|
Author Topic:   Basic problem with the Treadmarks Demo
Hawk
posted January 04, 2000 05:44 PM            
There is a problem that I've found with the demo version. IT'S EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE! That's not a problem in and of itself, but it's so much blasted fun with all the new weapons that I can't stop playing! Before playing this demo, I would refer you to Object 1 (Crappy Tank Racing Game That's Not Tread Marks). This should NOT be touched before playing TM. That will only make your experience all the more enjoyable. Play it afterward until you have no desire to play a tank racing game ever again. Repeat as necessary. Unfortunately, it's too late for me, as I've been sucked into the demo version after a rousing 15-player deathmatch. Heeeelllpp.....

Disregard everything in this message. It is irrelevant. We are Tread Marks. You will be assimilated....

The demo ROCKS! GO LDA!

IP:

Cell
posted January 05, 2000 06:39 AM         

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited March 02, 2002).]

IP:

iceWyrm
posted January 05, 2000 03:39 PM            
*sigh*... It's not fair... I keep seeing people rave about the game and I can't get more than 8 fps. I kinda enjoy it, but that kinda framerate kinda drains the experience, y'know? And yeah, that's with minimum settings (except that the hardware won't do full screen OpenGL in 320x240, but I suspect it wouldn't matter that much anyway). This's an embedded SiS 530 chipset in a brand new compaq (K6-2/500) my parents bought. And no, they can't afford a decent card.

Whew, just had to get that off my chest... argh...

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 05, 2000 07:26 PM            
Hmm. you have the demo? run the D3d_on.bat file in your Treadmarks folder (default is c:\program files\Tread Marks Demo (Ahh THINK it is anyways...)

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 07, 2000 06:27 AM           
Thanks guys! We're really glad you enjoy it!

iceWyrm,

I doubt using the alt.software D3D wrapper (the D3D_On.bat that Kaeto mentioned) will help much, since it is slower than a half-decent OpenGL driver. I think the main problem is that the SiS chipset just kind of sucks... Which is too bad.

A "decent card" for Tread Marks includes the TNT-1, or Voodoo 2, or even an old Riva128-ZX. If you go to www.pricewatch.com you should be able to find one of those three cards for very cheap these days. I would recommend the TNT-1 myself, but I've heard the Riva128 works decently too.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 07, 2000 04:32 PM            
Thought SIS's chip didn't do OGL... Oh well

IP:

iceWyrm
posted January 07, 2000 05:47 PM            
Thanks for the tip. I've already checked Pricewatch, and I've got my eye on a couple deals for video cards. Unfortunately, my parents just purchased for me a couple key components for finishing my own system, and a video card won't fit the budget yet. Fortunately, I've got a birthday coming up...

The sad thing is, the card in my system isn't any faster. Permedia 2. Ich.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 08, 2000 05:21 AM           
I'm pretty sure there is an OpenGL driver for the SiS, and they're even trying to get it included in GLSetup.

The Permedia 2 may perform a little better. With the settings configured to their very lowest, you might see playable frame rates. It is on the edge of playability on our P133/Permedia2 test system here, but with a faster processor it would probably do OK.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

iceWyrm
posted January 09, 2000 11:56 PM            
I tried TM in software mode just for the heck of it - BOOM, much faster frame rate. I think this is a sign.

Time to get a Riva board... 128 or TNT is what I'm looking at.

Well, I look forward to being able to enjoy this awesome game in some halfway decent semblance of its full glory. I'm definitely going to have to put the full version on my wish list, immediately after a new video card and some network hardware... maybe I should look into getting a job.

IP: