|
Author Topic:   video card recommendation
SHARP
posted February 05, 2000 11:52 PM            
hey... anyone out there recommend a card better than TNT 16 meg. Dont wanna spend much more money on a better card.

are "ATI Rage Fury" cards any good.
Only if they have as much compatibility.

please msg me... thnx

[This message has been edited by SHARP (edited February 05, 2000).]

IP:

Matt Burris
posted February 06, 2000 02:15 AM            
Any GeForce 256 card runs excellently with Treadmarks. I can have every single setting to the max at 1024x768 with very fluid gameplay. It's really pretty. Come by www.3dgpu.com and check out the stuff we post about the GeForce cards. I post reviews on them nearly daily.

IP:

Blacktooth
posted February 06, 2000 09:35 PM         
TNT2s work excellently as well. I have a Creative TNT2Ultra at default clockspeed, Cel450, 192MB RAM, A3D 2.0 soundcard and keep at 800x600 with everything maxxed. Only time I ever saw slowdowns was on RCs Hell server after many (I mean many) matter bombs exploded filling the lands with fog. Ive tried at 1024x768 and it runs smooth as well. I prefer 800x600 on my puny 15" mon though :-( Text gets awfully small at 1024 on 15"ers

IP:

SHARP
posted February 08, 2000 11:47 PM            
thanx for the replys, ill be getting a
RIVA TNT2 M64 card. Is that card any good ??
here it costs approx: $200 but NZ money is double USA money. I was told it was the better TNT2 with better performance.

[This message has been edited by SHARP (edited February 08, 2000).]

IP:

Blacktooth
posted February 09, 2000 08:12 PM         
That should do you fine. Geforce's are very nice but also rather expensive ($250-$300 US). I see my UltraTNT2 card lasting probly another year (Q3A flies on it with all features on) before it's unbearably slow. My original voodoo1 lasted me... well lets put it this way. I bought it for $250US when GLquake came out, and upgraded to this UltraTNT2 (a 4MB card compared to a 32MB card). BIG difference! I love it. (very compatible too)

IP:

peeet
posted February 09, 2000 10:50 PM         
i don't know if you would even be able to tell the difference, but the TNT2 M64 is a chip that's "based on the RIVA TNT2 core, this chip's 64-bit memory interface provides a cost-effective frame buffer solution for mainstream desktops." whatever that means. you can research this more at: http://www.nvidia.com/Products.nsf/htmlmedia/riva_tnt2.html
(click on the "chip specification matrix" link)

fyi - i just purchased a Leadtech TNT2 card (plain old TNT2, not M64 or ultra) for $95 US from sunway graphics (www.sunway.com i think), and a friend just got a diamond viper v770 TNT2 for just over $100 US (i dont know from where), so sounds like for the same amount of money you could get a "better" TNT2 card than the TNT2-M64...

IP:

NightQwerty
posted February 10, 2000 04:37 PM            
Hey, according to me, the TNT2 Viper V770 Ultra is just the bomb! It runs so well, and it's compatible with everything up to the point of not having my comp crash more than once a month. mmmmmmm.

------------------
NightQwerty

IP: