|
Author Topic:   Idea for a future patch...
Sehnsucht
posted December 20, 1999 01:37 AM            
How about allowing anyone to log the game (not just the server) and when it's not the server logging, whenever you screencap it prints a message to the log saying which image was just cap'd, that way you could have a sort of illustrated log

(would be great fun when doing things like mining)

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted December 20, 1999 05:23 PM            
How about a free Dedicated Server only version for both the PC and Linux. It would mean people can run servers without buying the game...

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com
treadmarks@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted December 20, 1999 06:28 PM           
That's not really possible, since that would require giving the entire set of game data away for free, merely lacking the executable required for single player. I don't think requiring people to buy the full game before running a full game dedicated server will be much of a problem.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Sehnsucht
posted December 27, 1999 05:12 AM            
But what about my idea?!

IP:

Sehnsucht
posted December 27, 1999 05:12 AM            
But what about my idea?!

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted December 27, 1999 10:59 AM            
I have an idea by which your method would work best:

Put it in a log file containing the following:

1: Path and Name of file captured
2: Date and Time of file captured
3: The Map name
4: The Server Name or"Single Player"
5: "-------------------" Seperator for next entry

This should be easy to place in the screenshot directory or the TM working directory - don't know which is better. The most important parts are the Map and Server once there become LOTS of servers.

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com
treadmarks@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted December 27, 1999 11:02 AM            
As for my idea (entry 2) I thought that I could do a better explanation:

You said at one point that you might do a Linux command line server. What I was refering to was the same sort of thing for the PC.

Also, are you going to be porting it to any other systems soon?

--Random Chaos

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted December 27, 1999 04:32 PM           
Sehnsucht,

I believe the clients can log the game, if you turn on logging in your client's config.cfg file. In Test 2.1 the log file will grow quite quickly though; I think I've reduced the rate that performance stats are output in the current version. I don't think there is any info logged about screen shot captures, but that is something I can add.

Random,

A Linux dedicated server version would require that the server operator own the full game as well, so it wouldn't be much different than the current dedicated server operation mode for Windows, which can be at least started from the command line.

No hard plans for ports yet. After we finish recovering from this Christmas Flu and get the Shareware Demo out, there's DX-Ball 2, Particle Fire, and Texturizer. We might get someone else to do a Mac port, and I am still interested in trying a Linux port myself.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted December 28, 1999 12:30 PM            
Ah, ok. I think I misunderstood what you had ment by a linux command line server.

IP: