|
Author Topic:   Card Suggestions?
rewalt
posted January 11, 2000 08:53 PM            
Ok.....my Rage Pro Turbo card isnt going to allow me try out this demo..WAAAA!!!! The new ATI Maxxx Card 128 w/64Megs looks to be something that will work with game.....hopefully.B4 i go out and get this thing.....would another card work better? From the discussions ive been reading here, this is one awesome tank game! I have been playing RECOIL for the past 6 months or so and a few of my buddies highly recommend this demo.....and later getting the full version. Any good ideas concerning the card of choice? And also.....will the full version on CD hit the Ohio area anytime soon? Thanx!

IP:

Hawk
posted January 11, 2000 09:16 PM            
Sorry, dude. It won't be hitting anywhere anytime soon. LDA apparently decided that due to creative liberties that they needed to make the game rock like it does, they couldn't risk having the game overseen by (Insert Any Big Name Publisher Here). That way, they have complete creative freedom. At least, that's how the explanation sounded to me. But I'm nuts, so...

Anyway, this also means that the only way you can get ahold of the game is by ordering it, either by mail order for $35.00 plus $5.00 shipping and handling, or 34.95 plus 5.00 shipping and handling from the 'Buy Now' button on their website, ordering over the internet.

And I use a Voodoo 3 2000 and it rocks.

Hope this helps,
Hawk of Temporal Chaos

[This message has been edited by Hawk (edited January 11, 2000).]

IP:

LDA Jim
Administrator
posted January 12, 2000 12:05 AM            
It’s partly to keep creative freedom that we wanted to develop Tread Marks without any outside interference, and partly that we are too small for the “industry” to notice or pay much attention to.

I sent a few feelers out to publishers after the first Tread Marks test was out, and other than one polite "we like what you're doing but not now thanks" was totally ignored... which I don't mind...I would have ignored us too...no history...no relevant degrees...no track record outside of DX-Ball 2, which is pretty small shareware by big publisher standards... and no way of knowing if we could actually finish the game.

It’s that catch-22 of life, that you need experience to get a job, but that you need a job to get experience.

So, in that stubborn “American way”, we’ve created our own “job” and made Tread Marks on our own.

If enough people like Tread Marks and want to play it, maybe a big publisher will make us an offer and we’ll be in the mainstream. If not, we’ll carry on.

The pleasure is in making the best games that we can... and we're just getting started

IP:

Dreamer
posted January 12, 2000 04:56 AM         
Well said, Jim!
Keep going.

------------------
Hail and kill.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 12, 2000 12:20 PM           
rewalt,

The ATI Rage 128 MAXX should be a great card, since the older ATI Rage 128 is very fast and stable as it is.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 12, 2000 07:57 PM            
"American way"...
Just you live in Canada

IP:

LDA Jim
Administrator
posted January 12, 2000 09:49 PM            
You know... Canada ... where we practice the "American Way" but with insecurity and self-doubt ;-)

...and why so much Canadian talent lives in California

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 13, 2000 12:39 AM            
or in the middle of lakes?

IP:

KC
posted January 16, 2000 11:21 AM            
Thumb's Up to the little guy's.

I have seen first hand what the "Big Guy's" do to the smaller guy's when they get involved. I was a beta tester for TRI (Terminal Reality) when they were writing Monster Truck Madness II for Microsoft. The game game out supurb, but there was allot of "hand tying" going on. TRI has sence vowed to never work with MS again.

I'm looking foward to trying Tread.
I am most anxious to learn about the mod's as I run a web site with auto UL/DL pages.

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 17, 2000 03:08 PM            
Ever play any other TRI games? Terminal Velocity was fun as heck!

IP:

Blacktooth
posted January 18, 2000 09:45 PM         
Rewalt, I think if you are gonna spend major cash on a vid card (I'm not trying to start a vid card fight here) you maybe should check out Geforce 256 based cards. They use new tech called hardware T&L that OpenGL currently supports. This takes a huge load of your CPU which in turn makes your current CPU last a bit longer. From what I've read (and thats a lot) T&L is the wave of the future. LDA should be able to tell you if TM supports hardware T&L.

The Rage Maxx is a great card but you better have some real horsepower (like a P3 600 at least) to get it going. The Geforce will still beat or come very close to beating it on a far less equipped system (with or without T&L)

As for getting TM in Ohio.. Mr. UPS gave me my full version copy today. (he's got all the cool stuff) ;-)

IP:

Meister
posted January 20, 2000 08:12 AM         
GeForce 256 rocks!! I just got an ASUS v6600 deluxe and I play TM on the Godly mode on my Celeron 333 (@416 MhZ).. smooth as silk with the standard 5 or so tanks and heaps of explosions, etc.. I'll have to crank it up a bit. These cards ARE the future. Period. Oh yeah, great game guys!

IP: