|
Author Topic:   Has anyone read this review...
Guru
posted April 11, 2000 03:40 PM            
http://www.speedy3d.com/reviews/treadmarks/

Talk about crashing on one of the best games I have played in a long time. I have every single game system known to man (from console to PC), and this has to be one of the best games I have seen for any of them. I have played for several months now, and I still find myself sitting at work, longing to go home to frag some tanks. I have even started playing it at work during breaks and lunches.

And, from what I have heard on this forum, I am not the only one. The fact that the game is fully modifiable (in time), gives it a chance to grow in the future.

I just think some people are way too harsh on something they only played for four hours!!

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 11, 2000 03:54 PM            
By golly, why didn't i type this first. I do too have all the game systems (with some obvious exceptions and the PS... sorry) and been a hardy gamer, but now, this crushes all the others. I can't touch anything related to games except that disk i got in the mail from LDA. Has anyone ever wanted to e-mail everyone else in the world about a game?

------------------
Dudymas: The Other White Meat

IP:

Vlad
posted April 11, 2000 05:59 PM            
Yick. It's painfully obvious that he wasn't exactly the kind of person who would have enjoyed the kind of game Treadmarks is anyway. He seemed to expect to just be able to sit down and be able to hit anything at any distance with any weapon.. every time.

But he couldn't and proceeds to assume that NOBODY could do it (yet I see it done every time I play the game).

So far, I've found their review and IGN's review VERY disappointing and shallow.

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 11, 2000 07:27 PM            
What do you expect? People are rushed to finish reviews and are paid to do it. Just as long as the website remains popular it doesn't change much at all. I can easily imagine what kind of rotten people get into this crowd. It is hard to be a critic without being someone who thinks their view is final. Personally i don't listen to critics at all if they are appointed to their position by their own asking. The only critics i listen to are people who are obviously humbled, intelligent in their field that they are to judge for others, and show multiple view points. Not someone who says, i don't like it. But that is hardly ever found in the world today. What upsets me is that people listen to their views. Just imagine how many people are going to look at that and take it seriously. Okay, no one else get me started on this or you're going to have a few good megabytes of type to deal with... heheh.

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 11, 2000 07:30 PM            
But, don't forget this. Those people are dealing with a game which can change even the most sour day into something sweeter than cookie dough (hard to believe, eh?). I won't be surprised if those people who gave bad reviews had someone close to them die before they started reviewing. So do pray for those people, please do.

IP:

Vlad
posted April 11, 2000 10:16 PM            
I've found it's best to choose what games to get by weighing the following things:

- MULTIPLE reviews. I NEVER base a purchasing decision on one review. This has more weight with me if all the reviews are similar, and complain about similar things.

- Demo. There's gotta be a demo. Any company nowadays that doesn't put a demo out of its product doesn't deserve my money.

- Word of mouth. Check the message boards, talk to people. Message boards will ALWAYS have people complaining about some bug or another soon after the game's release. However, the severity of the complaining tells a lot. There's the mild, non-crippling bugs, but not much in the way of game-halting stuff (Homeworld), the game that has a TON of bugs and such, but the company looks to be addressing (check the board for Messiah for an example of that), and then there's the "Ultima IX category"...

NOBODY should base a purchase on just one review. Heck, I was inclined to try the Earth 2150 demo because the guy from Penny Arcade was raving about it on his site (it's an awesome demo, btw), but the previews haven't said a whole lot.

But the fact remains that time constraints can't excuse some of the things that were said about TM. For instance, the IGN review mentioned the reviewer not liking the physics. He didn't mention if other people in the office, or people in general had the same opinion.

Well, that's how I'd do it, at least...

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 11, 2000 10:26 PM            
Uh-hmmmm. That's what you say huh? Well, you didn't mention about what other people in your family think. HERETIC!!! burn him at the stake if he doesn't confess to his lies. Hawk, ready the torture chamber in the LDA basement housing, we have another one. Bwahahahaha!!!

------------------
Dudymas: The Other White Meat

IP: