|
Author Topic:   Quick Question: Hadrware-based T&L?
R
posted January 16, 2000 02:38 PM            
Just wondering...

Does Tread Marks take advantage of the nVidia GeForces' hardware T&L? I've "heard" that it does, but the title is not listed at the nvidia site: http://www.nvidia.com/GeForce256.nsf/htmlmedia/geforce256tltitles.html

If so, is this the same of both, the shareware AND the full game?

Thanks for your time!

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 17, 2000 03:03 PM            
Just FYI, EVERY OpenGL game uses T&L if availible... sweet huh?

IP:

NightQwerty
posted January 17, 2000 04:09 PM            
*grumble* I know a guy who's getting a brand-spanking-new Falcon Northwest computer. It's going to have a 750 MHz Athlon, and the newest GeForce DDR card. Where did he get all the money? Does he deal drugs? Is he on drugs? Why doesn't he build the thing for 1000 bucks cheaper? Why can't I have a graphics card with T&L and Double Data Rate? I used to have such a kick-ass computer. Now it's obsolete.....

------------------
NightQwerty

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 17, 2000 04:57 PM           
It is _possible_ to write an OpenGL app that won't take advantage of T&L automatically, but it takes some work, and isn't a good idea these days.

Tread Marks will take advantage of Hardware Transforms, but it handles its own lighting. The only lighting that could be accelerated would be Object lighting (not terrain lighting), and then a lot of objects in the game (e.g. reflective objects) aren't even lit at the vertex level.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 17, 2000 05:49 PM            
Have YOU ever seen an OpenGL app that wouldn't use transform hardware?

IP: