Seumas wrote it overnight, it couldn't take me more than 6 months <g>

IP:

NOPeR
posted May 08, 2000 11:49 AM            
Haha, I am a bit lazy myself and didn't want to spend TOO much time on making LUVs so I didn't write an entire LUV program - just a converter that takes the existing mapping from 3DS files and makes an LUV outta those.

Once I have an object in 3D Studio Max I can texture it using the UV mapping tools and export a flatened poly bitmap. From there I save the 3DS file and export a LUV, then convert the 3DS to an LWO...whew!

The last step involves texturing the bitmap and quite a bit of tweaking to get the object just right in the game. It seems like a lengthy process but getting the ENT files right is much more difficult :O

Also, Dudymas, I did not bribe LDA all the info I have about VEDs, LWOs, LUVs, and everything else Tread Marks has been 'discovered' by myself. About your jittery tank - I haven't had the oportunity to look at it in Tread Marks yet, but the ENT and LWOs look fine - I will try to have a look at it later today.

NOPeR

IP:

NOPeR
posted May 08, 2000 12:33 PM            
DvsDuke - It sounds like you've got some good ideas for Tread Marks.

Because of LDA's stand on User-Created Mod'ing utils I am not going to distribute any TM programs, at least not at this time, but I wouldn't mind creating some LUV and associated texture (wire frame polygon layout) bitmaps for you.

Just send me the entire weapon/tank (including meshes, ents, sounds, additional graphics). I want to see the item working in the game. Keep in mind that the LUVs are mesh specific and that the LUV will not work if the model is changed, so make sure the model is exactly as you want it. I can work with 3DS and LWO models.

NOTE TO INTERESTED: I will not make LUVs for just anyone or anything, so ask first and I WILL judge the quality of the work and decide from there. Sorry, but my free time is limited.

NOPeR
Jonathan Hansen
jonhansen@usa.net

IP: