|
Author Topic:   Working but Cheap 3D Cards?
wmacris
posted March 13, 2000 05:44 PM         
In general, what's a good and CHEAP 3D card that will work with Tread Marks and give decent gameplay at 800x600 under Win95b? I'm somewhat naive about 3D hardware - TM is the first game that has made me intensely desire a 3D accelerator. I have a PII-350 with 2x AGP but it has a basic 2D card right now.

I've seen good prices on some of the Diamond Fire GL cards...if anyone has used these, what's the model & onboard RAM you've been using?

Finally, my notebook PC has an ATI Rage LT Pro. If anyone is successfully using TM with this adapter, which driver & where did you get it?

Thanks, Willie.

IP:

Vlad
posted March 13, 2000 08:41 PM            
Well, given what you're looking for, I'd STRONGLY reccomend a Voodoo2 based card. They're cheap (< $100) and work fine for 800x600. I had one, and it worked great with Treadmarks, Half-Life, Quake 1-3, UT, etc.

A single 12MB Voodoo2 can't go past 800x600, but you'll still get great performance out of it for a good price.

And it's going to be a PCI card, not AGP.

I hope that helps.

-Vlad

IP:

wmacris
posted March 14, 2000 11:27 AM         
GLSetup Build 1.0.0.113 has fixed my laptop's ATI Rage LT Pro. There's slowdown if I try to increase the parameters from their minimums, but it runs well at 640x480 and 800x600. Tread Marks rules!

IP:

Cell
posted March 14, 2000 07:04 PM         

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited March 02, 2002).]

IP:

peeet
posted March 14, 2000 11:02 PM         
hah! TM made me want to get a decent 3D card too! had an ATI RagePro and TM wouldn't even run in accellerated mode... i asked the same question from other players and most recommended a TNT-2 based card.
so i bought a Leadtech S320-II for $96US a few months ago. after playing around with my BIOS settings, the card seems to work great! (i don't have any other game experience to judge by, though - only TM) i run TM at 800x600 and get up to 35+ FPS, i think.
i too have 2x AGP (PII-333), so i have to keep the AGP aperature size (in computer's BIOS) at 16MB otherwise TM locks up after a minute or two, even though i have 96MB of system memory.
other TNT-2 cards should also be around $100 or less by now... try www.sg3d.com
good luck! and you'll be glad you upgraded, believe me!

IP:

wmacris
posted March 15, 2000 11:09 AM         
My IBM PC has a funky AGP expansion connector - there is a half slot opening so that only the top part of the card is exposed. I found this out the hard way when I borrowed my work FireGL 1000 - luckily I could take off the card's mounting bracket to make it fit. I've seen that some cards have the video connector so close to the motherboard that I won't be able to use them (no hole in chassis). What a pain.

On my PII/350, the FireGL 1000 Pro with 8MB RAM gives 10-25 fps at 640x480 with all settings to the min. Not very exciting at all, but it's better than software.

IP:

peeet
posted March 15, 2000 11:40 AM         
i bet it's better than software! (TM is so great, though, i was hooked from the start, playing software only for months )
LDA also suggested using an older TNT based card, and that woiuld also give great gameplay... i think tht the older TNT cards were PCI? you might want to look in the older TM posts questioning video cards...

IP:

wmacris
posted March 16, 2000 03:24 PM         
Last night I tried the Diamond V770 - wow! It's just a "little" faster than the FireGL. 640x480 went to 95 fps! And it's working very well with decent quality at 800x600. I will continue to borrow that card as long as work will let me hang on to it! Nothing like free 3D!

[This message has been edited by wmacris (edited March 16, 2000).]

IP:

peeet
posted March 16, 2000 06:05 PM         
good deal! you'll find that you can actually AIM now!

good thing about V770- a few months ago a friend o mine got one for ~$110 US. probably cheaper now...

IP: