|
Author Topic:   Waaaaah!
peeet
posted January 11, 2000 03:49 PM         
oh, MAN i HATE computers! (love TM, tho! )

just bought a Leadtek S320ii TNT2 card, and now TM keeps CRASHING!

i uninstalled my f***ing ATI card & drivers, installed the TNT2 card & drivers, and it seemed to work ok for a while, then i got a few crashes, so i ran glsetup, and now it crashes worse than ever!

(when i DO see a message, i see: "TM caused invalid page fault in module NVOPENGL.DLL at 015f:69509561..." otherwise it just stops)

damn! i don't have the patience/time/know-how to fix this! aaaargh! any suggestions? Leadtek so far has talked about AGP bus incompatibilities, bus speed, and other incomprehensible things... whatever happened to the concept of "Plug and Play"?

thanks for letting me vent here - i'm goin' CRAZY!

(i'm SUCH a whiner! somebody KILL ME NOW!)

[This message has been edited by peeet (edited January 11, 2000).]

IP:

NightQwerty
posted January 11, 2000 03:51 PM            
I have a TNT2 Ultra card, and I experience no problems. So it might not be the card, but some other thing. er....

------------------
NightQwerty

IP:

peeet
posted January 11, 2000 04:11 PM         
did you have to install glsetup for the thing to work right?

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 11, 2000 06:27 PM           
peeet,

Do you have Windows 95 or Windows 98? There may be some problems with recent TNT drivers on Win95 (not to do with TM). Regardless, I would suggest downloading the latest Detonator drivers from www.nvidia.com and trying those, which may help.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

peeet
posted January 12, 2000 09:39 AM         
i run win98 (1st version?). oh, man - it just gets worse the more i mess with it... the same problems occur even when i use the altogl wrapper! (i'll send you the tank.log file for one of the occurrences, if it might help)

last nite, i got a "TM caused general page fault in TM.exe ...", then, later, the computer just re-booted all by itself right in the middle of the game!

dxdiag.exe seems to work OK... Leadtek tech support said something about the 1st version of win98 and the AGP bus... i might try to format my HD this weekend and re-install everything with the 2nd version of win98 (maybe my ATI drivers are still affecting things? i still see them in the Windows directory and sub-directories)

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 12, 2000 11:37 AM            
Hmm...I've had general protection faults with TM occasionally, but they have only been caused by 3 problems:

1: A memory conflict with another program that didn't properly claim memory.

2: Running a dedicated server (now why, I don't know, but the "Run Dedicated Server" under the Treadmarks.exe. If I run it via a shortcut I haven't had any problem though, but it was also a different dedicated.cfg file so it may be that the "Edit Dedicated" is doing something odd since I used the LDA's call to Notepad both times to edit...the other server were edited other ways with different text editors.

3: Runing "go to website" on software version will crash TM - its a known bug, but its not in TM, its in the SGISoftware OpenGL driver. Nothing LDA can do about that...

Suggestion Peeet - try reinstalling and see if that helps. Also try closing all other apps you have running - the one that I had the memory conflict with was on my roommate's comp and was Outlook Express - sounds just like Microsoft! Unable to write good programs!

------------------
Random Chaos
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

peeet
posted January 12, 2000 12:22 PM         
yeah - i'm afraid i'm gonna have to re-install everything (tried just re-installing drivers, TM, other things...)

i'm just worried that i don't know enough about my computer to set all the BIOS stuff right - i have a call into Leadtek now - stuff like "AGP Aperature size (4,8,16,32,64,128,or 256)" what the hell is THAT!? and does it even make a difference? and what about AGP bus speed? Leadtek says it should be set to 66Mhz, but my computer's BIOS doesn't even have an option to change it (the mother board says it can handle AGP bus speeds up to 133 Mhz, tho...) i don't know - i'm babbling again. i probably just got a bum video card...
i'll let you know what happened if i re-install all this weekend.

I WANNA PLAY, DAMMIT!

sorry.

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 12, 2000 07:54 PM            
Peeet, you don't need to format... just rename your windows folder and reinstall... works for me and you get to keep you data!

IP:

kenny
posted January 12, 2000 08:56 PM            
well i wouldnt use kyeto's method until you tried reinstalling win over your current version(its easier..or so it seems to me)

IP:

BlodBath
posted January 12, 2000 09:28 PM            
sorry i didnt see this sooner man i coulda helped you

hehe i had that same problem, the thing is, nvopengl.drv is the nvidia reference opengl driver. I have acreative 3d blaster tnt2 and it came with the reference driver too. Then, whe i got the driver update to get TM to work, it installed a custom opengl driver made for my card...now i dont know if the error is more serious like some people are telling you to reformat, but I solved my problem just by replacing my opengl driver with a custom one... Check their website for any updates and if you already did that, i dont see what reformatting will do you, as you will still gotta have nvopengl to run it hardware. Dont bother with glsetup too, it just installs the latest nvopengl, which at this point suck

------------------
BlodBath

IP:

peeet
posted January 13, 2000 10:29 AM         
thanks for all the suggestions...

Blodbath - where did you get the driver update (custom driver?) - from creative labs (for your particular card)?
i already tried the newest Leadtek driver... i'm gonna try the newest TNT2 "Detonator" driver from nvidia also...
thanks again!

IP:

mumbojumbo
posted January 14, 2000 06:36 AM         
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the graphics apeture size should be set to 1/2 system memory. I have 128 meg RAM and run the apeture at 64 with no probs. I haven't tried any other settings though. Also, I have the 'original' version of Win98 and have a 2x AGP slot and have no conflicts with that, sounds like they're giving you some BS there...
Have you updated all the Win 98 files from the website? It may help too.

IP:

Cell
posted January 14, 2000 07:17 AM         

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited March 02, 2002).]

IP:

peeet
posted January 14, 2000 09:27 AM         
ok - last night i upgraded windows 98 ver. 1 to version 2. no help. then i downloaded tried each driver that i have for this card (Leadtek driver sent on CD, updated Leadtek driver, detonator .353 ...) no help. then i downloaded and installed detonator .368. no help still.

NOW tech support is saying that the card might be overheating during 3D accel. (the stupid thing HAS a fan over the TNT2 chip!). i have to open comp back up tonite and see if the fan is even working...

does anyone know if it is even possible for
an overheating video card to cause "invalid
page faults" by software?

and, Cell, how can i tell if my motherboard is an "older Socket7 VIA chipset MoBo"? i can tell you it is a WIN Technologies WXLXB (specs. listed at http://www.edom.com/products/w6lxb/w6lxb.htm)

i totally appreciate everyone's help!
thank you!

IP:

peeet
posted January 14, 2000 09:27 AM         
oops... hit "submit" twice somehow...

[This message has been edited by peeet (edited January 14, 2000).]

IP:

Cell
posted January 14, 2000 06:18 PM         

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited March 02, 2002).]

IP:

peeet
posted January 15, 2000 10:56 PM         
gee, thanks! i'm SO honored to be a member!

really, though, thanks for the input & help...

the game does run for a while, then it seems like i get a really cool, fun weapon like a nuke, the program crashes.

tomorrow i'm gonna take the side off & see if the TNT2 chip fan even runs, and then maybe try to keep it cool with a steady stream of cool air while i play....

we'll see.

IP:

kenny
posted January 16, 2000 03:15 AM            
i hada problem simialr to yours....my computer cept locking up every 10 mins. i opened up my case and the fan on my cpu was ded. so untill i get off my lazy butt and buy a new fan no more overclocking for me :-(

IP:

peeet
posted January 17, 2000 02:14 PM         
update: things _may_ be looking up...

i was able to play for 1 1/2 hours, no problems, last nite. i did a few things before i started the computer up, and now i just have to confirm that they actually worked.

i set the AGP aperature size to 16MB, and disabled video BIOS shadow, video BIOS cacheable and video RAM cacheable. i also took the side off of the computer case. if the BIOS fixes worked, then all is well. if removing the side worked, then i guess i'll have to try a replacement card from the retailer or install another fan inside to cool the graphics card...

thanks again for the input, all!

IP:

CUTHROAT
posted January 17, 2000 11:38 PM            
also you can download the reference driver for the tnt chipset on the card.reference driver are far better than the oem driver from the company that made the card.give it a try.but like always if your system is working right now then forget it.as always with putters the saying is if it works dont fix it.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 18, 2000 12:07 AM            
Oh, come on! The saying with putterers is:

"If it works, take it appart to find out why."

------------------
Random Chaos
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
neym@rpi.edu

IP:

kenny
posted January 18, 2000 12:09 AM            
not totaly true. i installed the new detonator drivers wich are supposed to work with "all" tnt chipset based cards. the only thing it did for me is set my screen resolution at 640x480x16colors not 16k but 16.0

i have a diamond viper 550 with the latest bios and drivers...hmmm oh well i am stisfied with my framerate as it is..

IP:

Sehnsucht_at_Work
posted January 19, 2000 07:21 PM            
I've had this happen, have to go to display propeties, set it to 640*480*16bit, reboot, then able to do normal stuff. dunno why.

Happened when installing ANY new drivers OEM or reference on my STB Velocity 4400 (TNT1 16MB PCI) and ASUS V3800 Ultra Deluxe (TNT2U 32MB AGP)..

IP:

Blacktooth
posted January 19, 2000 07:56 PM         
1) the saying is (for 'puter engineers anyways): "If it works, it doesn't have enough features yet."

2) I've found in updating TNT/2 drivers that its best to do it in safe mode or Ctrl-Alt-Del and End Task everything except Explorer and Systray. I have tried either of these many times (prefer Safe Mode).

3) I have always been told by vid card makers to turn off video shadow and cacheing in BIOS.

4) If you want a real nightmare, I once actually got an old Matrox Mystaque to run on a system with a horrid built-in 1MB vid card (it had no "disable" feature either). It took all day and I really think the system just gave up to my relentless prodding. Damn I miss that system...NOT!

IP: