|
Author Topic:   what the hell
TINTIFAX
posted January 18, 2000 06:34 PM            
ok i drive around in 3rd person i can move the turret, but HOW can i aim is there some ego perspective, or aiming
graphics rule, but how to play?
it was impossible for me to hit someone...

IP:

Warthog
posted January 18, 2000 07:31 PM            
I know...it sucks doesn't it. Hopefully they will add vertical aiming in a future patch. It makes me want to shoot myself in the foot for buying the game...oh wait I forgot I can't aim down.

IP:

Cell
posted January 18, 2000 07:43 PM         

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited March 02, 2002).]

IP:

NightQwerty
posted January 18, 2000 09:20 PM            
It really requires more skill than if you have vertical aiming. It also eliminates people sitting around taking pot-shots at each other, which is boring.

------------------
NightQwerty

IP:

LDA Jim
Administrator
posted January 18, 2000 10:35 PM            
Each weapon is designed to work best, depending on how it’s used.

The main gun is designed to be more of a close in finishing weapon.

For example:

MRL ...race towards someone, unload when the range is right, and unless they’re doing some serious running, you should at least do some crippling damage. You can safely empty your MRL ‘cause when you get in close you can finish them with your main gun.

Dirt Ball ...It’s slow to reload, but if you get a direct hit on someone you’ll send them flying. By the time they land and get turned right-side-up you’ve reloaded. Three hits in a row and they’re dead. If you run out, finish ‘em with the main gun.

Wasps ...Nice guidance, but you have to be far enough back to allow the mass of rockets to focus in on the target ...unload....then wade in or run for another weapon.

Cruise ...fire and forget... those hanging onto weapons and campers beware

NUKE ...doh!

Shadow Keeper ...move in fairly close and zap them from over the crest of a hill.

Drill ....one touch and they’re dead, so charge from behind cover so they won’t have time to run.

Etc.

Try to keep your main gun full as a reserve and finishing weapon ...when out of all ammo do a quick bluff then run or just run.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 18, 2000 11:58 PM            
If you want some tips on some weapons (sorry, the page is still very much incomplete, need to finish it soon) take a look at http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com/info/weapons.shtml

Also, for discussions of game strats, see http://boards.eesite.com/board.cgi?boardset=tmrctds

------------------
Random Chaos
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
neym@rpi.edu

IP:

Yupa
posted January 19, 2000 01:10 AM         
hehe. Sorry I didn't see this message. I second or third the motion to add an option for vertical aiming! There IS some skill involved with aiming up, and pot shots?? Boring?? What's boring is trying to aim your retarded turret that can only rotate but not elevate! NO WAR ENGINE that I know of in REAL LIFE aims only horizontally! No Battleship, no turret emplacement, no howitzer, NO modern tank!! In fact the heaviest tanks or tank killers had a FIXED gun, and even had an ELEVATOR so it could aim up!!!! This is a retarded argument, and I wish you guys would just see that vertical aiming is ESSENTIAL for this game to go anywhere, especially with the general public... I mean a lot of people will buy this game thinking it's all that and find out it sux cuz you can't aim it properly. I'm serious. This is a big mistake.

You might ask why is this butthead arguing and arguing and arguing?? Why doesn't he just give it a rest and go away?? That's cuz I really LOVE this game and see how it can really kick some major butt!! It's just going in the wrong direction in control!!!! It's such a heartache to see such a visual masterpiece go to pot because a few players can't handle the vertical aiming element!!! It's like disabling jump and crouch in quake, because players can't handle the vertical motion! GET REAL!!

IP:

hunter64
posted January 19, 2000 10:38 AM            
Yes you hit the mark Yuppa. This game is good but it would be great if it had verticle aiming. As far as it becoming boring when people take pot shots believe me there is always a counter move to every move. A perfect example is Recoil, it has verticle turret movement and the turret moves very fast so you can target quickly it even has a targeting image so all you do is point and click, but you know what? if you try to sit and take pot shots at people other people will waste you, basically you have to move constantly or someone will blast you. Which is exactly how you guys describe this game. Another issue that you guys don't address is what type of latency, or lag time does this game have online, every game I ever played online has it, especially games like this one that have textures and high graphics. I think it will be very frustrating when you struggle to shoot someone to only find out that you are shooting a latent image. It is a saving grace that there are devasting weapons in the game because you can just drop a nuke and you only need to be close to kill them. Of course this doesnt require much skill or tactics the only thing you need to do is learn how to drive the tank well enough to get to the spawning point and pickup a nuke. I think if you guys have some artistic freedom you may want to re-think the verticle turret function. At least add it as an option, then make it so that online games can have that option turned on or off, leaving it up to the game host. I dont think it is an unreasonable request because I think you can satisfy more people with the option. Take a count guys this game is becomming popular but many gamers are getting turned off simply because the turret wont move vertically, Add the feature because it wont take away anything from the game. come on dont be stuborn, give us what we want and we will buy buy buy. I have been playing Recoil since it came out and this game is the only thing that comes close, but it could be better than Recoil if the turret would move up and down. The graphics are better the sound is better the maps are better christ everything is as good as if not better than Recoil, but the lack of a turret that moves vertically will prevent me from ever buying this game. Get with it.

IP:

TAThos
posted January 19, 2000 03:37 PM         
Verticle aiming would slow the game down. I really don't know why you are fighting for it, I've hit a tank three hills away with the pea shooter.

Against your arguement, the only weapon in the game that would allow verticle aiming is the pea shooter. All other weapons are attached to the hull or to the turret.

As for "real" weapon systems, they usually have a crew of three or more. Unless you also want to change the game so there is a driver and gunner, I don't see how verticle aiming is going to add anything except frustration.

IP:

Sehnsucht_at_Work
posted January 19, 2000 07:35 PM            
TAThos, that's almost the exact reason LDA Seumus (I think) stated like a month ago to not have vertical aiming back when the issue first came up - how do you apply the vertical aiming to bolt-on weapons anyways? And secondly, it wouldn't be as much fun.

I'm nowhere near as deadly as RC, but if you see me coming straight at you you better run like hell, cause you can be pretty sure that even if I have only the main gun, you're gonna be hurting!

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 19, 2000 07:53 PM            
We already have been here...
TM is not a simulation...
Vert-aiming would make TM an ease fest for people like RC and I... You would die b4 you knew what happened... trust me

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 20, 2000 07:35 PM           
The Networking section in the Manual explains lag. Due to the way both your tank and the enemy tanks are predicted, you should be able to aim as you would aim without lag and hit your intended target, even though the projectiles and explosions will appear lagged.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

hunter64
posted January 21, 2000 10:52 AM            
Thanks for explaining lag.

IP: