|
Author Topic:   My server - problems
Random Chaos (TC)
posted December 01, 1999 10:57 PM            
Sorry to everyone that has been on my server and has had it unexpectedly go down these last couple of days. My computer has a memory leak in a program somewhere. Already killed the 2 biggest offending programs, but I still have one out there. I keep running out of memory as a result, unless I periodically clean memory. If I don't, my computer freezes and I have to reboot.

As for the occastional lag in game on my server, its usually caused when a hard disk spins up from sleep mode. Doesn't happen that offten, but it does. The other reason it lags up is the memory leak offender. As the Kernal goes to transfer memory to virtual memory on disk, the whole system lags up for a short time.

As soon as I can find this offending program (I actually think it might be Netscape) and can either delete it or upgrade it, I will be back to normal. As it is, my server will usually be up, but watch out for unexpected termination of the server if my computer freezes.

Also, if the server suddenly disconects you in mid game and you can't seem to find it to log on, it will probably be down for about 5 minutes while I fight my system to get it rebooted.

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com
treadmarks@3d-unlimited.com

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (TC) (edited December 01, 1999).]

IP:

Dreamer
posted December 07, 1999 11:27 AM         
_Poor_ RC...

------------------
Remember to live your dreams.

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted December 09, 1999 12:14 PM            
Well, I just want to tell you, my server will be down over my winter break - from December 17/18 until January 8/9.

I will be switching my server over to the Demo as soon as it comes out - which should be by next week - assuming of course that the Demo has network support...

Upon returning from Winter Break, I will be putting up the Full Version of the game on my server...

------------------
Random Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted December 13, 1999 09:33 AM            
I wanted to say what the Mods to my server are since I have made a few changes:
(Original Name on Beta 2.1 server = Actual Name as seen on the Demo/Final version server - can't wait! )

Plasma Mine = EMP Shockwave
- This weapon gives a spherical pulse from your tank and at high speeds hits yourself
- Its powerful (45 pts of damage, decreses with distace).

Swarmers = Spire Makers
- This weapon creates spires - fun to use.
- Gives a HUGE kick to any tank at or near the forming spire.
- INCRESED DAMAGE! This weapon now does decent damage (up from the 2pt direct hit, 0.5pt splash). It does 10pt direct hit and 5 pt splash damage.

Ramdrill = Plasma Pulser
- High fire rate - almost as fast as the Machine Gun.
- High deformation - NEVER let an AI tank near this gun!
- High damage (I dropped it TOO much): 6pts direct hit.
- No Splash Push, but nice kick. Rocks the enemy tank about
- TURRET MOUNTED! Even though it doesn't look like it, it is. Can't wait for the Demo/Final when this will then look right!
- PROJECILE DRIVEN! This runs on a projectile and has movement equivilent to the Laser in terms of gravity, inertia, and spiral. Note: THE PROJECTILE IS CURRENTLY INVISIBLE - this will be fixed under the Demo/Final versions.

The reason for the problems with the RamDrill under Beta2.1 and not under Demo/Final is due to Beta2.1 not downloading the Entities to the Client thus the client DOES NOT KNOW that there is a change to the weapon.

------------------
Random Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted December 18, 1999 09:01 AM            
Have a good Christmas and New Year! I am leaving in 10 minutes, so I won't see anyone until January in TM (most likely).

My server has been down since last night...
When I return, I will be posting all my varoius server mods - so many more allowed with the final version I understand!

------------------
Random Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com

IP: