|
Author Topic:   Weapons Targeting>
Azmyth
posted March 29, 2000 11:07 PM            
Um, are we talkin' seriously steep learning curve, or what?
I can't seem to hit the broad-side, unless I'm on top of them.....
I use my j-stick enabled w/ mouse free look On-Is that where my problem lies??
I also experience my turret getting stuck looking backwards??(Usually timed perfectly with an enemy close by...)
Maybe this will change once I'm running the full version?
EXPERT OPINIONS?

IP:

swisher
posted March 30, 2000 12:36 AM            
Practice. A lot of it. I've played two months now and still miss a lot. If you're online, try DSL or cable. I played with 56k for three weeeks and the lag was unreal. DSL 256k is almost like single-player.

Joystick is hard to use. I've tried Microsoft Precision Pro and Dual Strike. Found both hard to use. I use keyboard only now. z=turret left, c=turret right, space=fire (thumb), up arrow=forward, left-arrow=turn left, right-arrow=turn right, down-arrow=backwards.

I have turret view on (key="m"), mouse look I think] on ("L"), and camera mode funky ("Del").

I think most players use a keyboard/mouse combination. Intellieye (no ball) mouse is supposed to do good job. Mouse left button fire, right button turret view, move mouse left, turret moves left, move mouse right, turret moves right.

The most important thing is use your turret right away! Don't wait thinking you'll turn your tank to frag -- it doesn't work -- you must use your turret to be competitive. I wasted two weeks refusing to use the turret. Frag count went up about 30% after using turret -- changed my name from Newbie to Swisher. I've got a long ways to go to be really good, but I enjoy the game so much that winnning means little to me.

Don't think the full version will change anything. I've noticed that the "There's no spoon" (Matrix movie quote) server has alomost Cruise Missle accurate 120mm shells. I've shot from a mile away and they'll curve to hit the nearest tank.

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited March 30, 2000).]

IP:

peeet
posted March 30, 2000 07:31 AM         
have to agree about turret use, but for the first few weeks i played, i didn't use it at all (views too confusing). after a while, i got used to the movement and views enough that i started using the turret - seemed to make the transition easier to learn without it first.

i too use keyboard only (default settings), with mostly turret view on and camera view funky - if i have mouse look on, the keyboard won't move my turret!

i also play by 56k modem only (i can play OK with ping up to ~500) and i'm pretty happy with a good connection...

Azmyth, to practice, try turning your turret to one side, and then circle and shoot at a robot - make minor adjustments to the way your barrel is pointing by moving the turret or just by how you turn - that will help to get you used to the view, as well as aiming.

IP:

Saint_Proverbius@Ni!
posted March 30, 2000 11:11 AM            
I have a dumb question. WASPs seem guided, what are the locking on? Any way to pick their target?

IP:

swisher
posted March 30, 2000 12:11 PM            
Best to aim Wasps uphill, as they shoot at an upward angle. Shooting Wasps at someone right in front of you hits nothing. If you're in a slight hole, you may have better luck.

IP:

Vlad
posted March 30, 2000 01:08 PM            
Wasps aim, but only partly. They don't start to track a target until a few seconds after launch. I've found that they're best used when you've got one opponent a good distance away. Fire the Wasps in his general direction, and a good amount of them will home in.

And as long as we're discussion control cfgs, I'm mouse/keyboard. I've got Turretlook and Mouselook on, and Camera on funky.

I use WASD to move the tank around (I also use mouse2 to move the tank forward.. I'm too used to my FPS cfg). The mouse moves my view, and the turret turns to follow that. That way, I can move the view faster than I can move the turret, so I can look around easier.

IP:

Dudymas
posted March 30, 2000 04:18 PM            
I use my controller to move around while the mouse does all the aiming. I just have to figure out how to get that wobling motion out. I have a great connection but it just won't go away.

IP:

babybeans
posted March 30, 2000 04:56 PM            
In case any of you guys are looking to buy a new joystick for this game:
Get the Interact Hammerhead F/X joystick. It's got DUAL thumbsticks along with 10 programmable buttons and a d-pad. I use the left thumbstick to steer the body of the tanks and for acceleration; and the right thumbstick for turret movement. It works great! I think the stick is $39.99 at Best Buy. Oh, it has a built in rumble pack too, but I haven't gotten it to work yet with this game.

IP:

Azmyth
posted March 30, 2000 05:30 PM            
Okay, this morning before I left for work,
I went a few rounds sngl. player, using the k-board for body cntrl. & the mouse for turret....
Now I understand! Something about the j-stick seemed to make thingz much tougher!
Now I'll log some hours & see what's up!!!
THNX ALL!
~@~

IP: