|
Author Topic:   Full game runs slower than demo?
BIGDADDY
posted April 28, 2000 10:38 AM            
I just got the full game, and WOW! The demo doesn't really do it justice, as far as how wild some of the levels are.

However, it seems that the full version is more taxing on my vid card (GeForce DDR, P2 450, 128 MB, Win 98, Nvidia 5.08 drivers, 5.13 were considerably slower with the demo). I have noticed a definate slowdown as far as frame rate, from around 40 to around 30 when there aren't too many nukes going off.

I also had problems with the game momentarily slowing to almost slideshows. I changed texture size from 512 to 256 and the problem went away. I run at 1024 x768, 32 bit color, everything maxed out. Does anyone know if I am exceeding the onboard 32 MB Ram of the GeForce and forcing texture memory to come across the AGP bus? This is my best guess as to what is happening. Thanks.

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 28, 2000 11:54 AM            
First of anyone else, i would like to say be happy. I only get 20 fps max, and that's when i'm looking up and no nukes are going off. I must admit that isn't a major problem unless it may have dragged someone else's frame rate down to the tens. It didn't do that to me, i've got a pretty bad card right now. Ack, the video card means nothing when you're playing online too. I'd like to see this fixed, i don't know the answer, but for now... you can at least know that you're still way better off then some. You know, kaeto never did answer me on how he was going to frighten someone into giving him enough money to buy TM. I already suggested one thing... Bwahahahahah!

------------------
Dudymas: The Other White Meat

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted April 28, 2000 01:37 PM            
Well, all of the levels that come with the Demo are real simple. No sheep, no kangaroos, no spewers, limited numbers of trees. As you increase each of those on some of the levels that come with the Full version it slows down.

Suggestion: Try the full version and demo on the same level - they should have the same framerate.

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Forum admin for Terrain Deformation Tread Marks Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

peeet
posted April 28, 2000 04:26 PM         
sometimes i hit a number key (higher than 1, usually 8 or 9) by accident while playing, and the framerate drops significantly. the # keys let you adjust the # of triangles for the terrain.

try switching between 1 and 9 while playing to see if it makes a difference with your card...

i always try to play at 1, because the game still looks great at the lower level.

IP:

VIO
posted April 28, 2000 06:57 PM            
Everyone needs to keep in mind that the Drivers have a significant impact on your frame rates. And that is based on too many factors for each computer to even begin to guarantee why your computer is / isnt getting nice FPS.

I have the CreativeLabs Geforce. My friend who sets up computers for a living has the PRO version. Different versions of the drivers work better on our computers than others. For me, I have to use the older 3xx series of Nvidia drivers. the 5xx version give me slide shows. Now of course, there are those people who probably have silky smooth FPS with the 5xx's... but just proves my point.

Difficult to determine these days how much something is software vs. hardware. Just keep in mind. It's frustrating I know .. but Im right there with ya. (for what good that does.)

IP:

Kaeto
posted May 08, 2000 10:56 AM            
30 FPS on a GeForce? That is BAD! My Savage2000 (should be about as fast as a DDR) does 60 FPS with T&L on, maxxed 1024x768 vsync on 75 hz without S3TC...

IP:

Jag
posted May 08, 2000 08:22 PM            
Savage2000 as fast as a geforce DDR? pffft...um...yeah...good one :P Anandtech benchmarked that submarine of a card, and a TNT was neck and neck with it in the Q3 timedemo. It's a nice chipset, but it suffers form a lot of driver issues...

as for you bigdaddy, i wouldn't be too concerend. I happen to have a very similar setup to yours (only I have an old P2 300) and i can crank everything up, and i get about the same readings you do. I have reason to believe it's a driver-interepretation issue rather than anything actually wrong. Try this out: I ran TM at 1600x1200x32 with EVERY SINGLE THING cranked to the MAX. It CLAIMED I was getting 16 FPS on average (which would sound somewhat reasonable)...but interestingly when I died it CLAIMED I was getting 200+ FPS. Uh...no. I found that a bit disturbing

but then try turning it down to the LOWEST. I ran her at 320x480 with everything low. I got exactly the same readings.

I've encountered FPS "difficulties" wiht other proggies. I was using FRAPS 99 to track the FPS of homeworld. It showed up as a cool 61 FPS, which looked about right. Then I cranked everything up, got the same reading, and cranked everything down, and got the same reason. I have reason to believe that the nvidia 5.xx drivers suffer from some sort of bug that prevents it form accurately recording the performance of the card. Or at least wiht me it does.

In all honesty though play with what you feel is "Acceptable". Maybe it is only 15 FPS or 20, but if it looks ok, play with it. Let your eyes do the judging, not the drivers.

[This message has been edited by Jag (edited May 08, 2000).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted May 09, 2000 08:33 AM            
There is a bug in TM single player... when you die time slows down by 5 times... there's a bug that makes your framerates go way up because of the change in timing...

Actually, the S2K is screamingly fast... especially if you O/C it (mines not right now because I don't need it )

IP:

Jag
posted May 13, 2000 09:10 PM            
yup the chip itself is, but S3's drivers are in many cases mediocre, i won't ever buy anything from them after they bought diamond

i had bought the viper v550 when diamond hadn't been bought by S3...then S3 overtook them and dumped their old site. after many futile attempts at just LOCATING any updated drivers i finally found some. the updated drivers actually SLOWED DOWN performance on it, at which point i switched over to the nvidia reference drivers.

from what i've heard i wasn't the only one that experienced such driver-related issues

------------------

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 14, 2000 01:52 AM            
Are you sure you didn't put in your father's name when they asked you who would be downloading the drivers. They know about the ages of peoples you know?

IP:

Kaeto
posted May 14, 2000 02:56 PM            
The new drivers for the S2K are actually pretty good... I found that to get them to work right I had to delete every file associated with the old ones, then install them, but I my biggest complaint about the card is no acceleration under X windows (2D (it seems) OR GL)

IP: