This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Server Ideas
Dudymas
posted April 15, 2000 01:12 PM            
I was thinking that instead of having all these servers with the same old turret fire that kills instantly, there should be more variety like with RC's servers being so specialized. I have a series of thoughts about this and some of the different types already thought up. Does anyone agree with me? You don't have to post anything more than a yes or no, but if you could send in more ideas i bet we could get some righteous servers. I start with some idea's, not including RC's since i expect for most to know them.
One might be a push and shove server, simply make all the weapons shove you around while making not that much damage. You could change the tank maxspeeds to the thousands... that way people will fly farther when hit. I changed my tank maxspeeds to 1250 and now, whenever a matter bomb hits you in a race, you fly up into the air for about one minute going at speeds above 1500 kmph and when you hit the ground, you go across the ground at speeds of... say, 1700 kmph and when you do stop, you have to run back for an hour or two. But this won't be a race, that way you can kill yourself and go back to the action.
another might be an all one projectile type, just being used with different weapons with modified damage. So you could have a laser server where the tanks fire lasers, the grenade launchers fire laser spewing grenades, and avengers launch a volleys of lasers. I bet this could really get out of hand, bwahahaha.
yet another could be where all the tanks fire different projectiles, and there aren't any addon weapons.
still yet another server could boast all the weapons use guided projectiles.
The kinds are boundless, i just want to find out who thinks which one will be best.

------------------
Dudymas: The Other White Meat

IP:

swisher
posted April 15, 2000 05:27 PM            
I side with peeet (see www.longbowdigitalarts.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000317.html, posted April 14, 2000 11:37 AM ), who wants a basic DeathMatch on a regular basis on a regular server (i.e., no mods). The Diamond MultiMedia server has a T1 connection, supports up to 16 players (no AI's), is full version, and would be a great place to do it. I've been opposed to the one shot, one kill, from the very beginning. I play them because that's the only place to get online action, but much prefer true, out-of-the-box, Tread Marks play.

That's my server idea.

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited April 15, 2000).]

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 15, 2000 07:13 PM            
What we need is to create variety. That way we can create a server where all the ai's are named kaeto if he doesn't buy the full version. der ain't no stratuhgee in duh killah shellz. I like a challenge, not a whoever is the best shot wins match. I'm not as good at shootin as i am playin smart. I already told you that all i had to do once was go kamakazee and i got a good frag count just like anyone else. Don't get too much stratedgy, some want to be barbaric. I know i get like that sometimes too, i just want a server where you can sit still, plan ahead, then go for it and win big. There, i'm happy so i'll go bug RC, tangent, Michael Welch, or someone till i'm satisfied that they want all humanity to be destroyed and have some eace and quiet. hmmmmmph.

------------------

IP:

peeet
posted April 16, 2000 01:01 AM         
yeah - i've noticed the kamakazee effect, too... maybe a future patch could allow the option so that one frag is removed every time you get killed (not only when you suicide). that way, strategy could be encouraged if the server op wanted.

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 16, 2000 03:50 AM            
Hey, does anyone know how to make tanks with rose tinted glasses on their turrets.

------------------

IP:

IndiQa
posted April 16, 2000 12:24 PM            
Actually I would like to see some full/registered version servers running the stock ents. And have people on them as well might be nice.

All there are is the demo servers running the same 3 maps over and over and those are ones that have players??!!?? BUY THE GAME!! Get some variety!!

NOPer has put up 3 very nice TM maps that he figured out how to create.( Jim said it was OK ) As well as some very spicy looking tanks. Wouldn't you like to use them? Get the full version and you can!!!

Bouncing sheep and kangaroos are cute for about 5 minutes and then it's boring. As are the massive kill or high inertia transfer weapons.

The fact that you can do this weird crap in TM is nice but it just unbalances the game from what it should be.

I put up a full registered server and no one joins as is the case for the very few others runnning that I see. The only players in them are bots.

IndiQa

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 16, 2000 03:09 PM            
I still want my rose tinted glasses... nyah!

------------------

IP:

peeet
posted April 16, 2000 04:43 PM         
i THINK rose-tinted would be do-able...
since we can't UV-map textures right now, i think that glasses could be made and textures as the liquid tanks are: frames liquid black and lenses liquid rose.

i guess NOPeR might know if those meshes, textured as liquid, could be added to the tank turret .ent file... NopeR?

IP:

NOPeR
posted April 17, 2000 12:24 PM            
Well, You'd have to change a tank or turrets model and then only you would see it unless you created a new tank and distibuted the files.

There isn't an ENT file specific to a tanks turret and you can't just HAVE the rose tinted glasses! You'd have to earn them, such as a powerup

The entire effect could be created like so:
1. Create a powerup
2. The powerup model, when mounted on the tank, is the frames (they don't have to be liquid black, just black will work)
3. A secondary powerup model would be a big transparent rose colored sphere that would surround the tank giving the appearance of "viewing the work thru rose tinted glasses"

`Course I can't imagine what a rose-tinted powerup would do! Perhaps inverted damage :P or you could drop roses on the ground that when touched would send your enemies on a low damage phsycodelic spin. Enjoy the ride.

NOPeR

IP:

peeet
posted April 17, 2000 12:59 PM         
uh, could you replace the mesh for the Bauble entity, "Bauble2T.lwo" (and "turn off" the feature that makes it move around, maybe using the "stiffness" and "dampening" settings) with the glasses?

i think that might work, but all the tanks (locally) would have glasses!

and others wouldn't see it unless they had the modified "Bauble2T.lwo" file, and then every tank would have glasses...

IP:

peeet
posted April 17, 2000 01:01 PM         
and if it was a weapon, maybe it would be "X-Ray Glasses" and send out blasts of radiation...

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 17, 2000 02:31 PM            
Hey, nonono, i don't want them to sit there. I want rose tinted glasses and so forth instead of those team flags. Just use a different model for the flags eh? Hehehe. Hey, i don't know who would have the time to find out but i have a site that lists a LOT of mesh makers and stuff. Let's find out what we can use. The site is www-users.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~roberts/software.html

------------------

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 17, 2000 03:06 PM            
Wait, you could even have the glasses given to you if your in first place, whether in race or death match.

IP:

NOPeR
posted April 17, 2000 05:36 PM            
There is no support for 1st place ego mode...to bad thou - that would rock in DM games! `course I wouldn't pick a pair of rose tinted glasses am my indicator of first place, a bullseye would be more like it.

But on a more sane topic - here are some ideas for new weapons my brother and I are tossing around in our heads:

- Mortar: Rear tank mount (Qty ?) that lobs a mortar in a high arc (Anyone play Tribes?) Heavy area damage (.7), medium slash (.3), no homing.

- Midnight: Tank mount, single staight fire missle with no crater. Medium damage (.4), SUPER kick and blackens a large area of map. (Have you ever tried to play a map where the terrain is pitch black!)

- Static/Stasis/Force Field/Shield (We are still working on the name!): Funtions like the Ramdrill in that it doesn't really fire a projectile but instead puts up a field around your tank that will damage any enemies on impact. Low/Medium (.2) damage and small push. I'm thinking "bumper-cars mod".

- Concrete "Mule": Drops a huge "Mule" on your enemy. If it hits, they die. We're not sure about his one yet, but it might be fun if the spawn weight (change of appearing) was set low enough. And yes, this is another idea ripped off from the Worms series.

Getting the graphics just right will be the big concern, also, nothing as powerful as the nuke or shockwave...`cept the concrete mule, but that is different! Insane damage is fun but not if every weapon does it!

Suggestions or Ideas are welcome.

NOPeR

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 17, 2000 05:46 PM            
I will say this, the mortar is something i've thought about too. I'd like it if the pitch black nuke laid mines. Wait, even better..... why not make mines that spew smoke screens, or even just a plain smoke screen emitter. You lay them on the ground, and in a few seconds... poof, everything is black. Godd luck if you run into this. the mines need to creep though, so i'll have to use a variety of mine spewers and smoke spewers. These would work great... but there is a problem... i don't know how to get black smoke... help anyone?

------------------

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 17, 2000 05:47 PM            
Oh, and another thing. I won't be available the rest of the week after today... i'm going somewhere for a little over a week. You'll have to go to a server now to see me today!!!

------------------

IP:

peeet
posted April 17, 2000 06:04 PM         
i thought of a weapon that might blind another player, if you could create a sphere that stays with them for a while. the sphere would have to have the faces pointed toward the inside so they couldn't see out, but everyone else can see in...

they would still be able to use their radar map and see your tell-tale, too

IP:

peeet
posted April 18, 2000 12:55 AM         
uh oh - do you think that the sphere mesh would block shots from hitting them?

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 28, 2000 12:00 PM            
Maybe, but i still want my glasses. I think i could make em too. I'll have the frames be the flag stick, and then the lenses become the flag holder. hehe, we'll have to make new, round flags with the add option on. Smileys if it works.

------------------

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted April 28, 2000 01:35 PM            
Peeeeeeeeet: The anwser about that mesh: Direct hits I "think" shouldn't hit (assiming hits on the weapon don't count as hits on the tank), but splash damage would still apply.

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Forum admin for Terrain Deformation Tread Marks Forum
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 02, 2000 07:19 PM            
Hey, someone check out povray. I think that'll make my glasses man! The website is www.povray.com

------------------

IP:

peeet
posted May 02, 2000 10:08 PM         
i'm afraid not, dudymas... unless you make .pov glasses out of triangles and then convert them to .lwo format. objects are usually made using CSG* in POV-Ray, not using triangle meshes (although meshes can be used, too).

also, POV-Ray is not a modeller (POV is text-based, although there are POV-specific modellers out there), so you're better off using one of the modellers we discussed earlier. i'm only familiar with one POV modeller, called Moray, which does not readily allow for triangle mesh creation. you might want to check out POV modellers, like "Breeze Designer" (which i remember being very esy to use) to see if they can create triangle meshes. The most powerful (shareware) modeller i've seen (besides POV-specific Moray) is "Blender", but i was frustrated with its GUI and didn't try to learn how to use it...

POV-Ray is a very powerful and relatively easy-to-use ray-tracing program that can create some stunning photo-realistic imagery and animations. BTW, POV-Ray is freeware, and a group of talented programmers and artists have been updating and improving it for years! users are well-supported by the community.

POV is what got me interested in 3D computer graphics. as POV is a ray-tracer, though, rendering a single image frame can take from seconds to days, depending on the scene's complexity. so, last year as i was looking around for "real-time" 3D graphics info using OpenGL, i stumbled on the Tread Marks beta version...

* CSG (constructive solid geometry) involves creating 3D objects using one or more simple solids such as boxes, spheres, cones, torii, etc. the shapes can be combined by intersections, differences, unions, etc., to make more complex shapes.

thinking about CSG gave me the idea of using simple .lwo meshes to create weapons, etc. in Tread Marks. (see /forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000322.html )

[This message has been edited by peeet (edited May 02, 2000).]

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 06, 2000 09:00 PM            
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Everything has to happen to me!
I just got my computer cd-r fixed, and as i just booted up my system, something bad, i realized, had happened. Those stinkin tech's reinstalled microsoft outlook! this destroyed all my e-mails, adresses, bookmarks... you name, it was lost... with the exception of my anger. But, those evil pc people didn't mess up Tread Marks. So, i will be merciful. I will cut off their heads, shrink the heads in salts, and place them on poles on top of my computer to ward off anymore STINKIN' EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now, i'm relying on you. Could anyone who still wants me to contact them send me your e-mail adresses? Of course, we know kaeto's e-mail. You just type in something to do with taxes and terrorism... not to forget any other evils you can think of... and it'll reach him, soon enough. Thnx!

------------------

IP:

Kaeto
posted May 06, 2000 10:01 PM            
kaeto@earthlink.net (hehe)
treadmarks@treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com (RC)
effdee@fcmail.com (Hawk, probably no good, he gets a new addy 2x a week :P)

IP:

Hawk
posted May 06, 2000 10:04 PM            
I do not you jammy b#^%!^, I keep ALL the old ones =P at this point I have like 10 =P

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2