|
Author Topic:   upsides and downsides - opinions, please!
Moriarty
posted January 06, 2000 04:24 PM            
Ok, all of you who played the full demo: Say what you like or dislike about it. I guess it's too late for changes in the first version of the game, but hey, there's always another upgrade...

for a start, I love the Nemesis tank model. Almost manga-style, it's my instant favourite.

I think the Shadow Keeper is too strong. I know it's supposed to be ("death incarnate"), but still. In a race, it's too strong by far. In a deathmatch... oh well, you can always turn and run (or better yet, run without turning. that weak rear armor kills). I think that in a deathmatch, a tank with a weapon like that should be visibly marked King Of The Hill. You know, like with a big flashing arrow directly above saying "kill me". Maybe you could just make him glow real bright...

Did you change the surface friction somehow? or reduce gravity? It feels different... I don't know yet if it's better or worse.

The liquid tanks look real neat. Maybe you could make them so they have the team color...?

that's my $0.02 for now.
see ya

------------------
Yes, I'm on AOL - not everything that comes from a bad place is necessarily evil.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 07, 2000 03:21 AM           
At least when you're killed by the Shadow Keeper in Race mode it's not the end of the race. You can be easily toasted by other weapons too, such as an Avenger behind you. It is also much less likely the Kept will be able to pick up Super Ammo boxes to prolong the Evil, as Very Evil people can do in Deathmatch.

Tank physics were changed ever so slightly for the final version by the inclusion of a ground test point in the center of the tank, which prevents tall spikey terrain from sticking through the tanks. I think it does make the driving physics a little more, umm, "pert", but just a bit. Friction and gravity haven't been changed.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 07, 2000 04:42 PM            
I think you should be able to turn the (awesome) announcer off. If you (like me) like to listen to music while you play, it's a little anoying to have voices in there...

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 07, 2000 11:50 PM            
Or at least adjust the Announcer volume down...its a bit loud.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 08, 2000 04:05 AM           
We added the announcer (which is my brother Philippe, modified in Sound Forge) pretty much at the last minute, so forgot to add an option to turn it off or adjust its volume. We needed the volume to be pretty high for it to be heard over the music that is included in the full game. I'll see about adding more options for the announcer in the Upgrade.

And this reminds me, the full game includes a full 57 minutes of music professionally produced for the game. There are 11 songs in a number of styles, from techno to ambient to jungle to rock and grunge.

------------------

IP:

doltish
posted January 08, 2000 03:46 PM            
This game is absolutely incredible! My next game purchase is most definately going to be this one...and to think, I almost didn't even click the link on download.com!

Anyway, the controls take a bit getting used to, 'cause the tank slides all over the place when going at high speeds. The weapons are really cool, my personal favorite is the ramrod. There is only one thing: I found myself saying "screw the race" and I just went around killing all the other guys. Maybe there are more refined tracks in the full game, but I just drive around shooting anything I can.

One little ditty that I particularly enjoyed was using the dirt gun to make a gingundo pile right at the finish line, so as you crossed you'd fly waaaay into the air...anyway...I'm gonna go and explore a bit more maps...GREAT JOB!

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 09, 2000 10:40 AM           
You should give the Ladder mode a try (I would suggest starting at 100th Rank and working your way up), which gives you much more of a reason to actually finish the races in decent placing.

------------------

IP:

fusillade8
posted January 13, 2000 10:54 PM            
The Demo is great and extremely addictive, yet I have one small problem. Am I just a moron, or does the tank barrel remain stationary -- cannot be raised or lowered to fire at a target on higher or lower ground? If it's supposed to be this way, then definitely a big fault. If not, then please tell me how I can go about doing it.

IP:

Moriarty
posted January 14, 2000 03:58 AM            
Sorry pal, there will not be any vertical barrel movement.
It's been a heated discussion about it in the early stages of testing, and the decision has been made.
Vertical aiming may be <realistic/easier for hitting/more precise>, but not having it is <more fun/more action/less difficult controls>.
The goal of this game was to create a fast-paced, fun racing thing with weapons - not a difficult-to-control combat sim. kinda like the difference between AirQuake 1 and AirQuake 2. If anybody knows what the last sentence means, please reply.

------------------
Yes, I'm on AOL - not everything that comes from a bad place is necessarily evil.

IP:

fusillade8
posted January 14, 2000 01:55 PM            
Although it may make controls 'easier' for some incompetent gamers, it is a frustrating fact. I still agree that the game is fun. However, the hilly terrain without longitudinal barrel movement makes it difficult to achieve a position of tactical superiority to basically own the arena. This issue of no barrel movement seriously limits the use of the main gun and other straight-fire weapons. However, the control issue can be easily solved. I don't know if any of you have played other games like Half-Life or Q3, but a keyboard-mouse combination is very, very productive - mouse for up/down aiming and turning, and keyboard arrows for forward/back movement and l/r strafing. In the case of this game, the mouse for turret movement and the arrows for tank control.

Another thing that would be nice would be the ablility to carry and fire two weapons at once, for instance two machine guns or have a drill for close range and a plasma cannon. Just a small wish.

Once again, word to Longbow Digital for a novel game, but one which could be improved upon. Breaking new ground though, is not simple.

IP:

Dreamer
posted January 14, 2000 02:08 PM         
HarHarHar MRM.
Looks like you'll never give up...
Well, there IS vertical turret movement implemented: A feature built into nearly every single monitor old after 1992 is some kind of force feedback technology that allows you to - while playing TM and some <admittedly few> games that support it - tilt the monitor around the horizontal display axis to control turret movement. Works best with small screen diagonals up to 17", larger Monitors tend to spoil gameplay.

Hope to get the one who still has my Hârnmaster Magic pages.

Btw. This is an arcade game. Nothing but. It's supposed to be fun. Get my point?
If you want selectable weapons, total control over a hyperrealitstic tank and mayhaps even a 'strategy-screen', well, just don't buy TM.
I'd say that TM has reached the level of ancient ABUSE in terms of fun.

------------------
Hail and kill.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited January 14, 2000).]

IP: