|
Author Topic:   sdk?
kenny
posted January 12, 2000 05:02 PM            
i have been following your game since test1 and all i gata say is the finished product turned out better then i expected....no joke(now i gata save my money)

i was wondering though if you were going to release a sdk? i saw the models in .lwo format and since i dont have lightwave i decided not to edit those(i am heading over to 3dcafe to find plugins for max to import and export iwo though)

this doesnt answer my ever present need to modify a game though.....are you going to release the sdk for the game? (i want to make myself some new weapons!!) i think it would be cool to be able to code your own new weapons

i am pretty satified editing the .ent right now though....

BTW dudets if you think the gause rifle shoots to slow or you just dont get enough nuke for that 1 shot go into the entities dir and edit the weapon ents

i personaly like the game better with 20 airstrike ammo and 64 swarmers and 30 gause ammo with .1 reload time

any replies from LDA is appreciated greatly

i really want to make a mod for this kick a$$ game!

edited - dubed out swear words to not offend noone

[This message has been edited by kenny (edited January 12, 2000).]

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 12, 2000 05:32 PM            
Editing weapons needs 3 things:

A text editor
A program that reads LWO files
UV Mapper (yet to be released by LDA - expect in a few weeks the download)

----------------------------

How to do it:

All .ent files are just text files. They are what control how the weapon works. If you have questions about a specific command line or how to do something in them, head over to my Modifications BBS at http://boards.eesite.com/board.cgi?boardset=tmrctds to ask about it. I can usually give a quick responce...and if I don't know the anwser and no one else has responded, I will find out for you.

For the LWO files, all the faces that are created must be clockwise wound, but that is sometimes hard to know becuase of which plane it is rendered from and often takes trial and error using UV Mapper to make work right.

For the LUV files, they tell Treadmarks how to display the texture. They are created by UV Mapper.

(there will also be ways to alter the .img files and the map files once the game is released)

------------------
Random Chaos
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

kenny
posted January 12, 2000 06:04 PM            
yes yes yes...i know about the ent files and lwo and luv and img files...i was meaning like being able to edit the code so i can code specific team rules or flying objects or something like that....in half life all you gata do is edit the md.dll and client.dll that would be excelent if they were to merge the other stuff over to a dll and leave the game engine in tm.exe(this means that you can have like say 2 bases and you can capture the flag or something...anyone ever played that anchient game called bolo for the mac?

i have some ideas similar to that

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 12, 2000 07:45 PM            
Kenny, I don't belive that LDA could do what you have asked without going really far, at least from what I have gathered from Seumas's posts about TM in the programming forum... I wish you could do that kinda stuff to, though...

IP:

kenny
posted January 12, 2000 08:54 PM            
yeah i was just asking for the hell of it...if they cant do it then thats cool with me(i will be more then happy making new maps and weapons)

IP:

BlodBath
posted January 12, 2000 09:34 PM            
well i for one am wishing they would include some more functions in the entities... a ProxDetonateRange one would be good and maybe a SpawnEnt or TrackEnt

but for such a nice game, editing is soooo easy compared to say, quake2 or derivatives

------------------
BlodBath

IP:

kenny
posted January 12, 2000 10:50 PM            
got that right!!!!

i am making a mod for hl(or was untill i got busy)in the hl community i am known as real_man and i do the firearms mod team as a modeler and animator. not to mention the navyseals for quake3 i am also a part of.

i gata slow down on editing games and make my gramer and spelling better :-P

[This message has been edited by kenny (edited January 12, 2000).]

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 13, 2000 12:48 AM            
Well, I suggested a ProximityDet command to LDA a while back...but since they didn't need it for their weapons, they didn't take the time to include it...but it may be there in the future. We also so need a "DetectGroundEnter" and "DetectGroundExit" command - default is 1 - detection, but with this we could make things like Drillers and such from Scorched Earth!

As for a SpewerEnt command...thats already there in a way. Any entity call (projectile, exploent, smoke, sound, etc.) can access any entity type. If its not in the default dir, just use Class/Type (which would be Spewer/nnnnn). Also, don't forget about the EntityChain command.

TracksEnt - what do you mean?

(I also was bugging them for lava as in Scorched Earth, but they said that was very difficult to program given the engine)

------------------
Random Chaos
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 13, 2000 02:56 PM           
I had planned on splitting the Entity code away from the engine code and allowing DLL based modifications, but I didn't have time to implement all of that, and settled for having extremely easy modifiability at a low and intermediate level and no modifiability at the most advanced level.

What happens now depends partly on how successful Tread Marks is, and how much interest there is in doing major modifications. It could be possible to split the code into separate DLLs yet. One other possibility would be to integrate a simple scripting language (the one I'm looking at now is Lua), which could be used to easily add additional functionality to existing entity classes.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

kenny
posted January 13, 2000 11:07 PM            
i would really like to see the dll feature to be implemented cause i aint good enough at coding to make my own game yet but i woudl love to have my own mod for this game since i can do 3d, 2d and code(this would be next to a dream for me)

i am gonna go tell all my friends to buy this game so yiou guys make allot of money(you deserve it)

IP: