|
Author Topic:   Is this over my head?
rewalt
posted January 15, 2000 06:44 PM            
ok.....havent ordered the game yet but after seeing all the comments......i gotta ask.....is this game over my head? I know nothing about altering files to create new weapons or modifying existing ones. Is the read me file gonna tell me how to do this? If not, I'm going to be totally at the mercy of you guys! Its gonna be bad enuff that i'm a newbie and gettin my hull breeched (translates to getting my a$$ kicked all over the place) while i wait for my puny weapons. I am not all that great with puters but can manage to figure most of the stuff out without creating system problems. A few responses from players with the full version would be appreciated.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 15, 2000 08:55 PM            
Well...

This game is not about modifying the game - but many of us players enjoy doing just that.

The game is, I believe, coming with a basic description of how the entity editing is done. But this will not be the only resource for modifing the game. I have two sources of my own:
http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com - I have an entity information and help page, still under development and not really there yet. http://boards.eesite.com/board.cgi?boardset=tmrcmod - I have a moding BBS specifically so people can discuss making mods and how to do it.

------------------
Random Chaos
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

peeet
posted January 15, 2000 11:13 PM         
rewalt - take from a non-gamer: you don't need to be a computer guru to play and enjoy this game!

just take a few games against the robots to get used to the controls, then join a multiplayer game & have a blast! the only server that i know about that has been modified is Random Chaos' server. RC has added some cool new weapons - just visit his web site to find out how to enable them if you're interested...

have fun!

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 15, 2000 11:49 PM            
Well, actually, peeet:

My server is right now down, and will be down for the next week or so. Unforunately I have a club budget to do and becuase of MS Word's poor memory management combined with a very large file, there isn't enough memory to run Word and any other program that uses even more than just very little memory. Thus, my TM server being down.

When it comes back up, expect it to be the FULL game, not the demo.

------------------
Random Chaos
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

mumbojumbo
posted January 16, 2000 07:20 AM         
Rewalt, I don't know any programming or much about altering files either, but I can tell you this game is just plain fun! I'm sure when everyone gets the full version, these guys will be modifying all kinds of stuff. We just have to hope they share the info with the rest of us!

IP:

Sehnsucht
posted January 16, 2000 12:01 PM            
Beyond Thunderdrome also runs a modified server, FYI.

IP:

KC
posted January 16, 2000 05:05 PM            
I don't even have the demo yet, but from what I have read here today, I can see I won't have any problem making changes, but some of the players I play other games with, and any non-tech kids that can't even copy a file in windows might.

How about making a little windows GUI to point and click weapons changes on-screen.
You could have it like sliding bars with min and max ranges at each end for each weapon.
Clicking DONE would just update the .txt file. Sounds like it might be a handy post release add-on util.

IP:

peeet
posted January 16, 2000 05:09 PM         
Sehnsucht - true, but i was talking about having to DL and install weapons mod files in order to see the modified weapons while on a particular server... i think Thunderdome just changed the way the existing weapons work.

RC - haven't resolved my graphics card problem yet, so i haven't been online for a while... looking forward to having the Chaos Server back!

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 17, 2000 03:01 PM            
Pooor peeet!

IP:

peeet
posted January 17, 2000 03:34 PM         
yeah! more sympathy for pooor peeet!

IP: