|
Author Topic:   Tank skins?
Warthog
posted January 20, 2000 11:46 PM            
Anyone know where to get more tank skins?

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 20, 2000 11:52 PM            
Well, since the game is under a week old, there aren't any yet...

But when there are some, I will be having a section on my web site for them.

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
neym@rpi.edu

IP:

Hawk
posted January 21, 2000 10:06 AM            
You may not be able to get them, but you can make them with a prog like PhotoDeluxe by reducing the skin to Grey Scale and then using the Coloring Book to layer colors on over it. That's what I did with my build of the Temp Chaos flag, I took the radialbluelightning texture, greyscaled it, and layered over it with green, then made the layer partially transparent. So skins SHOULD be fairly easy to make...and I'm assuming that you can make them like that. So I'm gonna go try.

Later,
(TC)Blackhawk

IP:

Hawk
posted January 21, 2000 10:47 AM            
Yep! I just made myself a working Jungle Camouflage Nemesis mod with a gold hawk (helmet logo from Battlestar Galactica..thanks for the font RC!) on the top of the turret. It took all of five minutes. For a good skin, it'll prolly take around half an hour...but it is very possible to make one!

IP:

Hawk
posted January 21, 2000 10:48 AM            
Heh...'Jungle Camouflage Nemesis'...sounds like a name for one of those dingy 'modified' action figures that stupid toy companies come out with to try and keep a movie toy line going...'Jungle Armor Batman' hehe

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 21, 2000 12:03 PM            
Ok...this means I now HAVE to get that skin page up...AHRG! More stuff to do!

Well...anyway, expect to see it either Sunday or there after.

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
neym@rpi.edu

IP:

peeet
posted January 21, 2000 12:34 PM         
ok - we all love the idea of custom skins, but i'm still unclear on how we should be able to see each other's!

so, for example, take Hawk's skin. in order for me to see it, i would have to DL the bitmap and replace the default skin for the nemesis tank, right? but that would mean that every nemesis tank would have that skin...

should we instead (and this would only work in the full version - right?) create a new tank model, call it Hawk_Nemesis, copy the nemesis tank files to that tank name, including Hawk's new skin? BUT that would mean that if someone doesn't have the Hawk_Nemesis tank set up, there would be an invisible tank running around for them, right? (good for Hawk, though!)

am i right? is there another/better way to do it? i'd really like to see Hawk (and ONLY Hawk's tank) in his new skin before i give him a NEW paintjob with the Heavy Flamer!!!

IP:

peeet
posted January 21, 2000 12:35 PM         
i know these topics are getting really spread around - sorry, but i just wanted to respond/ask when the issue was brought up and i thought about it...

IP:

Hawk
posted January 21, 2000 01:07 PM            
Well, I tried to put the new tank on the list, but it removed both Nemesis Mk. 1 and the Nemesis Mk. 2 'Blackhawk'....Odd, but it did.

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 21, 2000 01:23 PM            
You can also create a new entity (would have to be server side) that uses the new tank skin with original mesh - and thats why the game needs an AltTexture property for those that don't have the special skin...

IP:

peeet
posted January 21, 2000 04:09 PM         
ok, so for example, the server would have to have Hawk's new tank entity (modeled with the Nemesis mesh(es) and Hawk's new skin).

hawk would also have to have that same new tank entity (and associated files), saved on his machine, and he would be able to use that tank as one of the tanks offered in the game menu.

now, if the game had an AltTexture property available, others (who do not have that new tank entity and associated files saved on their local machines) would still be able to see Hawk's tank, because it is based on an existing tank mesh? (and others would see his tank with the AltTexture skin)

and, if other players had that new tank entity and associated files, including Hawk's skin, saved on their local machines, they would see all as it should be...

?

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 21, 2000 04:26 PM            
Thats what I want...so LDA, you need to add an AltTexture command line to the Entity files so that if the Client doens't have the texture that the server is using, it can have a properly displayed default texture....

Please add that (and an AltMesh) to an update - otherwise moded tanks and tank will be less common...if they look terrible on the client systems...

IP:

peeet
posted January 21, 2000 06:01 PM         
thanks, RC...

i wonder, though, how we can get around this problem now... especially if we set up a battle ahead of time. i guess we have to create our custom demo/skins and then share them between the players that plan on attending that match.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 23, 2000 05:04 PM           
The correct way to add tank skins is to make a new tank entity that uses the old mesh and the new skin bitmap. Note that you need to change the "name" AND the "type" in the new entity for it to show up in addition to the original tank. If the class/type pair is the same as before it will override the original tank.

With the full version, if someone is driving a tank entity that the server has, which references an normal model file and a new skin file, players who don't have the skin will probably see a normal tank driving around with an all-white texture.

The AltTexture idea is good, and I'll see about adding it.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

kenny
posted January 23, 2000 07:27 PM            
wait, wait, wait, cant you implement a altmesh too?

IP: