|
Author Topic:   Is it possible to make invisible Spewer ?
VIO
posted April 06, 2000 10:51 PM            
Hi everyone,
I have a really neat idea on a weapon mod that Im working on. So far.. after many days of diggin.. I think I have it almost done. However, Im wondering how can I make a spewer as invisible as possible ? I noticed that some of Random Chaos' notes (and others) have mentioned things about Spewers inherit from some class that requires a bitmap. So Im kinda confused as to how to make one invisible. <brain hurt .. owie>

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted April 07, 2000 02:19 PM            
Well, there are a couple of tricks to doing it. One is scale it so small it is almost un-rendered. The next is set the transparent = 1. This should make the spewer almost completely invisible. The only visible part will be reflected light, and I think that can be killed with the EnvLight command, though I am not familiar with that...

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

VIO
posted April 07, 2000 10:18 PM            
Thanks once more ! Will give it a shot. Im currently working on a weapon from the Scorched Earth fame. The Tunneler. Even worked out a way to generate random direction changes as the quake rips up (or more precisely .. down) terrain. Although... Im having problems with the Spewer.. they are very fiesty things.

Seems there is a minimum realistic spew time and total number of chained entities that they like to use.. .if you only want spewers to last a few seconds. (or could just be me.)

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 09, 2000 07:06 PM            
Hey, RC, how do you set the transparencies like on the mite, where orange is slightly transparent and the black is totally invisible? and how do you make reflective surfaces, i can't seem to discover the secret.

------------------
Dudymas: The Other White Meat

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 11, 2000 04:03 PM            
well, just to keep this one new, i will say i figured it had something to do with alphagrad and all but i still don't know what to do since it still doesn't give the right results... YET when i made a tree mine it was partially transparent. Eeeeeesh, how does he do it?

------------------

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 13, 2000 08:58 PM            
I am assuming no one knows yet. I will be able to research this more later but if anyone could do it for me, i would be verty tankful.

------------------

IP:

kleenfreek
posted April 20, 2000 08:27 PM            
The effect you spoke of on the mite is accomplished with the blend=add function. it's adding the RGB values of the pixels with whatever they are rendered over. therefore, black has no effect, white is a washout, and all colors inbetween push the pixel values higher. if you wanted to make something totally transparent, you could set its blend mode to add and make its texture all black. does that help at all? i only just got TM so im still familiarizing myself with the way it works.

IP: