|
Author Topic:   Who runs Thunderdome?
LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 07, 2000 04:49 AM           
Does anyone here know who the server operator of Thunderdome is? Just wondering, as I'd like to find out if there's anything odd about the configuration of the Shadow Keeper, to see whether the Keeper doing zero damage is a bug in the game or an intentional (or unintentional) setting on the server.

Thanks!

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

peeet
posted January 07, 2000 12:30 PM         
ok - im not crazy (???) i downloaded the demo and 1st thing went to multiplayer mode at Thunderdome to play it for the 1st time. i got the Shadowkeeper and thought, "heh heh heh, look out, everyone!", but the weapon didn't seem do any damage!

Thunderdome is a popular and fast server, but the overpowered pea-shooter drives me nuts!

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 07, 2000 11:09 PM            
Same as the old thunderdome peeet...

As for who runs it, I seem to recall (but please, don't quote me) that LabRat and group (there are 3 or 4 from the same school) runs it...but thats what I seem to recall. They originally didn't have it named, and I suggested that they add a name to it about 2 months ago, so they did, and I seem to recall that they called it Thunderdome...

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 07, 2000 11:19 PM            
Oh, and as for the Shadow damage, the answer is YES, there is a problem (at least in the Demo)!

Earlier, I was trying out my "Shadow Mine" that I will be placing on my server, and the shots only did about 5 to 10 points of damage (this was local on an unaltered Wonk.ent file set). Also, as for spewers, the spewed projectiles are NOT owned by the individual that spewed them...which is a real pain for my "Shadow Mine" since it attacked me too...

And it seems the weighting is off - the shadow mine was appearing everywhere on a server (single player) that had all the normal weapons and a few extra - but it only had a weight of 20, but other weapons, such as the Orbital Laser (my addition), the Shadow Keeper, and the Matter Bomb never once spawned - and all 3 of them had weight of 10...odd.

Hopefully the Shadow Keeper problem is just in the demo...

Took a look at the Wank.Ent file:
damage = 0.05
This seems low...for a weapon that is supposed to do about 0.70 damage...all 3 of my copies of this file have the same damage level (even the one you sent me Seumas, so its going to also be in the normal game with the same problem - since you sent me that when you were making up that install program).

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com
treadmarks@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 08, 2000 05:06 AM           
Random,

Would you be able to get me an e-mail address for anyone involved in running Thunderdome? I'd really appreciate that.

I don't know why you would be seeing the problems you described, and I am now fairly confident it is _not_ a bug in the game, for two reasons: 1) I now recall that when I played on-line on Wednesday night on Thunderdome, I got a Shadow Keeper and killed a bunch of people with it. 2) We just tested the Shareware Dedicated Server here on our LAN with super-likely Shadow Keepers, and they were deadly (and never killed the owner) with all the various Team options, including those used by Thunderdome (Teamplay, TeamScores, and TeamDamage, with two player teams and a separate Bot team).

Also, the 0.05 damage per hit is entirely correct. Realize that you have 40 ammo, and each shot that hits has a 2 out of 3 chance of _bouncing_ and hitting _again_, or hitting another near by target. The bounced shot has another 66% chance of bouncing again, etc., etc., so if you're lucky one shot can strike the enemy many, many times.

Since the basic Shadow Keeper uses a Spewer entity, I am pretty sure the spewn projectiles are properly owned by the tank and team that fired them. Depending on how your Shadow Mines are set up, they may be killing you for the same reason that e.g. Plasma Mines can kill the owner.

Since we were updating .ENT files with new parameters and such right up until we burned the gold master, the safest thing to do is use the freshly-installed .ENT files with the Shareware Demo and re-do any modifications to those files, rather than re-using any old files from the Tests.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 08, 2000 06:13 PM            
Well, as for the "OVERLY LARGE" number of certain weapons - my mistake - I set the Weight up for testing, then forgot...but the Randomizer still isn't random!

As for the Shadow - I agree that it had that problem you described...but maybe it was due to another reason.

IP: