This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Those dern launch coord's
Dudymas
posted March 10, 2000 10:27 PM            
Okay, I'll admit it, I am befuttled with those things LDA calls "weapon launch coordinates" in the weapon entity files. I can't get spewer entities to launch projectiles correctly either. Why do they have to make this so difficult? Oh well. Does anyone know how to make the projection work in projectiles, or do we all need help?

mainly, I'm having trouble getting the spewmin and spewmax configurations in the spew entities.

------------------
Dudymas: The Other White Meat

[This message has been edited by Dudymas (edited March 11, 2000).]

IP:

Dudymas
posted March 25, 2000 11:03 PM            
I don't mean to sound stuck up or feeling sorry for myself (I really hate that), but i would expect someone to answer my questions. If no one has the time i can understand, and since i'm a little late in really getting into TM, I could see why no one wants to spend time helping me, but this is really all i ask right now... give or take a little. Thanks. :P

IP:

anonymous
posted March 26, 2000 12:05 AM         
i understand your frustration, dudymas, but please give LDA a break... Seumas, their sole programmer and beloved son and brother recently passed away and the family has alot to deal with right now.

try random chaos' site: http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com/
for the time being.

peace.

[This message has been edited by anonymous (edited March 26, 2000).]

IP:

Dudymas
posted March 26, 2000 10:09 AM            
really, i wasn't wanting to bother LDA, i was nagging at rc. Not that i don't know rc has to get that server up and buy a new jaz drive if he can't fix it. I just happened to have this up a long time... and forgive that message since i wasn't in an impatient like mood last night. I will figure this out on my own though... and post the answer for anyone who also wants to know. I was asking rc this a long time ago and thought he would have his game working by now to reassure me of his answers he gave. Once again, i was impatient because... as Michael Welch could agree upon the storm i believe... my father forced me to help him plant a birch tree in our yard in a horrific thunderstorm even though the tree weighed over one thousand pounds. That was fun though.

------------------

IP:

IndiQa
posted March 29, 2000 05:42 PM            
Well a lot of us are new to TM (hand raised here) and from what I have seen and met of the online community, support for each other and our hosts (LDA) is strong.

I don't think anyone will argue that help just needs to be asked for and it will be given. Just be patient.

IndiQa

IP:

Dudymas
posted March 29, 2000 09:04 PM            
Your reassurance is well welcome. I am always one of those silly impatient fools every now and then. Thankyou again.

------------------

IP:

Kaeto
posted April 01, 2000 10:38 PM            
Dudymas, I will try to post the answer to your question tommorow. It will take me a while to write it out legibly

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 02, 2000 03:24 PM            
Heh, that doesn't sound very good.

IP:

Kaeto
posted April 02, 2000 04:29 PM            
Sorry, I've been really busy 2day, but I will try hard to do it for monday... It's not that hard, I just reek at explaining things to someone I'm not looking at :P

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 02, 2000 04:42 PM            
Too bad, you must send an answer by today or hawk shall asassinate you. (back me up on this hawk).

IP:

Hawk
posted April 02, 2000 05:34 PM            
Hmm? Assassinate Kae--oh, yeah, right, right, that

IP:

Kaeto
posted April 02, 2000 08:54 PM            
Bring it on!!!!!!
Ok, for the spewers, the spewmin and spewmax are vectors... let me give a few examples...

spewmin = -2, 20, -2
spewmax = 2, 20, 2

this would make a projectile that shoots almost straight up (20) with a little variance to either side, while this :

spewmin = -10, -1, -10
spewmax = 10, 1, 10

makes the spewed items fly out mostly sideways... try making that that shoots RC's plasma pulser shots... it's great!

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 02, 2000 09:32 PM            
Cool, i think i got it. i'll tell my results

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 02, 2000 10:01 PM            
Well, i got problem one: i mixed up spew min and max, i had the highest values on min and the minimum on max, but i have another that is still not fixed. They all fire in one direction so that if i fire them to the north, they north, but if i fire them to the south, they still go north. How do i set the spewer in motion, if i could do that, then i could get some progress. I just need the launch platform moving, in this case the spewer, and then i can set the launch enertia so that the spewed projectiles move in that direction too. If you could help me on this on, i would be incredably grateful.

IP:

Kaeto
posted April 02, 2000 11:10 PM            
I don't think you can fix that...

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 03, 2000 04:39 PM            
I'll definately have to see if LDA could put more editing options on this, but as of now, i already have my hands full on other ideas so i wont really need it now. Thank you for your answer and honesty.

------------------

IP:

VIO
posted April 05, 2000 06:23 PM            
Um, thanks first of all to Kaeto for giving an example of the vector based coordinate system. I have a follow up question though.

If I give coordinates to a newly created projectile that is spawned from another entity... are these coordinates relative to the Creating Entity that spawned it ? or are they relative to the orientation of my Tank Turret ? or are they relative to the global world coordinates ?

If there is a way to specify which relative system you want to use .. what might it be ?
Im not having much luck figuring this part out with trial and error.

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 05, 2000 08:24 PM            
Here is what i know:

1. There is no way known to player (maybe known to the LDA) to specify what is going to relate to a spawning points positioning.

2.Most spawningingings variables are affected by their launch platform. In other words, your turret is positioned according to your tanks position, the weapons are positioned according to your turrets position, a projectiles launch position and angle are according to the weapons position, the spewers and other explosions are positioned according to where the projectile lies when it detonates, the spewed projectiles and explosion's smoke and fire are positioned according to the spewers and explosion centers, and I hope you don't have to have me type this again.

3.I need a bath soon

4.correction, Very soon

5.The launch angle on the spewers is according to the world because (please add grumbles and growls to the following as you read it because i'm upset although i shouldn't complain and won't) the spewers weren't programmed to have a direction of movement to base their spewed counterpart's direction upon when they appear.

6. No i won't tell you more until you specify more about your troubles and drop a quarter in the slot and rub my tummy.

7.I'm going to give a pop quiz: Without looking again on all the above you should have just read, tell me how mny times the word position is mentioned for a doggy treat (yumm yum) and a good peet... er pat on the back.

Chow now... and be careful to stick together and watch out for the killer cars.

------------------

IP:

VIO
posted April 05, 2000 11:54 PM            
ROTFLM <butt> Off
Dudymas, you are too much !!

1) Thank you very much for that insight.
2) The spewer thing explains my headache.
3) I have now modified 4 nice weapons with your help and of course from Kaeto and RandomChaos. (you guys Rule !!)

Gonna miss ya Kaeto while you are gone.

4) Looks like Im out of TM for a while
MY CD just got broke somehow by my new CD-ROM. Please no one offer to assist me. I have the highest respect for LDA and if need be <sigh> will re-purchase the CD. I have already established a line of communication with LDA with hopes that they might be able to assist me. But, I will absolutely have to respectfully refuse any offers of copies of the CD except from official LDA approved sources.

(geesh.. Im just too honorable I guess.)

Thanks again Dudymas.

(I apologize if this post seems inappropriate. I will not do such a personal post again if it bothers everyone.)

Sincerely,
VIO.

[This message has been edited by VIO (edited April 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by VIO (edited April 06, 2000).]

IP:

LDA Jim
Administrator
posted April 06, 2000 08:52 AM            
Thanks everyone, for helping out in these terrible times...much appreciated.

Unfortunately, we've had a few cracked dics...It looks like a manufacturing defect.

It seems that some of the CDs aren't standing up, especially with the newer, faster drives, which tend to heat up a lot.

If you have the room, install the music....the drive won't need to be so active.

There's not much that we can do about this now, other than replace any broken discs.

VIO, Send me an email with your order details and we'll look after replacing your disc.

We're still just getting back on our feet, so your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Jim

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 06, 2000 03:00 PM            
I've found that i can play multiplayer without the disk and then when i try to play single i always need it. Is this just me or does everyone have this same interesting tid-bit. Oh, and i guess i'll be missing kaeto... maybe a little. Heh, i can't fool anyone i will definitely miss almost anyone in their abscence (i can't steal their ideas and frame them and other mean stuff).

------------------

IP:

VIO
posted April 06, 2000 06:50 PM            
Wow !! Thank you very much for your most generous assistance. I have never seen such quick response from a software company before. Im totally floored. Thank you once again.

LDA has just won my life time support. When LDA makes another game.. Im buying it hands down without a second thought.

VIO,

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 09, 2000 06:59 PM            
Here Hear!!!!

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 09, 2000 07:29 PM            
OOOOh OOOh, i figured it out, i figured it out. I can hardy contain my lazy conceited self (XOXOXOXOXO). And better yet, One thing i figured out can't help me one bit. Anyhooo, I found out what makes projectiles fly in streams in one direction without any variance. You must have the spewed projectile moving at a good speed (higher than 3 mps) otherwise it will, um, just go along with its counter parts and its buddies and its chums and its pals and stuff for each iteration that the spewer undergoes. Also, the thing that doesn't help much, the direction that the spewer spews its projectiles is affected by your tanks direction and stuff. In udder woids (pun), if you dwive your wittle tank backwoids, the spewuhs are gonnah follow yah. And if yah dwive your wee wittle tank foiwoids, da spewah is gonna spew its wittle heart out in the same diwection you go. Yes, it's just that simple.

------------------

IP:

Dudymas
posted April 09, 2000 07:31 PM            
I ullmust fer-dot, CHEERS to my Discovereee

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2