|
Author Topic:   So good, but so slow
chrisb
posted January 17, 2000 09:36 PM            
I have what I thought was a fairly fast computer. p2 400mhz 64meg of ram, 8meg of video memory, but no 3d accelerator. I tried to get one but no room on my mother board. So now I have to play this game on the lowest resolution with every detail turned off. Try it the next time you play and have pity on me

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 17, 2000 10:24 PM           
A card with 8 megs of video ram may actually be a 3D accelerator of some merit. You may want to try installing GLSetup from www.glsetup.com to see if it finds a 3D chipset to install drivers for.

If not, you could replace your current 2D video card with a 2D/3D video card. Try www.pricewatch.com for good video card prices.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 17, 2000 10:38 PM            
Well, I have run this on a 400MHz with no 3D card and a 450MHz with TNT2. The difference is incredible! On one, you can barely move the tank. On the other its one of the best graphics games arround.

My suggestion is you get a better video card - it will mean the difference between what you call a slow game and what actually is an awsome game.

------------------
Random Chaos
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
neym@rpi.edu

IP:

chrisb
posted January 18, 2000 06:35 AM            
I really would like to get a better video card but I cant afford it with a 42,000 dollar tuition. Thats canadian so about 20,000 american. Makes me wonder how I found the money for the game. I gotta go steal some food now...

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 18, 2000 07:02 AM            
Well, FYI:

I don't have a computer with a decent video card either - thats why I play on my roommate's! I'm stuck on a 266MHz Laptop. But its a good server for TM - and will be back up as a server as soon as this Club budget is complete.

------------------
Random Chaos
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
neym@rpi.edu

IP:

hunter64
posted January 18, 2000 11:46 AM            
I think you guys spend too much time playing TM and should get jobs. Of course I wish I could play games all day and not worry about making mortgage payments and child care bills. BTW I have a PII 300 with a Viper 770 TNT 2 32MB AGP (I recommend this card) and the game runs great. I am looking to upgrade my Sound card any suggestions?

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 19, 2000 08:09 PM            
Hunter64:
1. How do you think I got this Athlon?
2. Get an SBLive! X-Gamer... does A3D AND EAX... and EAX IS better than A3D...

IP: