|
Author Topic:   Linux Server?
C0derX
posted January 18, 2000 11:28 AM            
Any chances for a Linux Server in the Future?

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 18, 2000 08:33 PM           
It's a possibility. Right now we seem to have enough Win32 servers for the number of players on-line though, so it's not as pressing a concern.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 19, 2000 12:27 AM            
Yeah, but Win servers have to be rebooted often! My system only lasts at most 5 days between reboots - and sometimes under 24 hours!

IP:

FishGills[GP]
posted January 19, 2000 04:13 AM            
I have to agree with RC. I know people hate it when games are compared but Quake/Quake 2/Half-Life all really took off once there was a linux server.

IP:

TAThos
posted January 19, 2000 03:26 PM         
A linux server would be cool for long-running games but I'd just like to be able to remotely administer the server (restart maps). My dedicated server is going to be at home and sometimes I play after work in the office.

Just a suggestion, but I would like to see the server give a little more information and allow changes during play. The messages are cool, but it'd be handy to see a list of players, the current map, time, frags, etc. I'd like to be able to switch to certain maps, change team settings, change number of AIs, etc. Even if I could change all that and I was forced to switch levels or reset the level, I wouldn't mind.

IP:

peeet
posted January 19, 2000 03:43 PM         
TAThos - press 'tab' while playing to display a list of players, frags, teams and ping info.

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 19, 2000 05:21 PM            
I think he is refering to the Server End, peeet.

Yeah, LDA is adding a lot of features to the server in the next update...mostly at my request (well, the request was for the final, but they sort of ran out of time)

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
neym@rpi.edu

IP:

Sehnsucht_at_Work
posted January 19, 2000 07:38 PM            
Yah, I'd like to have alot of those things visible before ocnnecting too, and that won't fit on the screen..

So perhaps have a 'Server Info' button that when ya click it, brings up another screen with detailed info on the selected server?

Also, a way to check the map while in-game owuld be nice (going to the server menu is kinda silly)

IP: