|
Author Topic:   New Tank Available:
Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 26, 2000 02:14 AM            
(TC)Temporalisis and myself have just finished the first available add-on tank for Tread Marks.

This tank is named the Black Widow and has a screen shot online.
It can be downloaded here.

We will be puting out other spider based tanks and angular weaponry over then next few months.

I will mention a word of warning after installing this new tank - DO NOT CHOOSE it before connecting to a server - switch to the tank afterwards. If the server does not support this tank, it will cause problems.

Also, a note for server admins: if the clients do not have this mesh that is included, they will see a square mesh instead.

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (TC) (edited January 26, 2000).]

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 26, 2000 10:36 AM            
Let me clarify what I was saying about not choosing it before connecting to a server:

Here is the order of events to follow:
1: Pick a standard LDA tank when connecting to a server.
2: The server will update your list of available tanks once connected.
3: From that new list choose a tank that the server supports.

What happens if you choose a tank the server doesn't support before connecting:
1: You will keep a blank screen after "Map Loaded" and not go any further.
2: You will have created a new AI tank on taht server that cannot move or shoot since no one controls it.

How to connect to the Demo Servers:
(TM tells you under the Info line after clicking on the server what version the server is running)
1: Use one of the following tanks:
- Liquid Falcon
- Nemesis
- Dreadnought
If you use those tanks, you will connect to any demo server without problems.

What a tank looks like if the client doesn't have it:
1: Doesn't have the Mesh: It "should" look like a cube (I have yet to see this tested).
2: Doesn't have the Texture: It "should" be white (again, I haven't seen this tested).
3: Both - you get a white cube - which, if the server has the new tank in the above post will be what clients will see that haven't downloaded the files.

-----------

TO: LDA
Please add both an AltTexture and AltMesh feild to entities - I could have made this tank have an AltMesh of a "Liquid Evil!" if the client didn't have the mesh - and it would look better and be easier to target than a cube runing in circles! And if you don't add the AltTexture, it would be just as usefull if instead of not applying a texture to apply the "Image Not Available" texture named ImageNotAvailable.bmp! At least then the client would know they need to download the file...

Personally I feel a AltMesh is more important than an AltTexture command since a white object is still seen, but a no-mesh object defaults to a cube - and a cube tank seems odd...it would also be useful for custom ExploSphere ents so that you don't get this exploding cube if they don't have the mesh (as in Kenny's Armageddon Bomb which has custom meshes and textures).

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (TC) (edited January 26, 2000).]

IP: