|
Author Topic:   RagePro Problem?
pj
unregistered
posted November 10, 1999 09:09 AM           
I have tried Treadmarks 2.1 on 3 different pc's that have ATI Rage Pro graphics cards, and I can only get the game to run in software mode. Whenever I try to use haardware mode, the game menu works, but the program stops when the actual game is to begin (or even if i change the resolution settings in options).
I have already installed Directx7.0 and used glSetup to configure the cards...
Has anyone else run into this problem? Know of a fix?
This is an awesome game, and I can't wait to play multiplayer on the net- but I'm not getting into the ring with you guys until things flow a bit smoother on this end!

IP:

Pulsar
unregistered
posted November 10, 1999 10:55 AM           
Woohoo! Someone else having problems! See my post "A crash" or something like that - I have a Rage LT Pro AGP 2X chip in my laptop and it crashes every time on "Loading Map" when I'm in hardware mode. My first crashes were in the A3D DLL actually, so I disabled A3D sound, but I'm still getting crashes. Page faults, to be precise. Oh, and my drivers are new...downloaded them just yesterday...

IP:

Kaeto
posted November 10, 1999 12:43 PM            
I too, have had problems on Rage Pro Machines. I attribute it to the fact that, and ya gotta admit this, the Rage Pro REALLY stinks. My pmmx 233 with a rendition v2100 blows away in terms of performance, my friends k6/2-350 /w Rage Pro. That's kinda sad, for a chip that's what, a year newer.

IP:

pj
unregistered
posted November 10, 1999 02:19 PM           
so, what you're saying, is, that

I'M SCREWED!!!

i don't even see an error message when the program quits! is there any way of logging what the computer is doing while the program runs?

please help, i LOVE this game!

IP:

flybynight
posted November 10, 1999 07:33 PM            
1.go to your treadmarks directory.
2.Open the folder "docs"
3.open the "readme.html."
4. It tells you where to send bug reports and tells you to turn logging ON in the config.cfg file and attach it to your bug report email.

Hope to see you online!

PS: I know there were problems with the voodoo3, people were having problems with the first updated drivers from 3dfx (not this game, but halflife and others). I had problems with the brand new ones as well with games that always worked. I STRONGLY suggest you reinstall old, maybe even original, drivers off the cd, if you still have it. Card companies these days...

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted November 11, 1999 01:12 AM           
We are aware of this problem...

We didn't have a RagePro set up to test with for the last while, since the earlier versions of the game mostly/sort of worked, but we've just installed a RagePro again and are seeing the same behaviour you are; the menus work, but the program dies when starting a game. The ironic thing is, what I suspect is partly causing the problem is code I've added to make the game do things more along the lines of "the right way" as far as OpenGL goes, which has greatly improved stability on e.g. 3DFX Voodoo3 cards.

I've contacted ATI about this, and perhaps there will be a driver fix or a work-around possible. For now, all I can suggest is that if you have a RagePro, you think about upgrading to a real 3D accelerator. Even an old Riva TNT-1 (which you can get in PCI flavors) beats a Rage Pro silly. And of course, the Rage128 is very nice as well.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted November 11, 1999 01:26 AM           
As for 3DFX drivers, we've found that the latest drivers in GLSetup at www.glsetup.com provide the best stability with Tread Marks.

------------------

IP:

Pulsar
unregistered
posted November 11, 1999 09:51 AM           
"For now, all I can suggest is that if you have a RagePro, you think about upgrading to a real 3D accelerator."

Ouch. That sucks...guess I won't be playing/buying Treadmarks then. I don't feel like ditching my entire laptop just because some game isn't compatible with the graphics chip in it. And I tried it on my desktop computer, but apparently I need a better card than my old Voodoo Rush, because it's giving me errors and crashes there.

IP:

pj
unregistered
posted November 11, 1999 11:35 AM           
yes, ouch...
i'm not really into computer games, but i like this game so much that i am considering buying a card that will work!
this game reminds me of a "role playing" game i used to play when i was in middle school, called Car Wars, where you outfit a car with weapons and then drive around and kill each other!

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted November 11, 1999 07:34 PM           
What sort of errors and crashes on the Voodoo Rush? It _should_ work on the Rush, as long as you use the latest GLSetup to install Rush drivers, and then run the "Voodoo OpenGL" version of Tread Marks.

I will see what I can do about adding a work-around that will let the game work on Rage Pros... Even if it will work on them though, there are a number of graphical glitches inherent in limitations of the Rage Pro hardware that make the game look sub-optimal, such as opaque smoke that doesn't fade out properly, and extra harsh Detail Texturing. Considering how many Rage Pros are out there (especially in laptops), the best thing to do in general would be for you to contact ATI technical support about the problem running Tread Marks on their Rage Pro drivers, since with the way the game works almost flawlessly on all other cards, it really is their drivers that are to blame as far as I can tell.

------------------

IP:

pj
unregistered
posted November 12, 1999 09:43 AM           
yes, i agree about ATI, even though i own one of their cards... they should be more careful to make their crap compatible w/ the current standards, if that's what they advertise!!!!!!!!!!!! i will definitely contact them...

(p.s. my home pc has a RagePro II chipset, i think... is there a difference between RagePro and RagePro II ?)

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted November 13, 1999 06:32 AM           
I'm not familiar with a "RagePro II", though I know there is a "Rage II" chipset, which is even older and slower than the RagePro.

------------------

IP: