|
Author Topic:   How Customization works... ?
LoudBob
posted January 20, 2000 04:52 PM            
When a player joins a modified server do the changes get made/downloaded when he/she joins the server? I noticed in the demo that when I play with my customized, personalized flag do the other players have the option of downloading my files so they can share the wealth? It's kind of pointless to be able to personalize your tank if no one can see that you're tank is any different from the rest of 'em.

Best Regards,

------------------
George 'Loud-Bob[GP]' Murray
loud-bob@greenpanthers.com
Member, The Green Panthers

IP:

TAThos
posted January 20, 2000 05:13 PM         
On a more specific note, what if I want to modify most, if not all, the weapons and I put the modified weapons in the AddOns directory? Will they override the existing weapons or do I have to change their weights to 0?

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 20, 2000 06:58 PM           
Auto-downloading of actual art/model/sound/map assets isn't currently supported, mainly because most of them are so large (512k for a tank skin, 1 meg for a map) that it would take a long time to download for modem players. And even then, the server would need to have the files first to be able to send it to players.

The best way to deal with customized skins (which to avoid overwriting other people's files, should be attached to an additional new tank entity) and new maps will be to create specific Map/Skin Packs, which can be hosted on specific internet servers and made available for people to download before playing the game.

If you put modified copies of entities in the AddOns folder, they should override the original entities automatically, as long as they have the same type/class name as the original still.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 20, 2000 11:54 PM            
I still say that Map downloading should be able to be done! Thats what makes the game much more expandable!

IP:

kenny
posted January 21, 2000 12:27 AM            
yes i agree with TC. mods should be a seporate download(for the models and such) but you should be able to download the maps like in HL. actualy HL maps vary in size from 1.5-3.0 MB and we wait for the download if the map sounds cool(know what i am saying?)

IP:

peeet
posted January 21, 2000 09:43 AM         
i don't know - maybe each server should have a details page like was suggested before, with maybe a screenshot and explanation of mods/maps and where to download them from - that way, one doesn't have to keep TM running while the stuff downloads.

on the other hand, a 1-meg map file wouldn't take that long to dowlnoad, and it would be nice to be able to hit a button and have all the correct mods/maps installed correctly.

ok - i've convinced myself! - i think we should have the option of letting the program get the stuff!

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 21, 2000 12:05 PM            
I'm sure everyone that has dl'ed the 22MB demo on a modem can say that 1MB is fast in comparison!

IP:

peeet
posted January 21, 2000 12:39 PM         
for sure!

also, if the game downloads the stuff automatically, can't TM be programmed to compress the files before transfer and then automatically uncompress and install?

compression of bitmaps really reduces the file size!

IP:

kenny
posted January 21, 2000 06:04 PM            
yeah zip compression is easy to implement and it like compresses the .ved files down from like 1.1MB to .4MB

that would be a fast download even on a 56k...liek 2 mins max

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 21, 2000 10:45 PM            
Still not fast over 24000...

I am one of those people who will go to college just for the fast 'net access...

IP: