|
Author Topic:   Treadmarks (it needs one more thing...)
Cryogenix
posted January 03, 2000 11:23 PM         
I've been playing Recoil (a cool arcade tank game with multiplayer support) since the demo was released more than a year ago. I LOVE Recoil, but no maps or level editor were ever created and the game was pretty much abandoned.

Anyway...while people are still showing up at Westwood to play, I'd really like to play another tank game, since that is my favorite gaming vehicle to play in (or with).

I hate the Armored Fist series and Wargasm was just too boring. Treadmarks seems to have come very close to making a Recoil-type game, loaded with fast-paced action, and it has gone a step further with added visual realizm. However, the ONE thing I can't stand, and the ONLY reason I will never buy this game (if it remains as it is in the current demo) is because the joystick support simply sucks, plain and simple. There nothing I hate more than having to PUSH the stick forward to move forward, and PULL the stick back to move backward. This just doesn't feel right, since these stick movements (as in Recoil) work FAR better in controlling the turret up and down.

While I'm happy the twisting action does rotate the turret, I really, really, really wish the makers of Treadmarks would make it so RUDDER control (the wheel of sorts that's on my MS Sidewinder Precision Pro sitck) so that I can use THAT to speed up and slow down.

PLEASE, if you game developing dudes are reading this, give us better control of the tank. I promise I will buy it! I've already told my friends about it and we've all downloaded the demo and are "struggling" to play with the current controls (since most of us are used to the tanks acceleration being controlled by the rudder wheel).

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

IP:

Hawk
posted January 04, 2000 12:54 PM            
Wha? I use a Saitek Cyborg 2000, and when I first downloaded Test 2.1 I used a Ch F16 Flightstick. I found the controls of Treadmarks very easy to figure out. Forward for go, backward for stop, trigger shoots the gun. It's even better with my Saitek P120 gamepad, which almost seems to have been made for the game. It's a really fun game, and as long as the fun factor is high, I really don't care how the controls work. However, I'm the next step down from clinically insane, so maybe the ease of the controls is just me, in which case you should disregard all the prior text in this message.

Sincerely,

Hawk of Temporal Chaos

[This message has been edited by Hawk (edited January 04, 2000).]

IP:

Sehnsucht_at_Work
posted January 04, 2000 02:03 PM            
no up/down turret movement, silly@!

rudder pedals would be nice tho..

but I don't have any, and the minute I tried to change the button config I had to switch back cause I was used to the defaults, I was sucking big time when I tried to use a variation on my standard keyboard config..

besides, joysticks are useless for anything other than flight sims, too much time is needed to move from one side to the other, whereas on keyboard you can just press a different key. joypads might work, but I prolly owuldn't use them myself anyways..

I like the default config. so nyah!

and mouse aiming blows!

well, I havene't tried it in the demo, but I hated it in the test.. and I don't need it.

IP:

Cryogenix
posted January 04, 2000 04:55 PM         
Usless, huh? Care to meet me for a game of Recoil? I'll waste you the way I waste everyone else who uses a mouse/key setup!

I HATE using a mouse and I HATE using keyboards. It's a game! It needs to be played using a joystick! THAT'S fun!

Pushing forward to move ahead while twisting the turrent to aim is a major pain in the arse! Using rudder as accelerator is SO much easier and quick!

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 04, 2000 08:55 PM           
Sehnsucht,

You should try the Mouse Look mode that has been added in the Shareware Demo (select it on the Options screen, or toggle in real time with the L key). It lets you swing your view around really quickly, and the turret will turn to follow as fast as it can.

Cryogenix,

Your terminology's a bit off. The "rudder" is the twisting of the stick; what you're talking about is "throttle". It would be possible to add an option to switch the tank's acceleration to the throttle instead of the forward/back axis. Personally I doubt it would be a very good method of control, though... The best way to kick ass in Races is to learn to power-slide through turns, which requires turning left or right with the accelerator at neutral (which allows you to turn much faster), then slamming on the gas once you're aimed in the right direction. This could be a bit tricky with the throttle for acceleration. It also means you need two hands on the stick, so you can't use one hand on the keyboard and one hand on the stick. Also, as to twisting the stick being a pain, you can configure a couple of joystick buttons as turret left/right and use those for turret rotation.

Another thing to note is that the current joystick axis settings are what works with steering wheel and pedal set-ups.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 05, 2000 12:07 PM            
Joysticks are crap for FPS's but they rule in racing games. In TM I use my $2 compusa joystick with the < and > keys for turret... It kicketh ass. I will blow your butt off if you don't belive me...

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 05, 2000 05:08 PM            
Might want to point out that a throttle control on a joystick such as the Gravis Phoenix would be a better speed control...but then I hate games that require joysticks anyway!

My personal opinion is that you have less control with a joystick than with a keyboard/mouse combo.

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com
treadmarks@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Cryogenix
posted January 05, 2000 07:52 PM         
I don't play flight sims, so I never bothered to learn the correct terminology for the controls aspects of the stick. Thanks for setting me straight on that.

A setting that allowed for throttle control via the joystick's throttle wheel would be immensely appreciated. If added, I won't hesitate to buy the game, and I'll waste all you chumps who think joysticks suck! Hehehehehehe! I compensate for slower targetting by swinging the chasis around while rotating the turret and spinning out and reversing course to evade as I fire and frag ya. Trust me, you don't stand a chance. I've got da moves!

Looking forward to battling ya....

[This message has been edited by Cryogenix (edited January 05, 2000).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 05, 2000 09:22 PM            
Hehe... In TM, joystick is king!

IP:

Hawk
posted January 06, 2000 10:47 PM            
no, joypad is king. I have a boomerang-shape two-hand controller, N-64 control setup. It is awesome. I still like the controls on the joystick though. I can't play with the keyboard. It drives me nuts, and I eventually switc back to the joy pad.

------------------
I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it

IP:

Hawk
posted January 06, 2000 10:53 PM            
In the Thunderdome server, the mods almost require a trigger. If you don't fire off your tank turret first, you'll get fragged by the guy flying past you shooting at you with the overpowered tank turret. That server REQUIRES that you learn to time your shots perfectly. And I can't do that with a keyboard. :p

Hawk of Temporal Chaos

[This message has been edited by Hawk (edited January 06, 2000).]

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 07, 2000 03:13 AM           
I personally prefer one hand on the keyboard, and one hand on the mouse, with the new Mouse Look feature enabled (you also need Turret View on (M key) to get the full effect). Drive with the key hand, look around (turret follows) and fire with the mouse hand.

Mouse Look lets you very quickly look all around you to scout out the nearest enemy, incoming projectiles, or your favorite weapons off in the distance. It's also great for looking up into the sky and tracking those swarms of 20 cruise missiles on Thunderdome.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Sehnsucht
posted January 08, 2000 09:35 PM            
My issue with joysticks is there's too much latency between when you start to move it from one extreme on an axis to when you can get it moved all the way back.. you can only move the stick so fast. With buttons, you just press the other one as you let go of the first..

I tried changing the keys etc but I'm so used to TM defaults that I did suckuth much

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 08, 2000 09:45 PM            
Why I hate keyboard:
Simple : no analog control. lining up is hard.
Why I hate mouse:
It makes you drive with your left hand... I play WASD style is FPS's/Descent, but in racing like TM? I tried it, I can't...
Why I love joystick:
My joystick has a throw of about 2 inches... very small. Responds fast

IP:

hunter64
posted January 14, 2000 01:33 PM            
Hey Cryo, I too am a Recoil alumi, I love that game although I never acheived the reputation that you achieved, master. I also have a problem with the joystick support, Please somebody fix this with a patch or something. Look forward to seeing you in the battle field.

SGT HUNTER>

IP: