|
Author Topic:   Texture Corruption
Kaeto
posted December 17, 1999 12:34 PM            
I just got my Viper II in. I am quite pleased with its performance. I have a MAJOR problem, though. In TM, the textures are completely corrupted. They are random bands of color. It doesn't matter whether I'm in 16 or 32 bit mode, it messes up. My question for you (LDA) is, is it possible this is from running TM in software mode before I had this card?

IP:

LDA Jim
Administrator
posted December 17, 1999 01:53 PM            
Software mode shouldn't matter.

Have you run GLSetup 110 from www.GLSetup.com?

We've found that the beta drivers via GLSetup are often better than the drivers that come with new cards.

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted December 17, 1999 08:55 PM            
From talk with Kaeto:

KaetoTC: GLsetup doesn't have my video card...
KaetoTC: my card was only released last week

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted December 18, 1999 05:45 PM           
From one of your other posts I'm guessing that it's an S3 Savage 2000? We have tested on the Savage 3D and Savage 4 without trouble, but S3 hasn't sent us a Savage 2K yet.

Also, exactly which textures are corrupted? This can be an important clue. Just the terrain textures, or ALL textures? And if only the terrain textures, does it help much to Disable the tank Treadmarks in the Options Screen?

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

[This message has been edited by LDA Seumas (edited December 18, 1999).]

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 19, 1999 02:42 PM            
Ahh, never mind... I hadn't installed the USB supplement to win95.. You need it for AGP cards to work... Wierd how D3D worked but OGL didn't. My only complaint is that in this driver revision the T&L engine is disabled... So at times my FPS drops to ~20 (when 100 or 200 nukes go off on RC's nuke server LOL!)

Yeah, it's an S2K...

[This message has been edited by Kaeto (edited December 19, 1999).]

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted December 19, 1999 05:07 PM           
T&L probably won't help when there are 100 nukes going off at once, as the biggest drain nuke explosions cause is in fill rate. There aren't that many polygons in the explosions, but they are big and transparent, which eats fill rate. I'm surprised your Savage 2K is actually keeping a decent frame rate during that many nukes, as RC said on a TNT-2 it was dropping to 1 FPS with 100 nukes. The S2K must have pretty good fill rate after all.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted December 19, 1999 09:32 PM            
Yeah, 1FPS on a TNT2 and 1FPS on a Voodoo3!

And yes, 100 nukes at once is a lot

IP:

Hawk
posted December 20, 1999 05:38 PM            
One Frame Per Second = Arrgh... 100 nukes= level flattening. Hmm...even trade-off

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 21, 1999 08:39 AM            
Hmm. Well, with the S2K clocked all the way up, it's fill rate is something over 700Mtexels or something like that. 2X the speed of a V3 3500, and about 3-4 times as fast as the un-overclocked v3 2k that Hawk has... Damn!

Hmm. Just ran a test... Guess my guessing of FPS is a little off... with exactly 100 nukes going off, I get ~15 FPS...

[This message has been edited by Kaeto (edited December 21, 1999).]

IP: