|
Author Topic:   Am I missing something about this game?
armani
posted January 20, 2000 11:14 PM            
Well, I got my copy of Tread Marks today... I think I'm missing something, because I'm not enjoying it half as much as other people. In fact, I've already uninstalled it to make space for my other games...

Can you even move your turret upwards or downwards? Is there any way to switch between weapons? What's up with all of these random nuclear missles, cruise missiles, and weapons that.. well if you know how to press the fire button, you'll probably get a kill. Interesting explosions send the tank spinning and flying in some of the strangest physics I've ever seen.

I admit, some graphics and effects are nice... but even at that, the other 95% of the game seems both overdone and wishy washy at the same time.. with overabundance of "dazzling" effects, colors.. making everything look ugly and silly.

I haven't noticed any significant skill factor needed in playing this game, either. Well, maybe the skill is needed in the game to.. well, I still can't think of anything. Maybe in finding the weapon and finding your fire button.

I'd love to enjoy the game.. so correct me, if I'm wrong.

IP:

Warthog
posted January 20, 2000 11:36 PM            
I'll admit at fist I did not see the strategy involved either....until I played online for the first time and got absolutely regulated. Give yourself time to get oriented with the game and you will quickly see how addicting it becomes. Those random nukes are in the armageddon map, most maps however do not have random assortments of chaos blasting you left and right. Practice on the DM maps first with the AI tanks set to 0% so you can get a feel for the different weapons and their respective ranges. When I first started, 90% of my kills came from point blank, but as I got used to the weapons that distance steadily increased.
As for the physics they can be....odd at times especially when your tank lands on one of it's sides or on top.
Keep playing and I'm sure you will begin to enjoy it.

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 20, 2000 11:57 PM            
I'd say that you just haven't given it a chance...play it for a week or so, then decide whether you like it...and make sure most of that playing is online. Its a very addictive game - and very fun...but it is also quite different from other DM games so you just can't compare it to them...

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
neym@rpi.edu

IP:

Angryviking
posted January 20, 2000 11:57 PM            
Well said Warthog, I had the same feelings in the beginning....then the game took hold of me.

------------------
Dodge this...

IP:

kenny
posted January 21, 2000 12:25 AM            
"I haven't noticed any significant skill factor needed in playing this game, either. Well, maybe the skill is needed in the game to..
well, I still can't think of anything. Maybe in finding the weapon and finding your fire button."

i personaly love that game just for this aspect just cause i dont want to think about anything...its just run and shoot(hell, its better then soap operas...look at it that way eh?)

IP:

Draco
posted January 22, 2000 02:06 PM            
quote:

Am I missing something about this game?

Yes, you are. Now go bye bye.

------------------
Draco
Map Artist for Alien Invasion
Forum Admin for Alien Invasion Forum
Je suis un homme. Je ne suis rien davantage. Traitez-moi en tant que tels.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 23, 2000 04:52 PM           
Armani,

If you find the game too easy, try turning up the AI Skill setting to 100%. It defaults to 0%, but even then, we seem to get more complaints that the game is too hard.

Have you tried the Ladder mode yet? It is the primary Single Player game play mode.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

kenny
posted January 23, 2000 07:31 PM            
GOSH DANG 100% is tough on my settings. i got a airstrike that shoots off 600 bombs in 30 seconds and a mini nuke and a mini nuke pack(giant MRL launcher with mini nukes(10 of them)) and my mega nuke. lets just say that you are luck if you survive the respawn on skill 100%. oh i also play with a minimum of 20 tanks too

IP: