|
Author Topic:   Um, I've been wondering...
NightQwerty
posted January 18, 2000 09:15 PM            
Is your engine voxel-based or do you just have a ton of polygons?

------------------
NightQwerty

IP:

Sehnsucht_at_Work
posted January 19, 2000 07:25 PM            
I think it's a big 2d grid, with each position in the grid being a height value, and the details are interpolated between grid points, which is where the triangle detail setting thingy comes in (1K to 10K triangles thing) ..

But I'm just pulling this outta my ass, I could be wrong.

IP:

Meister
posted January 20, 2000 08:21 AM         
Well, should let the man answer that one.. but its not voxel based (ala Delta Force) cause your 3d cards wouldnt accelerate it if it was. Just a very nice polygon based engine. Polgon engines are based on triangles--more triangles, more detail, thus the option. However I will stand corrected...

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 20, 2000 10:24 AM            
What a "voxel" as they are commonly called (though incorrectly) is : a voxel is simply an evenly spaced height field... TM is this kind of voxel engine... The TM renderer renders the voxels as triangles... If you want more info, look in the programming forum...

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 20, 2000 02:27 PM           
This is an interesting question since the Tread Marks engine started out as a "software voxel" engine, inspired by NovaLogic's games. The underlying representation of the map (e.g. a regular grid of heights) is the same as back then, but with a different rendering engine, which uses OpenGL and triangles. The number of triangles used can be set in the options; the engine gets away with using less triangles by rendering smooth areas of terrain with fewer polygons.

If the height field grid was treated purely as maximum detail triangles (e.g. if each "voxel" square was represented by 2 triangles) it would be 2,097,152 triangles.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP: