|
Author Topic:   Rage Pro and GLDirect
Random Chaos (TC)
posted November 30, 1999 02:50 AM            
I found that GL Direct seemed to cause a large memory leakage in Kernal32, eating up a good percentage of the CPU time and a huge amount of memory - increasing until the system dies.

I have found a potential solution for the Rage Pro problem, but since I don't have a Rage Pro based card with me, I can't test it for several weeks. It is a beta driver produced by a 3rd party and it has been optimized to Quake III, thus it should work with TM - let me know.
http://www.rageon.com/html/drivers.html

Second, as I stated earlier, GLDirect seems to cause an error when uninstalling and then running a program that need OpenGL32.DLL. I have also found a solution to this:
After unistalling GLDirect and rebooting, download and run ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Softlib/MSLFILES/Opengl95.exe .
Then, copy "opengl32.dll" to your win9x/system directory replacing the existing opengl32.dll that was installed with GLDirect.

For those that still need/want to use GLDirect, it's at http://www.scitechsoft.com

------------------
Random Chaos
Site admin for http://treadmarks.3d-unlimited.com
Member of Clan Temporal Chaos
randomc@3d-unlimited.com
treadmarks@3d-unlimited.com

IP:

peeet
unregistered
posted November 30, 1999 09:58 AM           
i also found that glDirect uses lots of memory. my game screen freezes for 1/2 second every once in a while when the hard drive is being hit when using glDirect (running on a PII 300Mhz w/ 64Mb RAM and RagePro).
overall, game is much smoother, but the smoke doesn't fade properly and you can get completely blinded at times.

as far as that optomized driver, i tried it a few weeks ago & it didn't help... you can also find this driver and other info. at ATI's web site:
http://www.atitech.com/ca_us/spdrivers/index.html

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted December 01, 1999 11:22 AM           
Another solution we've just found is the Alt.Software OpenGL wrapper. To try it out, go to www.altsoftware.com, click on OpenGL, and download the wrapper. Then rename the altogl.dll to opengl32.dll and place it in the Tread Marks Test directory (not your Windows directory!).

It works for us, and about as fast as GLDirect, so we may ship this on the CD instead.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 08, 1999 05:35 PM            
My PERSONAL feeling is the GLDirect SUCKS! I have never seen it work anyway other than horrible...

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 13, 1999 06:30 PM            
FYI, altgl DOES work on a ragepro, with some WIERD look, according to my friend who has 4mb rage pro. He sez all numbers all over the screen...

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted December 13, 1999 08:58 PM           
There is a landscape texture corruption problem with the alt.software D3D wrapper, but the latest version of the game will detect when it's running on the wrapper and work around the problem. When we tested it here with the fix, the textures looked fine on the Rage Pro.

------------------

IP:

peeet
posted December 14, 1999 10:30 AM         
altgl seems to work ok on my home pc - better than gldirect, anyway (PII, 64Mb, Rage Pro)

but, with the way that smoke doesn't fade properly, i can be blinded up to 50% of the time!

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted December 22, 1999 03:26 AM           
peeet,

To combat smoke blindness, have you tried toggling camera modes with the Delete key, and/or toggling Turret View with the M key? One combination of those modes on and off should let you see enough to drive without being blinded.

------------------

IP:

peeet
posted December 22, 1999 12:19 PM         
yup - i am getting better at maneuvering the view and turret, and it helps...

i'm still really disappointed with ATI in that they didn't even respond to any of my many emails asking for support.

they have lost a customer and i am saving up for a TNT2 card!

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 24, 1999 12:47 PM            
Peeet, don't get a TNT2 unless you can get it for < $160 (US)... That's what I paid for my Viper II at egghead.com

IP:

peeet
posted December 27, 1999 09:35 AM         
i'm hoping that now that the Viper II is out, the V770's price will come down (or maybe easier to find on auction site...)

by the way, Pyle recommended a TNT2 for me and recommended against the TNT2 Ultra chipset - is there a reason not to get it (besides xtra cost)? i want to keep the SVideo output like my ATI card, but only the V770 Ultra has it...

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 27, 1999 05:32 PM            
The reason to get the normal TNT2 is that you can overclock it.. but if you have the cash, go for the TNT2 Ultra... It is in no way WORSE than the TNT2, just has more speed and a few extras...

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted December 27, 1999 06:25 PM           
I haven't heard about any problems with the TNT2 Ultra chipset. I've been running a Creative Labs TNT2 Ultra in my development machine under Windows NT 4.0 for a couple of months now, and it has performed exceptionally well.

------------------

IP:

Sehnsucht_at_Work
posted December 28, 1999 04:26 PM            
ultimate TNT2 Ultra board:

ASUS V3800 Ultra Deluxe!

32MB, AGP, TV in/out, shutter glasses (useless cept in D3D and only if your monitor supports 2x normal refresh rates), TNT2 Ultra of course, video capture at up to 30fps both fields at full res (NTSC - PAL is of course 25fps), etc, etc. I love it

IP:

peeet
posted December 28, 1999 04:32 PM         
if u dont mind me asking, where did u get it & how much?

IP:

Sehnsucht
posted December 29, 1999 02:39 AM            
It was IIRC about $200 + S&H, and I got it from www.sg3d.com.

I ordered it next day air - and it arrived next day (well, I ordered in the middle of the night so it was really 2 days sorta, but ya know..)

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 29, 1999 09:00 AM            
The shutters don't work with OGL? wierd... I believe that the 2 other ones I've seen did... And isn't there a cheaper ver of that card w/o the glasses, but with everything else?

IP:

peeet
posted December 29, 1999 12:03 PM         
thanks! i got on sg3d.com & think i found the card for me, which i'll get if noone can say anything bad 'bout it.

the Leadtek S320II-32 looks good to me. has the TNT2 and TVout for ~$95 new, which is what i was looking for!

IP:

Kaeto
posted December 29, 1999 02:56 PM            
From what I've seen, leadtek makes perfectly fine cards, unless anyone has a complaint about them... Also, Guellemont (how the HELL am I supposed to spell that!) makes a similar card you may want to check out... For price comparisons, check out http://www.reactorcritical.com/cards.shtml

It rocks...

IP:

peeet
posted December 29, 1999 04:31 PM         
thanks, but NG - the site showed the Guellemont (i don't know how to spell it either!) card sa $102+, and only 16 MB...
didn't even list the Leadtek @ $95 (i found that price @ pricewatch.com, too)

:peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

IP:

Sehnsucht
posted December 30, 1999 08:08 AM            
well, if you don't mind skimping on the bundled software etc, Leadtek is great. Their hardware is good, and their driver's tend to be good too.

And yes, the ASUS glasses only work in D3d.

It could be done in GL I'm sure, but I'm guessing they just didn't bother to code in the support into the GL driver.

IP: