This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3  |
Author Topic:   How did you find TM?
Kaeto
posted May 04, 2000 09:44 AM            
Here's my story...
One day I remembered this cool DOS chopper game I used to have on my 286... so I went on the net and started looking for "retro arcade helicopter game"... Turned up a link to this game called "Tiger's Bane" When I went to the page, I saw the link to TM, and loving offroad racing games, I thought "Let's check this out"... the rest is history...

IP:

peeet
posted May 04, 2000 10:15 AM         
cruising the web for info. on 3D programming using opengl, i saw an article at www.opengl.org advertising for beta testers for a "tank racing and battle game" - Tread Marks ver 2.1. i thought "tank racing and battle?... sounds cool!". also, i had never had a part in beta testing anything before.

i immediately appreciated the awesome graphics and action of the game, and looked forward to discussions about game development with LDA and other players.

multiplayer got me really hooked, esp. when just goofing around, like when i stumbled upon Hawk and (Kaeto?) using two spires as a jump... i was all ready to fight and get killed (they always ganged up on me - they called it "training"! ), but they were just taking turns racing towards the jump and watching each other fly off, spinning in all directions and "LOL"ing all the way. hence, Hawk's "JumpGate". i still laugh thinking about it!

[This message has been edited by peeet (edited May 04, 2000).]

IP:

Hawk
posted May 04, 2000 10:29 AM            
I was planning on having Kaeto come over to my house to LAN up the computers and play games like Battlezone, R6, etc. We were talking on the phone and he's like 'Dude, we've gotta play this game called Tread Marks, it rocks!' And I'm like 'yeh, whatever' and he's like 'Download it or I'll kill you.' So I say 'Yeah, whatever' and figure if he's THAT nutty about it, I might as well give it a shot. Downloaded Test 2.1, opened it, and was permanently hooked

It wasn't Kaeto, dude. I think that was...yeah, jus checked a screenshot...I've only seen the guy a couple times, '[BWL]Lightning'... he was helping me get ready for my website, I was taking screenshots. It was on RC's 'Chaos' server with the SpireMaker, we made two spires next to each other and he'd go flying off it firing wildly while I took pictures..then peeet comes driving down the hill firing wildly, so I just HAD to take screenshots of that most of em are viewable on jump.to/jumpgate
------------------
Hawk Presents
A Hawk Designed Message
In Association With Hawk
A Division Of Hawk Incorporated

[This message has been edited by Hawk (edited May 05, 2000).]

IP:

Vlad
posted May 04, 2000 05:44 PM            
Was at work one saturday.. I work 9.5 hour shifts every saturday, but don't really have to DO anything... one of those "just keep that room open" kind of deals...

Saw a review on firingsquad.com. Thought it sounded interesting.

Then saw some movies of it at another site... thought it looked REALLY good..

Then I saw a movie of a nuke in action...

Downloaded the demo, and waited for my shift to be over so I could go home and play it...

That was a LONG 8 hours...

IP:

VIO
posted May 04, 2000 09:58 PM            
I wanted to find a new game.. so I went to CNET Centrals GameCenter.Com page.. and did a search. Also found the demo listed on their Downloads.com page. I hit the "Newest" search link and wah=lah. The rest was history

IP:

swisher
posted May 04, 2000 10:25 PM            
I downloaded the demo from www.3dfiles.com, played it twice, and, somewhat unimpressed, let it spin on disk for about 3 weeks. I picked it up again, and then played steady for two weeks. I knew I was hooked when I was on vacation for a week and missed the game badly. Rather than buy a souviner on the trip, I bought the full version immediately after getting home.

Multi-Player is what truly, literally, turned me into an addict.

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited May 05, 2000).]

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 10, 2000 11:05 PM            
You won't believe this wierd one... okay, here goes all. I was surfing around looking for free games for this slow computer my grandparents had. I was looking at a website called NoNags. I found DX-Ball... the first version of it that is. I loved breakout style games so i downloaded it and loved it right off the start. Looking for codes... i go to Michael Welch's first site for DX-Ball and stuffs. I saw that DX-Ball 2 was there so i saw LDA for the first time. At the moment i payed no attention at all to the game Tread Marks. I thought... eh? one of those racing kinda games? Ack... I hate those things except for san fransisco Rush (a good game for the 64). Soooooo, i check out DX-Ball 2 and L-O-V-E-D it. I was trying my best to get great scores and swithced from that to a Mudd game called alanthia. After a good taste of those two games for two months (Solidly without missing a day unless i was WWWWWAAAAAYYYYYY too tired from being taken away by my parents to some place over the weekend), i started thinking (WOW, it clicked in my head for once) hey, maybe LDA is pretty awesome with the other games. I saw tiger's bane... didn't catch me... but i did start lookin at particle fire. I was using a really slow computer so the particle toy became more of a slow moving sculpturing program than a quick little particle displaying thingy-do-dad. I thought twice about TM. Now i got it after two or so days of off and on downloading (had a really creepy modem then). BUMMER... my system had no 3d card or anything. I go soooooooooo close to playing, selecting the level and flag and all, then error error each time i tried to play. Sooooooooo, switch forward a year (last year that is) and recieved a new computer for X-Mas and thought ONE SINGLE THING. MUST.... HAVE...... GOOD....... GAME. all i had was some petty crud for my old cpu. staring at the file again, i download TM... praying it will work. Viola, it did. But i had no idea how to change anything like the weapons and stuffs. Soooooooooo i quit playing a while... just checking by everynow and then when i'm bored a lot. Hey...a full demo. The new weapons got me. I took a new phase now, play until you drop for weeks at a time, then rest eyes before the neck becomes stiff and i start typing 60 words per minute with my feet (not to mention having my eyes turn into cubes). Soooo, that wore me out and i drifted away again. So, i finally stop all computer usage for weeks, just e-mailing. Then a small voice said GAME!!!!!!! I had stopped all N64 usage by about a week and could not wait till i got the full version. it took me a week to realize i could change weapon options and made my first mod... this is all spelled F-U-N-!-!-!... any questions. From there i got into programming and 3D stuff. I know my job for life right now thanks to that game awakining my skills... not to mention one of the STUPIDIST things i have done in my life being resolved. I thought our little friend Adobe Photoshop 4 we got with our little microtek scanner was a simple program. I saw it was priced at 800 smackerooos when looking at a price for 3D Studio Max and thought and thought and thought and thought and thought and thought and thought and thought and banged my head against the wall and thought and banged my head against the wall and thought and banged my head against the wall and thought and banged my head against the wall. End Story with me realizing that my ordinary paint program was an 800 dollar 2d drawing gift from heaven. This is all thanks to our game... TREAD MARKS!
with a lump of love... Dudey Boy

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 12, 2000 10:04 PM            
Can anyone beat my story?

IP:

DvsDuke
posted May 13, 2000 09:22 AM            
Umm i dont think so i found the demo on a PCXL disk and played it then a saw you can mod it then i had to buy it...simple adiction to a great tank game that can be modded...oh not to mention the 1st game ive seen with terrain that can be killed...

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 14, 2000 01:54 AM            
I hate it when i type a novel and someone can summerise their experience into a couple sentences.

IP:

Kaeto
posted May 14, 2000 02:57 PM            
That's because you can't express yourself concisely, Dudymas! :P

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 15, 2000 12:32 AM            
I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP:

Whirlwind
posted May 15, 2000 11:32 AM            
I just happenned to be playing with changing the name of the minigl.dll to various version names of OpenGL and happened across TM, so it seemed fair to test it out on the demo. I bought it after playing the demo for 5 hours one Sunday.

Right now, I am just modding the weapons they have to cause maximum terrain scarring. I have modified the swarmer to shoot scaled nukes (hits acts like a beefier concussion rocket and hugs the terrain), another uses the 'avenger' but shoots concussion missles (needs ammo count reduced), and recently I changed the air strike to nuke air strike. It just drops 10 bombs at about 70% the power of a nuke. BTW, turning the kick up, seems magnifies the crater depth. I was getting about 30 foot deep craters with a kick of 1.5.

IP:

Kaeto
posted May 15, 2000 11:40 AM            
Kick has nothing to do with crater depth... The depth = x line sets that...

IP:

Whirlwind
posted May 15, 2000 07:28 PM            
I'm going to have to check that....

IP:

Hawk
posted May 15, 2000 08:12 PM            
He's right dude...I remember making a Main Tank Gun mod that created a huge crater with a starburstish burn in it...I've never been able to recreate the programming screwup that caused it =)

IP:

Kaeto
posted May 15, 2000 08:46 PM            
I think I will keep how you make funky burns a secret until I release my current mod because that's half of what makes it cool

IP:

Neo_Ashworth
posted May 18, 2000 10:32 PM            
I HAVE NOT PLAYED THIS GAME BUT IT LOOKS TASTY LIKE BLUEBERRY PIE SO I WILL PLAY IT I DOUBT IT BEATS DUKE NUKEM BUT IF IT DOES I'LL BE LIKE WTF AND SHARE MY TIME BETWEEN SLAYERS, DUKE3D AND THIS BABY.

Also, I think that if LDA made some sort of Online DX-Ball for head-to-head play using packets only for ball, stick and blocks when they go and come and stuff (You know, a really quick engine) then that would 0wn and I would get a copy. BTW I would buy DX Ball but I think that $15 is a bit too much.... BUT WHO CARES DX BALL OWNS SO I WILL PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"!$%#!$%"&/!$%"

kthxpie.

IP:

Hawk
posted May 18, 2000 11:29 PM            
You're utterly insane, aren't you Neo? Well, you better be. If you're not, you'll NEVER fit in around here. But by your message,sounds like yer safe.

------------------
Hawk Presents
A Hawk Designed Message
In Association With Hawk

IP:

Kaeto
posted May 19, 2000 10:38 PM            
Hawk : we're going to have to expand the sanitarium... Dang! Not AGAIN!!!

IP:

Hawk
posted May 20, 2000 09:56 AM            
Bah, dammit! Not again! We had to literally DOUBLE it in size when DvsDuke and Dudymas came in!

(Hey, I thought I was the only guy who still occasionally played Duke 3D)
------------------
Hawk Presents
A Hawk Designed Message
In Association With Hawk

[This message has been edited by Hawk (edited May 20, 2000).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted May 20, 2000 12:43 PM            
No, it was expand by half... there used to be just you, me, RC and peeet who could be called extremely insane... Then DvsDuke and Dudymas... agg... we'll have to steal, er, raise some more money to fund ourselves

IP:

DvsDuke
posted May 20, 2000 02:15 PM            
Hehe now if only Duke3d was OpenGL acceld like those doom dudes did...that would kick
but no matter i still like my Duke 3d...1,2,3d

I got into TM buy buying PCXL and i saw the reviews and said (ohhh man i gotta get home and try it)so i did so and after a few days of playing and modding the demo i got the CC# and orderd it so :P simple but sweet..hehe i bet PCXL had alot to do with new joiners of the TM gameing....and the bost in demo player..(i hateto see them playing the demo when theres so much more)

LDA but some sort of message on all demo servers saying (BUY ME BUYE ME BUY ME 52 maps....tons of tank....mods out the kazo) hehe well i guess thats all i need to say right now...

IP:

Dreamer
posted May 20, 2000 04:27 PM         
Yes, BWL is still alive. But not kicking at the moment. We are waiting for our TM packages to be delivered via a relative of moriarty's. That's why. Should be back again in about a month....
How I found TM? TM found me.

------------------
Hail and kill.

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 20, 2000 04:53 PM            
Hey, don't forget i owe most of my insanity to TM. When you start trying to get 50 barrel rolls or a couple of flips when your flying at 270 kmph then you'll know why i feel good when i play. I agree with dreamer. I don't think i ever really tried to hook TM on my lure... it seems I fell for its bait.

------------------
The king of Cookie Dough
------------------------
Your friend
------------------------
There's Only one
------------------------
DUDEY

IP:

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3