Author Topic:   Can't ping Master server through proxy
Cell
posted December 29, 1999 08:34 PM         

[This message has been edited by Cell (edited March 02, 2002).]

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted December 29, 1999 09:45 PM           
What proxy server are you using? I haven't tested Tread Marks with any proxy servers or firewalls, but I expect it should work if the proxy is configured to allow UDP packets on ports from 12300 through 12399.

Your proxy may need "network address translation" to have a chance of things working seamlessly. Or if you only want to have one computer play Tread Marks at a time, it might be possible to configure the above UDP port range to always redirect from the proxy to your gaming machine.

I'm not terribly familiar with proxies and firewalls, so I'd be glad to hear if you're able to get it to work or not.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Sehnsucht
posted December 30, 1999 08:01 AM            
I haven't a clue about how our firewall is set up at work, except that we don't have SOCKS enabled.

TM worked fine out of the box (so to speak), with nary a hitch.

Of course the awsome T1 ping was made up for by the horrible G200 I had in the box, I brought my old TNT1 16MB PCI from home to fix that. I get about 1.5-2x framerate on the PII/350 w/ the TNT1 than I do here at home on the k6-2/450 w/ TNT2U. Obviously, there has been little optimization in Beta 2.1

IP:

Cell
posted December 30, 1999 05:01 PM         

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted December 31, 1999 02:36 AM           
Sehnsucht,

So you're saying you get up to twice the frame rate on a P-II 350 than on a K6-2 450? I'm not sure what you mean about optimizations in Test 2.1, but it would seem to me that the K6-2 is slower because of its lackluster Floating Point Unit performance... I didn't realize that older AMD chips would be quite _that_ much slower, though. The Athlon is definitely a speed deamon, from personal experience.

It's likely that turning down terrain triangles will cause a big performance improvement on the K6-2, and the TNT2U will allow you to have textures at 512x512 and a 1024x768x32-bit display without much if any performance penalty.

------------------

IP:

Hawk
posted December 31, 1999 06:50 AM            
ooo....Athlon...heeheehee...*insert insane laughter*...fast be an understatement. I had a K6II-450 for a couple of weeks before my Voodoo 3 overtaxed the processor and I had to upgrade to a Pentium II 450. Voodoo 3 chips and K6-2 chips do NOT get along.

[This message has been edited by Hawk (edited December 31, 1999).]

IP:

Sehnsucht
posted January 01, 2000 02:32 AM            
Yeah, it's the FPU.

By optimizations I mean, if TM implemented 3dnow! accel, then the home machine would prolly get 2x the PII's rate.

But the normal FPU *totally* blows on K6 series processors..

Athlon, on the other hand.. heh

As soon as my VA Linux IPO check arrives and KX133 boards appear... whee !

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 01, 2000 06:54 AM           
There's not a lot that could be 3DNow! accelerated in Tread Marks, since the majority of 3D calculations are left up to the graphics driver, and the 3D math used for physics and other tasks is heavily interspersed with other misc floating point math. There aren't that many large runs of identical math that would be appropriate for 3DNow! acceleration.

I was under the impression that the latest TNT drivers had support for 3DNow! acceleration, but perhaps it either doesn't make as big a difference as expected, or it isn't enabled for the way I send triangles to the driver.

------------------

IP:

Hawk
posted January 01, 2000 07:45 AM            
Hey! We didn't die at midnight! It was all a hoax! Now what am I going to do with all these food supplies I have in the basement? Happy New Century (one year early),new Millennium (one year early)and New Year(impossible to have one year early unless we all celebrate 2001 early...have a good new year all

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 01, 2000 09:24 PM            
Missed one Hawk - Happy New Armaggedon! We just need a server with the Armaggedon Spewer attached!

he he he

IP:

Cell
posted January 01, 2000 10:59 PM         

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 02, 2000 01:56 AM           
Cell,

Uh oh. Are you serious about that? I see three servers up now... One is GameOnLine.it's server which is in Italy, and run by a fairly large and should-be reputable Italian on-line gaming site... And Thunderdome has been around for a while, so I hope it is legitimate. The last one is NGI, which looks like another Italian multi-player gaming site with multiple dedicated servers for various games.

Now that the Demo is almost out and the full version is being manufactured, I'll start looking into getting a fast dedicated server again so we can at least run a set of "Official LDA" demo and full version servers.

------------------

IP:

Cell
posted January 02, 2000 09:28 AM         

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 02, 2000 01:38 PM            
Well, in about a week, my server will be back up. Thats a safe server...er, assuming you don't occasionally mind nuclear hell... ...usually its semi-sane, unless a mining hawk decides to join - or a mining peeet or mining kaeto...he he he...then expect major mining deformations...I've occasionally been known as "(TC)Random Chaos' Mining Tank for Terrain Deformation" when hawk and peeet are both arround!

What chaos can be done to a map...just look at the "Best of Screen Shots" on my site or "Hawk's Jumpgate" for an idea - just wish my site would come back up!

As for hackers, I've had my experience while playing TM - but I was on my own server, so I know that it wasn't from the server. Had to reboot to get rid of them! They had complete control over mouse and keyboard input on the computer (which was my roommates). Made piloting a tank quite hard when they would spin me just as I went to make a shot!

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com
treadmarks@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Hawk
posted January 02, 2000 02:19 PM            
Ever felt like firing a nuclear bomb into a parked car? Ever just wanted to jump into a tank and flatten a city park? Well, you're in luck! Extreme Tank! will allow you to do just that! Lasers? Yeah, we've got that! Rocket propelled grenades? We can do that! Nuclear missiles? Of course! For the low, low price of approximately 85 dollars (plus tax) you can blow up things real good! Sound like fun? Of course it does! Jump on board th' killin' machine TODAY! Offer expires while you wait. Operators are standing by...
OR
Tread Marks lets you flatten maps with over 10 hyper-powered weapons! Order today! Whee!Boom! Splat! Operators are standing by.

I can't wait until the game's released!
(Saturday 8 Jan sounds good to me, RC)

[This message has been edited by Hawk (edited January 02, 2000).]

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 03, 2000 04:25 AM           
Cell,

Since the two .IT sites appear to be pretty legit (lots of other servers for other games, etc.), my guess would be that someone was scanning for foreign IPs on the network connecting the Tread Marks server to the net... Which wouldn't surprise me a lot for Italy.

Random,

Er, you do realize that losing control of your mouse and keyboard to a hacker means that the computer is infected with a trojan horse, and it'll still be there in the future unless it is cleaned and removed.

In general, as long as a) your system is free of trojans or viruses (and if it is infected, you're in trouble anyway), and b) Microsoft Windows Networking and File and Print Sharing are Disabled for the modem/internet's TCP/IP properties, and NetBEUI and IPX/SPX are also Disabled for the internet connection, then there shouldn't really be anything that a hacker can do to you even if they have your IP (aside from Denial Of Service attacks).

------------------

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 03, 2000 05:45 PM            
Seumas - it wasn't my computer...its my roommates! Not much I can do.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 04, 2000 10:13 PM           
Random, I realized it was your roommate's computer, but that's still a very very bad state to leave a computer in (being infected with trojans and/or viruses).

------------------

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 05, 2000 12:39 PM            
Random, you sure that you were actually being controlled? cause in TM, bad lag can make you r tank drive itself around...

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted January 05, 2000 05:15 PM            
Yeah, I am Kaeto - after I left TM the mouse moved itself to the "Start/Shutdown" menu and then went up and clicked "Shutdown" on its own...

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 05, 2000 07:28 PM            
Hehe... Time for an Anti-virus!

IP: