|
Author Topic:   ????
Jason
posted April 06, 2000 09:40 PM            
i finally got my brother's computer to run treadmarks with hardware openGL. big difference, very shocking. only some weird things happen. some of the particle system sprite thingies don't seem to be mapping correctly- instead of the sprite i was expecting, it showed some funky thing that had the right colors, but showed square edges and lines. anybody know what's up? i'll put up a screen shot so you'll know what i'm talking about.

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 11, 2000 07:38 PM            
I think i heard something about that, what card are you using.

------------------
Dudymas: The Other White Meat

IP:

Jason
posted April 16, 2000 11:17 PM            
uh... don't know. I think it's an ALi or something.

IP:

peeet
posted April 17, 2000 10:48 AM         
uh oh... i hope its not an ATI...

right click on your desktop, select 'properties', click on the 'settings' tab, then click the 'advanced' button. choose the 'adapter' tab and tell us the Manufacturer and Chip Type listed.

BTW, did you have to use D3D_ON.bat to get hardware accel. working?
i had an ATI Rage Pro based card, and remember using altogl or some other wrapper, and i remember seeing the same type of effects you describe when using the wrapper.
(note that when using direct3d wrappers, it's not the same as full openGL hardware accelleration - the wrapper translates the openGL commands into direct3d commands for the video card, so its still much slower than opengl hardware accel., but a little faster than software mode)

IP:

Jason
posted April 18, 2000 12:40 AM            
Apparently it's a Diamond Stealth III S540. D3D_ON.BAT? never heard of it... but then again i'm an idiot so i probably wouldn't have. But yeah... I only recently got my brother's computer to allow hardware acceleration because before, it continually froze and refused to do anything at random times when i tried to run TM from hardware... i think the reason it started working was because i installed AltoGL or something along the lines of that.

IP:

peeet
posted April 18, 2000 12:54 AM         
yeah - altogl is a type of direct3d wrapper that i described. altogl is actually shipped on the treadmarks cd, and you use the batch file "d3d_on.bat" to turn it on...

i saw the same thing when i used a different wrapper when i had my ATI card... (i don't think it was altogl, but another one) i don't think you can get rid of it...

that card should work with TM, with the right drivers... have you tried glsetup? (see www.glsetup.com) you might want to try that...

or visit diamond's web site for the latest drivers.

you will have to uninstall the drivers you are using, then install the latest drivers; or go to www.glsetup.com, and run glsetup thru the web (it will take a long time), which will install the latest opengl drivers for your card...

good luck!

IP:

Guru
posted April 20, 2000 01:30 PM            
I have noticed that I have troubles with my video card, too. I have the ATI Rage Fury in my computer, and I have not been able to load the OpenGL on it. When I received my full version of the game, I went ahead and read the glsetup and when it finished, my monitor just went on power save and did nothing else. Has anyone else had this problem and may know how to fix it?

Thanx!

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited April 20, 2000).]

IP:

peeet
posted April 20, 2000 05:29 PM         
uh oh... does the rage fury use the rage pro chip? if so, forget hardware accel... ATI's drivers just won't work

i had that problem and i just couldn't get it to work with my ATI card, so i bought a TNT-2 chip-based card!

IP:

Kaeto
posted April 22, 2000 12:11 PM            
Rage Fury isn't rage pro based, and should work fine with TM... I belive LDA has one, but I'm not sure...

IP: