This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Craziest TM happenings?
Vlad
posted March 29, 2000 02:31 AM            
After messing around with the ENT files, I thought I'd ask what some of the craziest, strangest, or just all out coolest things you've all seen and/or done in TM have been.

I'll go first :-)

- I made a modification to the Cruise Missles so that you get 15 on a pickup, and they all fire at once, in a nice spread. To compensate, I upped the speed (takes them longer to correct after missing), and halved the TimeToLive. Asthetically, I just changed the SmokeTrailEnt to explo/wasphit (those red spark things), which looked damned cool.

Finally, I cut the damage on them, but made the kick a VERY large number, so that anything that got hit by one would be pretty much flying, and any other nearby ones could try to take them out.

Using these, I set up a little 7-tank brawl on Scarab (the best map, IMO, in the demo, and still a good one amongst the Full ver maps).

I come over a hill, just in time to see an AI about halfway to the horizon get nailed from behind with one of the altered Cruise Missles.. while it was climbing a hill. With the kick absurdly high, it sent the AI flying almost straight up into the air, flipping end over end at what looked like 20 times a second, if not more. Not only that, but he was smoking badly. I thought to myself "hey, easy kill", so as I start to head on over, I see another Cruise Missle come FLYING over the same hill and hit the AI in the air, blowing him from sight. It just looked horribly painful.

- This one happened back when all I had was the demo. I was on the Way Beyond Thunderdome server, where one shot from the main turret kills. I can't remember who was on, but I know that peeet was on there. It was mostly dumb luck, but an AI and two other players happened to cross my path while I was chugging along at a good clip, and I happened to get all 3 of them with 3 shots. The best part of it was what peeet (who I guess saw the whole thing) said something like "Jeez Vlad, you'r on a rampage" :-)

- One last one :-)

Try this for a weapon. Replace the nuke mesh with that of the sheep, give them the same guiding stats as a cruise missle, as well as make it so that they can't hit the ground (followground = 1.5), and give them a speed of about 5-10.

You end up with the Sheep of Doom. It's INCREDIBLY amusing to turn around and see this sheep slowly closing in on you. You try to run, hoping to outlast it's lifespan (or trying to get it to target someone else). Then you hit a crater and end up upside down. You see the sheep (trailing smoke and all), casually float in, and then: BOOM!

Perhaps I just have too much fun with this stuff.

Oh well, just trying to spark conversation on here :-)

------------------

-Vlad

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 29, 2000 03:39 AM            
I to have experienced the spinning tank phenomena. My favorite TM happening is when I edited .ent files to allow nukes to be picked up in 10s. And I had 20 AIs and left the game for an hour, I came back to see one giant lake.

IP:

peeet
posted March 29, 2000 09:23 AM         
i think my most memorable kill was quite a while ago, playing a demo (or test ver 2.1) server with a couple of players who i hadn't seen before (or since...). playing the Ramp map, i had just picked up the MRL on top of the ramp, and i noticed that a player was just sitting at the foot, between the water and the tower, waiting for me. well, i got up to medium speed heading for the end of the ramp, and just before i went over, i slowed down so i kind of "fell" off, head first. i saw the player sitting there, and let the rockets rip! it looked so cool watching the projectiles slamming that tank while i slowly fell! the rockets fragged the tank before i landed, and i landed right where the tank was sitting. i don't think he knew what hit him!

i also love seeing a tank get fragged in mid-air by a well-placed shot!

IP:

Vlad
posted March 29, 2000 12:25 PM            
Yeah, those mid-air shots are just plain cool.

Way back when I started playing online, I was on WBT again, and on Scarab. I was getting pretty beaten around by the other people on the server, who had been playing TM way before I'd even heard of it. I still kept at em, though, in the hopes of at least getting one kill.

That one kill happened when I came flying over one of the hills (gotta love Liquid Falcon) and ended up facing down too soon (in other words, I wasn't going to land right-side-up). It so happened that there was an enemy tank directly under my flight path. After a little timing, and a lot of luck, I fired off a round from my main gun. This being WBT, it hit and killed.

I just wish I could have seen it from another perspective.

------------------

-Vlad

IP:

Dudymas
posted March 29, 2000 09:59 PM            
okay, i have some good ones.
1. I used me power wonker once to make holes that were, say 3 wide by 10 deep, and allowed there to be ten more shots fired off with each explosion (in other words... you know how sometimes if you hit someone with the shadow keeper that another shot will fly from their tank and hit them again, well imagine having about ten times the srpray of particles and bolts that go on continually since the power wonker bolts do little damge and launch the the tank upwards) from the blast. The holes would be so deep that it created that you could go ripping down into one and fly about, i would say, 100 meters or more into the air. i have to get some of those great shots.

2. When ever i go onto the moon level (full version) you can be up in the air a good minute sometimes with my modifications and launch thousands of wasps or nukes to rain terror on below... Bwahaha!!!

3. I have gotten real good on doing stunts. I think my best controlled barrel roll was about 50 to 70 meters going across the landscape and my best amount of flips i can't really count since the power wonker really gives you to much to count.

4. Another good one was when i upped the force that the turret shells have. I could take a tank from one side of the level to the other sometimes if i had enough ammo and synchronized hits.

5. I once customized a few of the tanks to launch their own little special projectiles: the dwarf for instance shot fire balls and the destroyer shot the equivalent of an airstrike bomb only instead of blowing up when it touches the ground, it just bounces off while it seeks out enemies at a speed of 15. Once i got 20 or so of these bouncing bombs to strike a tank... at once, and you couldn't measure the speed or distance that tank went from point a: where it was before it was hit; to point b: where it was after tumbling around a few seconds. It was so much fun to watch i forgot about the other tanks and was killed a few times in rapid succession.

6. I modified a streamer to spray countless amounts of chaff at once when one of my radmines went off. I used the plasma particle bitmaps. It is so awesome to look at, and i didn't even imagine that such an effect could happen on the game. i have to get some better pics of that too. I already have RC drooling to get his ver of TM back online and i didn't believe the effect was that great at all compared to some others.

[This message has been edited by Dudymas (edited March 29, 2000).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted March 30, 2000 12:52 PM            
In test 1, I made a tank that was capable of over 900 thousand KPH. Touch the gas, and you were off at abou 200 thousand... took about a minute to max out, though, even with insane accel. I also have a screenshot of what happens when you play with 125 tanks. They mash the ground down so much that it makes a trench (this was in test 1, too )

IP:

VIO
posted March 30, 2000 07:59 PM            
Wow, some of those ideas are VERY inspiring. I must admit that I have not bothered much with learning or messing around with the configurable aspects of the full version that I own.

Would any of you be so kind as to email me your best ... or even your worst weapon mods ?

I could then try to come up with some and return the favor. But I would at least like one good example to explore and try to figure out.

Thanks for any assistance you can throw my way. (and Congrats on the Killer Sheep!!!)

IP:

Vlad
posted March 30, 2000 08:04 PM            
Hey VIO, if you've got the full version, I can email you the ent file of the Doom Sheep. I don't know how well it would work in the demo, though..

IP:

Kaeto
posted March 31, 2000 10:56 PM            
Also : on scarab, coming down the big hill with one powerup, grabbing another, passing the statue to the right, and nailing someone with a nuke as they jumped up... RC was lining up to shoot his landing spot, and I fly in and nuke him... (team game BTW)

In test 1, sniping a guy with the main tank gun from about 500 meters... shot up at about 45 degrees, comes down square on him I used to be soooooo good at TM

EDIT : Also, made wasps have R-grenades for trails, which all shot off avengers as they bounced around... whenever your fired one, there would be a huge area of destruction...

[This message has been edited by Kaeto (edited March 31, 2000).]

IP:

Vlad
posted March 31, 2000 11:15 PM            
Ohhhh... gave me an idea...

Recusive missles... Something along the lines of the "crash the computer in 1 second" magnitude.

Make each smoke puff from each wasp release 10 more wasps... mmmm..

Or make each smoke trail from the flamer be another flamer...

How did you get the Grenades to call an ent on the bounce, anyway?

And here's something else I was trying to do, but couldn't get it. Perhaps someone can help..

I wanted the wasps to each spawn a Laser after their time expires. I made the time short, and made the guideramp (or whichever one controls how fast it takes a missle to lock on) the same as the timetolive. And for the exploent, I made it the laser projectile. That way, a swarm of missles would all simultaneously burst into lasers directed at ONE point (or however many tanks were targetted).

The problem is, when the lasers spawned, they all spawned parallel to each other, and facing sideways, so they took off to the right or left.

IP:

VIO
posted April 01, 2000 02:33 AM            
First of all, Thank you to those who have given me feedback to my request for even just one example of how to do a weapon mod.

Having and example.. and from reading all of these really cool ideas you guys have come up with.. has inspired me to try to recreate something my old AirWarrior Online Squadron used to joke about. our Squadron was/is the 69th Shepherd Squadron. We used to joke about how funny it would be to air drop an entire flock of sheep onto the enemy and have the sheep rigged with TNT.

Well, as of 2:38AM Saturday (EST)... I have almost completed this insane idea. A few more tweaks and the 69th Airborne Sheep Infantry Platoon will live and reign terror upon all. (hopefully.)

If I can get it working correctly I will distribute the .ENT files to who ever has the full version and would like a copy.

Thanks again for all the help.
Looking forward to seeing everyone's other ideas sometime in the future.

IP:

Vlad
posted April 01, 2000 03:19 AM            
Ahahhaha!

Let me know if you get the sounds working. I tried to make the Sheep of Doom make the "baah" sound, so instead of hearing the nuke siren close in, you hear the sheep bleating. However, there's only silence.

I see a pattern developing, though... Sheep everywhere.

IP:

Kaeto
posted April 01, 2000 10:33 PM            
Did that once... Recursive avengers ran fine on my Athlon 500... for about 2 seconds... then it grows exponentially... by the time I stopped it, it was taking 5 minutes to draw 1 frame :P As to the laser problem : you can get around it with a spewer entity, but I'd say just make a new laser projectile that homes... simple enough... Give it a guidebias of 1. But you'd have to use a different kind of beam, I think... ugh! let me think about this one ain't modded TM in over 2 months! Might have to call on RC the Great Modder :P

[This message has been edited by Kaeto (edited April 01, 2000).]

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 02, 2000 03:41 PM            
Just created a new weapon on march 27th. I call it the power bolt launcher (even though the entities use the name power ball launcher). It launches wave after wave of plasma bolts which, i am able to say quite reassuringly, will launch players up into the air for a minute on regular gravity if you hit them more than once simultaneously. I also rigged the tanks now to 1250 mps max and it screwed up all the AI's big time. Now their flying over my head all the time so i don't really need the PBL right now. I am going to make a new weapon soon that will be more deadly than any others i made yet (and a lot more fun for each shot... hehe).

IP:

Neon Samurai
posted April 03, 2000 04:11 AM            
Well after checking out the idea for sheep bombs i decided to mess around and make my own, these suckers tho bounce around after you and i got them to baah by making a new sound ent file for them. i then went nuts and make matter kangaroos and bunny mines %)

i might release it, who knows...

IP:

Kaeto
posted April 03, 2000 09:22 AM            
RC already made Sheep mines...

IP:

Neon Samurai
posted April 03, 2000 05:16 PM            
Ya? never seen em so cant realy comment.
Ive noticed there isnt a tm mod page yet that i have found, so i have no idea what has been done yet and done well

IP:

NightQwerty
posted April 03, 2000 09:07 PM            
Has any of you played Worms, Worms2, or Worms:Armageddon? They all have Sheep Strikes, which is an air strike with sheep. then they have running sheep that explode, sheep launched from bazoookas that then turn into the basic sheep, and super sheep that fly to the enemy and blow them up. THere's also an old lady that walks around and blows up after a time....
A Stone Donkey comes down from the sky and flattens everything as well as incurs 100 damage, the maximum.
A Holy Hand Grenade when thrown, blows up in 3 seconds(Monty Python, anyone?)
banana bombs are grenades that blow into 5 bananas, which can really put a damper on you day.
Molotov cocktails(called 'petrol bombs' by those english guys of Team17) blow up on impact and burn savagely.

You can steal a bunch of ideas from Worms(r).

------------------
NightQwerty

IP:

Neon Samurai
posted April 04, 2000 01:57 PM            
yep fun game, thats why i made my sheep bounce around ;o)

course every game on the market has stolen ideas from another. its very very rare to find an original game nowadays.

hmmm maybe ill make grandma bombs too hehe

[This message has been edited by Neon Samurai (edited April 04, 2000).]

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 05, 2000 03:23 PM            
I love W:A too. I think i'll work on some sheep strikes soon, i just have another project to mop up, then i'll have a really fun project to do!

------------------
Dudymas: The Other White Meat

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 10, 2000 05:33 PM            
Hehe, I really got it on one server. Once I was trying to get a c-bomb on sheldon's server on the armageddon level. I was killed by a nuke or two each time I got within 50 meters of it. One half of the time one nuke would hit the ground near me and I would be quick enough to put my front armor to the blast so as not to die but the blast would not only turn down my HP, it knocked me up into the air and just as I am at the peak of my utterly beautiful and awe-inspiring arc and seemingly levetating, KAboom!!! another nuke shatters my tank. I think it wasn't until about 15 minutes later when I got the c-bomb I was in flaming disorder and just before I fired it, the level time expired. Don't ask me what my reaction was, because I'm not going to post that here.

------------------

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 15, 2000 01:18 PM            
Hehe, here's a given fact. After i had maxed out all of my tanks in top speed, i got more than i bargained for on the armageddon level. The new top speeds made the tanks fly faster and harder so that when a matter bomb hit me on the Armageddon level, i went to visit Heaven and chat with the angels a while, before hitting the ground at about 1780 kmph. this you would laugh about i know except that it was a race and it took me about 15 minutes the first time to get back to the course, another time i never made it back......

IP:

Vlad
posted April 15, 2000 03:22 PM            
So it's basically like racing on Lunar? :-)

I mixed that with my high-kick, 1/4 damage, cluster cruise missles once... BAD idea. You have to hope that the missles knock you through checkpoints....

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 15, 2000 07:21 PM            
Heheheh!!! I've got to try that with more people and make the nukes throw you across the ground, not above or around it. I could play golf with that idea. Hey, speaking of that, oooh oooh, here's a good one. How about if you could launch an ai into a group of enemies and knock them off their treads and let the bowler get all the frags. I think i once did that by knocking... was it sheldon??? into a pit where another group was hiding and he killed them all in one sweep of his turret... they didn't know what hit em. I'm not sure about that one, but i know i did something very much like it.

------------------

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 16, 2000 03:53 AM            
hey, almost ferdot... Congrats peetey, you're officially a master of the cool jerk.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2