|
Author Topic:   LUV Template Creation
peeet
posted February 08, 2000 02:10 PM         
i know that LDA is working on making their UVwrapper available sometime (soon?), but i'm just too impatient to wait!

i have looked high and low for a freeware or shareware UV wrapper to create a bitmap and .luv file for custom tank meshes, and can't find one that does Lightwave mesh/UV (Lightwave file format required

i did find a UVmapper that creates/saves a bitmap template for Wavefront meshes, but it does not create an equivalent ".luv" file (i guess that Wavefront incorporates the texture mapping info. in the mesh file, because i can import a wavefront mesh/UV into another program i found and apply the bitmap texture correctly).

so, right now i can create a custom mesh and save it in Lightwave format (.lwo), but i can't create the .luv file or UVmap for it. i could alternatively save the mesh in Wavefront format (.obj), and create a UVmap for it, but i can't convert it to Lightwave for TreadMarks.

does anyone know of freeware or shareware software that can create UVmaps for Lightwave mesh? or how about a freeware or shareware program that converts Wavefront mesh and texture bitmap to Lightwave format?

-or-
does anyone use commercial/other software that would be willing to help create the necessary texture files for me if i provided the custom mesh?

IP:

Blacktooth
posted February 08, 2000 10:28 PM         
Ack.. and I thought I loved this game. Peeet bud, easy... there are other things in this world than TM.
What the hell is a UVmap anyway? Sounds like something NASA would bring back with them from a shuttle flight.(well it does, doesn't it?!) Maybe I should read the ingredients to a game before participating in it. Drats... It's not open-source... foiled again! UVs are not supposed to be good things. I do know that.

IP:

peeet
posted February 09, 2000 11:33 AM         
LOL !
i like TM alot and love 3D modeling. i thought i might be able to (relatively) quickly create a custom tank to practice 3D... (no experience yet with meshes - only raytracing)
i'm also currently modeling our remodeling ideas for our house so we can get a virtual view of our "new" home, so practice helps! at least that's what i tell my wife...

IP:

Sehnsucht
posted February 11, 2000 09:33 PM            
Make a house-tank!

IP:

peeet
posted February 13, 2000 12:37 AM         

look out! - it's peeet's house on a rampage!

IP:

Jason
posted February 25, 2000 02:54 AM            
hey peeet, my school robotics team got a copy of 3d studio max r3 which can do that kind of stuff. only problem is that i don't know the slightest bit about UV mapping. I took one look at the uvw unwrap modifier that comes with max and gave up... but i might be able to take another look at it. unfortunately i don't get to spend much time at robotics... but maybe i can hack something.

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted February 25, 2000 02:34 PM            
I talked to LDA the other day. They do not have any idea when the LUV tool, the Maping tool, or the IMG tool will be released. Personally I hope its sooner than latter, but they seem to be very busy - not quite sure what with though.

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Hawk
posted February 26, 2000 07:15 AM            
Yeah, our school's FIRST team got a copy of
3D Studio Max R3 too...I guess it's standard issue to all the teams. We also have back copies of 3D Studio (R2 and back) from previous years...If I could just get my hands on a copy! =)

IP:

LDA Jim
Administrator
posted March 04, 2000 12:42 PM            
Delays:

Unfortunately, Seumas has been very ill, and has done very little work since Christmas.

Project time frames are all in a jumble

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted March 05, 2000 12:30 PM            
Under a similar note, I have been unable to get my site updated due to intence levels of school work. The next two weeks I finally have a decent sized break from work, so expect to see some updates there soon, including the Files section back up using an FTP server.

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP: