This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Landscape complaint
Dreamer
posted December 01, 1999 08:16 AM         
Well, I never complained about this game. Really. Except that now I cannot help criticizing those BMP-Trees.
I mean, LDA, have you ever even thought about changing them to at least some semblance of 3D objects? Look, for example, at the trees in the Worms videos... Something like that shouldn't be too hard to accomplish and would imho greatly increase the visual quality of TM.
I know this may be a little late, but I really _am_ fed up with those Comanche-Style, out-of-date gfx. These don't fit in with the other - admittedly superb - landscape and tank gfx.

Btw... ever thought about adding sheep and rabbits to put a little life into TM? Might be fun, I think.

So much for my latest twopence.

------------------
Remember to live your dreams.

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted December 01, 1999 10:26 AM            
Well, it shouldn't be too hard to create a tree entity that uses a normal mesh system.
I have to agree with him, LDA, the trees need work.

As for sheep and rabits, look under "Squishy" in the entities folder! They are coming - but LDA won't tell me what they will do...

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com
treadmarks@3d-unlimited.com

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (TC) (edited December 01, 1999).]

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted December 01, 1999 10:50 AM           
The problem with fully 3D trees is that good ones take Lots and Lots of triangles, so you can either have a handful of high quality ones, or a lot of lousey ones that don't look much better than sprites anyway. We don't use trees that often, but one of the maps has about a thousand of them, and polygonal trees would simply be impractical for that sort of density.

Sheep and Kangaroos are in the game now. Rabbits might not make it in.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Dreamer
posted December 02, 1999 05:59 AM         
I see that my prayers went not unheard. Still, LDA, look at the trees in the Worms video clips. I mean Worms I. These look absolutely _great_ and imho would really suit the idea of TM
Btw: As for kangaroos and sheep: DO they bleed? DO they?
Ah, I just thought of sth.... How about adding Dukes to run down (like Qrally)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited December 02, 1999).]

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted December 02, 1999 02:10 PM            
Hmm - lets see, spawn a "Spewer" as the sheep exposion entity...

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com
treadmarks@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

Akuma the Lounge Lizzard
posted December 02, 1999 09:10 PM         
Let ther be Sheep to kill & mow overinto a bloody good mess. Oh LDA, if its not to much trouble, can you code it so that the tanks leave a short red trail on the ground after running over sheep??????? Anyone who has been around sheep for long know were I'm coming from when I say they are the most ungodly stupid animals ever. (that is why its fun to plow them down with a steam roller)

IP:

Kaeto's cookies are messy
unregistered
posted December 04, 1999 01:44 PM           
LOL!!!!

IP:

Sidewinder
unregistered
posted December 05, 1999 11:45 PM           
DOoon't
kill the lovely sheep!

they rule

IP:

Dreamer
posted December 06, 1999 06:48 AM         
All. Sheep. Must. Die.
Well, seems the opinions concerning sheep vary...
LDA, maybe you could code the sheep with a squishables-on squishables-off switch in one of the menus. Perhaps even a "splatter"-option?

------------------

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted December 06, 1999 01:48 PM            
Well, at least bouncing sheep must die...

IP:

Hawk
posted December 06, 1999 08:33 PM            
Death to sheep!

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 08, 1999 05:33 PM            
The reason the Anti-Sheep sentiments are so high is that I, Kaeto, King of All, selected the anti sheep flag as my own... Then came the followers, and since then...

IP:

Akuma the Lounge Lizzard
posted December 09, 1999 02:31 AM         
Kaeto, what are you talking abotu?? I've hated sheep since I had to raise one in the FFA 7 years ago. Those friggin animals are just really really really stupid. So in short, Kill all the ****ing sheep! And especialy that puppet "Lamb Chop".

------------------
"Once, twice, & then a thrice, nothing cuts as nice as a knife." Praise the Blade buy Ishok

IP:

Qwerty
unregistered
posted December 10, 1999 08:50 PM           
I couldn't help but notice the anti-sheep campaign in this thread. I want to let you know that a lemmings-style game is coming out that will feature sheep as the creatures you herd. They will be killed in a plethoric multitude of ways in a great variety. the game will be called 'Sheep'
don't ask me why.

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted December 10, 1999 11:04 PM            
oooh! Fun!

IP:

Dreamer
posted December 11, 1999 07:19 AM         
Well, fun it may be, but the idea is not altogether new...
Anyone remember Lamers?

------------------------
Hail and Kill.

IP:

Dreamer
posted December 11, 1999 07:28 AM         
Well, I know it might be considered silly to post two different msgs within two minutes, but this a _new_ idr.
Now for something completely different:
LDA, hear my prayers, your faithful sevant calls. Let there be a mode whitin the celestial game you promised to us, which is beknown unto us as the game of "Tread Marks" that lets your humble acolytes run down those fiendish demons bearing the appelation of "sheep". Let us all compete in an attempt to please you, let us all join and see how many of those bastards can be run down in how small amount of time. Let fur and little pieces of chopped sheep rain down upon the planes of Tread Marks, so the smell of burnt meat and oil can reach you on Mount Olympus and our songs of your majesty and greatness shall rise through the spheres as into glory we ride.
Amen. (please?)

------------------
Hail and kill.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted December 22, 1999 03:29 AM           
Sorry Dreamer, the Sheep are um, "Super Sheep".

But what do you think of the idea that instead of putting a Capture the Flag mode in the first Tread Marks Upgrade, we do Capture the Sheep?

------------------

IP:

Dreamer
posted December 22, 1999 07:43 AM         
What do you mean, 'super sheep'? You don't mean to say we cannot kill them by driving into them, do you? If, why are they classified as 'squishable'?
Plus, have you thought about my suggestion concerning an AI squishable with the abilty to collect and use weapons?
Apart from that, thx for re.

------------------
Hail and kill.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted December 22, 1999 05:01 PM           
Well, squish-y doesn't necessarily mean squish-able.

The squishy entities weren't a big priority during initial development, but they might be enhanced with the ability to be configured to blow up in the first Upgrade to Tread Marks.

------------------

IP:

peeet
posted December 22, 1999 05:20 PM         
uh, sheep in the desert (i.e scarab map)?

i think that the species of the squishables should be in line with the landscape...

and what about a city map in the future? you know, buildings, bridges, cars (what fun to squash a car with a tank!!!) and, of course, innocent bystanders!

or am i getting too sick?

IP:

Random Chaos (TC)
posted December 22, 1999 06:50 PM            
Hmm, knowing how the entities are made, it shouldn't be too hard to do that...

IP:

Akuma the Lounge Lizzard
posted December 23, 1999 12:43 AM         
A city based map would rock, If one gets done, model it after Cleavland Ohio (I hate driveing there). And could we have the sheep be squashable, pretty pretty please?? Instead of capture the sheep you have kill the sheep. Were the point is to kill off the enemy's herd of sheep.

IP:

peeet
posted December 23, 1999 11:10 AM         
the terrain is created by a grid of elevations... buildings can't be created like that because of vertical side walls...

i guess buildings could be simulated (near vert. sides), but how to "paint" the texture on the sides? (isn't the texture "applied" from above?)

so, i guess LDA would have to make a major modification to add buildings and bridges...?

would seem like a great addition, tho!

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 23, 1999 01:53 PM            
Peeet: Look at the Guard tower, the Scarabs, the ladies... They are polymodels set on the terrain. You could do buildings the same way...

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2